Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Herowatcher View Post
    Since I'd rather have the Goble Guardians back and sponsored by the UN,
    I'd make Checkmate more like the 1st series and similar to Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D.

Now, perhaps it's because I'm not up on how Shield functions these days, but Checkmate seemed similar to them in Rucka's run. How did you see them as different? (Also, there's so many of these organizations in DC - Argus, Checkmate, Spyral, etc, etc - it's hard to keep track.)
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Now, perhaps it's because I'm not up on how Shield functions these days, but Checkmate seemed similar to them in Rucka's run. How did you see them as different? (Also, there's so many of these organizations in DC - Argus, Checkmate, Spyral, etc, etc - it's hard to keep track.)
    You're definitely right about Rucka's run being similar to Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D.
    I should've just said "make Checkmate more like the 1st series, similar to Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D., but under U.S. control".

Me bad.
    "History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Herowatcher View Post
    Since I'd rather have the Goble Guardians back and sponsored by the UN,
    I'd make Checkmate more like the 1st series and similar to Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D.

I'd be fine with that as long as they kept Rucka's command structure. It was very unique to Checkmate and set it apart from all the other generic organizations like Argus.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I'd be fine with that as long as they kept Rucka's command structure. It was very unique to Checkmate and set it apart from all the other generic organizations like Argus.
    Yes! I loved the balance, and the white/black chess piece pageantry. It gave everything a fun but serious-feeling structure.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Thou,wasnt that a bit like the Hellfire club?
    And yes,Rucka's run was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawGunStar View Post
    Thou,wasnt that a bit like the Hellfire club?
    And yes,Rucka's run was awesome.
    There's a similarity in pageantry, but Checkmate, for all its moral ambiguity, is clearly heroic.

Another Rucka Checkmate fan! Such a good series.

I really miss this series.
    I don't see Bendis being able to do it justice. His command structure already seems a lot less interesting than Rucka's.
    I also dislike how Sasha is now a Leviathan agent with no speaking role so far.

I'm surprised this thread was still open given the more recent one got closed down.

Anyway, I wonder how things would have been like if Dick and Roy were in Spyral and Checkmate at the same time.

I really miss this series.
    I don't see Bendis being able to do it justice. His command structure already seems a lot less interesting than Rucka's.
    I also dislike how Sasha is now a Leviathan agent with no speaking role so far.
    I am much more interested in the Manhunter miniseries than the Checkmate miniseries, which disappoints me.

Do we know that Sasha is in Leviathan?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm surprised this thread was still open given the more recent one got closed down.

Anyway, I wonder how things would have been like if Dick and Roy were in Spyral and Checkmate at the same time.
    That would've been so good. It still would be. Make it happen DC!
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

So I was bored and created new line-ups for Checkmate and the Global Guardians:

The idea here is that Sasha Bordeaux and Brion Markov (Geo-Force) would rebuild Checkmate to oppose Leviathan.
    They would be queen and king.
    Their bishops and advisors would be Taleb Beni Khalid and Valentina Vostok.
    Khalid would be especialized in Checkmate's black ops side, while Vostok would handle international relations, effectivelly becoming the head of Checkmate's public face: the new Global Guardians.
    The rooks would be Faraday (coordinating covert missions) and Dr Mist (coordinating the Guardians).
    Tiger and Lady Blackhawk would be the knights, the leaders of the other knights pictured. The pawns would handle support and are not on the image.

The book would start like a game of chess: one queen, one king, two bishops, two rooks and so on. Things would change and evolve as the stories progressed.
    At first there'd be no Black and White divide, they'd all be part of the same side against Leviathan. Of course, Valentina would try to get the White Queen position back as her role as head of Guardians grew...

Meanwhile, Maxwell Lord would return and take over America's secret agencies, controlling both what remained of A.R.G.U.S. and Task Force X.
    The Guardians would be oblivious to their Checkmate connection, but Vixen and Nubia would soon find out they're just pawns in a larger game..

I am much more interested in the Manhunter miniseries than the Checkmate miniseries, which disappoints me.

Do we know that Sasha is in Leviathan?
    Someone that looked a lot like her appeared in Leavithan Dawn alongside Mark Shaw.

Someone that looked a lot like her appeared in Leavithan Dawn alongside Mark Shaw.
    I like your ideas for a layout.

Did the person in Leviathan Dawn have the cybernetic eye?

I like your ideas for a layout.

Did the person in Leviathan Dawn have the cybernetic eye?
    Thank you

I kind of like Bendis' team too, but not as Checkmate.
    I say Green Arrow, the Question and Manhunter should join Black Lightning and Katana as the New Outsiders. A black-ops team that acts independently from any other organization or government.
    I don't like how the current Outsiders team is so Bat-centric. I think Batman, Signal and Cassandra should star in a new Gotham Knights.

And yes, the character looked just like Sasha, cybernetic eye and all.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

So I was bored and created new line-ups for Checkmate and the Global Guardians:

The idea here is that Sasha Bordeaux and Brion Markov (Geo-Force) would rebuild Checkmate to oppose Leviathan.
    They would be queen and king.
    Their bishops and advisors would be Taleb Beni Khalid and Valentina Vostok.
    Khalid would be especialized in Checkmate's black ops side, while Vostok would handle international relations, effectivelly becoming the head of Checkmate's public face: the new Global Guardians.
    The rooks would be Faraday (coordinating covert missions) and Dr Mist (coordinating the Guardians).
    Tiger and Lady Blackhawk would be the knights, the leaders of the other knights pictured. The pawns would handle support and are not on the image.

The book would start like a game of chess: one queen, one king, two bishops, two rooks and so on. Things would change and evolve as the stories progressed.
    At first there'd be no Black and White divide, they'd all be part of the same side against Leviathan. Of course, Valentina would try to get the White Queen position back as her role as head of Guardians grew...

Meanwhile, Maxwell Lord would return and take over America's secret agencies, controlling both what remained of A.R.G.U.S. and Task Force X.
    The Guardians would be oblivious to their Checkmate connection, but Vixen and Nubia would soon find out they're just pawns in a larger game..

Nice Iineup!

Nightshade and Bronze Tiger in checkmate are my dreams!!!

I'm new to checkmate so questions. What is checkmate, are they good guy or dead?