Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    So I was bored and created new line-ups for Checkmate and the Global Guardians:

The idea here is that Sasha Bordeaux and Brion Markov (Geo-Force) would rebuild Checkmate to oppose Leviathan.
    They would be queen and king.
    Their bishops and advisors would be Taleb Beni Khalid and Valentina Vostok.
    Khalid would be especialized in Checkmate's black ops side, while Vostok would handle international relations, effectivelly becoming the head of Checkmate's public face: the new Global Guardians.
    The rooks would be Faraday (coordinating covert missions) and Dr Mist (coordinating the Guardians).
    Tiger and Lady Blackhawk would be the knights, the leaders of the other knights pictured. The pawns would handle support and are not on the image.

The book would start like a game of chess: one queen, one king, two bishops, two rooks and so on. Things would change and evolve as the stories progressed.
    At first there'd be no Black and White divide, they'd all be part of the same side against Leviathan. Of course, Valentina would try to get the White Queen position back as her role as head of Guardians grew...

Meanwhile, Maxwell Lord would return and take over America's secret agencies, controlling both what remained of A.R.G.U.S. and Task Force X.
    The Guardians would be oblivious to their Checkmate connection, but Vixen and Nubia would soon find out they're just pawns in a larger game..

Someone that looked a lot like her appeared in Leavithan Dawn alongside Mark Shaw.
    I'd leave Tiger out due to his association with Spyral and his name is redundant if Bronze Tiger is present. Also, I prefer Nightshade with Shadowpact but Andrea Rojas would be a good substitute if you're looking for a shadow teleporter. Otherwise a decent line up.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 04-26-2020 at 11:48 PM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Ok... how bad is Event Leviathan? Its not Rucka's Checkmate but are fans up in arms? I dug Bendis' Batman Universe and will move on to Young Justice and Superman

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Ok... how bad is Event Leviathan? Its not Rucka's Checkmate but are fans up in arms? I dug Bendis' Batman Universe and will move on to Young Justice and Superman
    Very bad. Pointless. Does nothing.
    Don't believe the hype.
    Avoid it.
    (IMO of course).

I think a Checkmate line up should avoid high profile superheroes in the cast and focus on superheroes not as well known and characters whose backgrounds, abilities and powers fit in espionage.

So to that effect:

Sasha Bordeaux

Michael Holt

Taleb Beni Khalid

Andrea Rojas

Roy Harper

Steve Trevor

Valentina Vostok

Jessica Midnight

Tommy Jagger

Josephine Tautin
    Last edited by Agent Z; 05-03-2020 at 12:13 AM.

DC at least could give us a mini.

Incredible Member

The "revival" of this thread (i.e. being on one of the first two pages) prompted a revisit to Rucka's Book 1 & 2. So thanks for that.

Fantastic stuff right from the opening pages.

While I get the that "the only constant is change" and "all good things must come to an end" etcetera; it's books/runs like these that make me wish such concepts didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    The "revival" of this thread (i.e. being on one of the first two pages) prompted a revisit to Rucka's Book 1 & 2. So thanks for that.

While I get the that "the only constant is change" and "all good things must come to an end" etcetera; it's books/runs like these that make me wish such concepts didn't exist.
    It has aged incredibly well and made me yearn for my copy of Salvation Run (whereever it is (I know its not good but don't care)) and also I enjoyed reading it together with Ostrander's Suicide Squad Raise the Flag mini

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

DC at least could give us a mini.
    We're getting a mini. Sadly, it's not one I think is likely to give me the pleasures of the Rucka series.

I was inspired to start a reread of the series by Mr. Terrific's appearance in Strange Adventures, and it's just so good.

It has aged incredibly well and made me yearn for my copy of Salvation Run (whereever it is (I know its not good but don't care)) and also I enjoyed reading it together with Ostrander's Suicide Squad Raise the Flag mini
    It has aged very well, though I don't think it could be written today.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Ultimate Member

Bad. Bends has never been very good to the internal logic when it comes to his spy thrillers, and yet their very nature requires it.

I fear that what Bendis has done/will do is turn DC's spy game into Checkmate vs. Leviathan, like we have with Shield vs. Hydra at Marvel.

That's a mistake, IMO, because it leaves both unable to grow or move. If one agency stands for everything, it stands for nothing.

Ultimate Member

I'm kind surprised Rucka's run is so well liked. I wanted to like it, but I had a hard time getting past the poor plotting, and the constant dumping on Waller.

Several times, they botched the natural pay off to subplots. When Fire, for example, gave up her war criminal father, something Waller had used to blackmailed her into committing murder...nothing happened. Without any blackmail to hold over her, Fire should have given Waller up instantly.

Or the Salvation Run tie in, that ended in Waller's ouster. They threaten Waller with 24 hours before doing something about it...and never do anything.

And don't get me started on how underwhelming Kobra is as bad guys.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I'm kind surprised Rucka's run is so well liked. I wanted to like it, but I had a hard time getting past the poor plotting, and the constant dumping on Waller.

Several times, they botched the natural pay off to subplots. When Fire, for example, gave up her war criminal father, something Waller had used to blackmailed her into committing murder...nothing happened. Without any blackmail to hold over her, Fire should have given Waller up instantly.

Or the Salvation Run tie in, that ended in Waller's ouster. They threaten Waller with 24 hours before doing something about it...and never do anything.

Seriously?

This is an Appreciation thread.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Seriously?

This is an Appreciation thread.
    This made me chuckle.

There needs to be a place where people who have contrary views towards liking something can express themselves. We're hardly going to set up a Checkmate (or whoever) bashing thread.

Let him air his grievances...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

Fair enough. Will try and address a couple of things from what I remember.

1. On Kobra, Checkmate wasn't about the "bad guys" but instead, was primarily about the politics, underhandedness, the (pardon the pun) chess game amonst the organization. Kobra was just a framing device for the storytelling. I think not realizing/appreciating this already puts you on the back foot when it comes to the level of enjoyment of the series.

2. Fire gave up her father and was no longer in debt to Waller. Recall she was Black Kings Knight being forced to go against orders having been manipulated by White Queen (arguably the last person who should be influencing the Black Kings Knight). Her giving up her father was the resolution of that particular subplot.

3. Blackmailing Waller, again that was resolution of a subplot i.e. getting her ousted from her position as White Queen/ member of Checkmate. They didn't "do something about the threat" because Waller complied.

You say "dumping on Waller". I can't help but read this as the main reason you didn't like the series i.e. Waller is a character you like and your intepretation of them dumping on her contributed to the "non-enjoyment"? (Of course I may be wrong...

Ironically I think the series was one of the strongest characterizations of Waller showcasing how much of a badass she is and how she operates. The Suicide Squad series around the same time was another example.
    Last edited by Mr. White; 06-22-2020 at 02:11 AM.

This made me chuckle.

There needs to be a place where people who have contrary views towards liking something can express themselves. We're hardly going to set up a Checkmate (or whoever) bashing thread.

Let him air his grievances...
    There are rules for appreciation threads, and absolutely no one is stopping him from making his own thread. So no, this is an absolutely inappropriate place for him to come in with absolutely nothing positive to say.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    There are rules for appreciation threads, and absolutely no one is stopping him from making his own thread. So no, this is an absolutely inappropriate place for him to come in with absolutely nothing positive to say.
    Tell you what, we'll agree to disagree. After all, this isn't why we're here.

Saw you also read Strange Adventures. Loved the depiction of Mr. Terrific there. Think he might be a good character that creative team could churn in some good work on.

King tends to craft intriguing stories with characters that have less continuity baggage.

But I digress...