Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default DC comics equivalent to the Hulk?

What characters in the DC comics is just like the Hulk, Like a complete rip off of Hulk with the same type of powers?.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Probably Doomsday.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Probably Doomsday.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    What about a scientist in DC comics thats alot like Bruce Banner that has a monster transformation.

Anyone like that?.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Doomsday is the most obvious example. In his first appearance, he was just the Hulk, although his later appearances added in elements of X-Men's Nimrod.

It also depends on what you mean by rip-off, but there are plenty of characters that have similarities because they're both inspired by the same Jekell & Hyde archetype, of whom The Creeper, and The Demon share a lot of characteristics. Solomon Grundy is probably the closest the DCU has to the classic "Hulk Smash!" version, even though he predates Hulk by a couple decades.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingmyth View Post
    What about a scientist in DC comics thats alot like Bruce Banner that has a monster transformation.

Anyone like that?.
    DC has a few tragic scientists caught in accidents that turn them into monsters, I think, but none who have similar powers to the Hulk. Rampage, I guess. She's like the Hulk, but a woman.

Retired

Rip off? That sounds so rude. The closest homage was Man-Mountain in SHOWCASE No. 63 (July-August '66).

Solomon Grundy preceded Hulk--as did other hulking villains and heroes (the Heap, Frankenstein's monster, etc.).

The Blockbuster resembled Hulk in many ways--scientist becomes man-monster--but his change was permanent. Then there was Bat-Hulk in THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD No. 68 (October-November '66)

Solomon Grundy is usually used as DC's Hulk-like character. he's a huge raging monster with super strength. though unlike Hulk, Grundy is usually portrayed as a villain. though there are times when he's just on his own side and wants to be left alone, similar to the Silver Age Hulk.

in a Grundy mini series he was able to change back into his human form (Cyrus Gold) just like the Hulk.

but if you're looking for a straight rip off it's definitely Loose Cannon

He was created during the Bloodlines crossover.

Eddie Walker originally transforms into his alter ego only at night, and grows in strength and size as he got angrier. He changes color from blue to purple, to red, and finally to white due to extreme rage. In his white form he is barely capable of coherent thought.

people sometimes refer to him as "mood ring Hulk"
    Last edited by Robotman; 02-01-2017 at 05:06 PM.

Grundy.

He talks in the third person, is consistently voiced by Fred Tatasciore, wears tattered clothing, is super-strong, and is defined by an abnormal skin color.

Retired

DC has reprinted the earlier run of SEA DEVILS in a DC SHOWCASE PRESENTS, but I'm hungry to see the later issues reprinted. The series took a nosedive in quality, as it became a send-up of the Fantastic Four under the sea--but the issues I've read are a real hoot. One character is the Man-Fish--a mash-up of the Sub-Mariner and the Hulk. He's Juan Vallambrosa turned into a monster fish-man by Captain X.

Quote Originally Posted by kingmyth View Post
    What characters in the DC comics is just like the Hulk, Like a complete rip off of Hulk with the same type of powers?.
    I hate these "Who is DC's equivalent to Marvel character (fill in the blank)" that ASSUME DC is always ripping off Marvel comics.

HINT: DC was publishing superhero comics BEFORE MARVEL.

HINT: The Fantastic Four was created in response to the success of DC's Justice League of America!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I hate these "Who is DC's equivalent to Marvel character (fill in the blank)" that ASSUME DC is always ripping off Marvel comics.

HINT: DC was publishing superhero comics BEFORE MARVEL.

HINT: The Fantastic Four was created in response to the success of DC's Justice League of America!
    They both rip each other off all the time, almost to the point of ad nauseum. Thanos is a Darkseid rip off and then DC returned the favor by creating Mongul. Deadpool's very name comes from the fact that Rob Liefield and Fabian Nicieza created him with Deathstroke in mind (although Deathstroke could be seen to some extent as an "evil Captain America"). And of course there's Moon Knight, who is probably the most on-the-nose Batman clone in Marvel's arsenal of Batman clones.

And then DC obviously rips off Marvel too: Blockbuster being a Hulk clone; General Glory being a Captain America parody; Lord Havok is a little bit of a Doctor Doom homage; etc.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 02-01-2017 at 07:19 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I have to ask the OP: are you asking because you want DC to be more like Marvel? DC doesn't have to be exactly like Marvel and have identical characters. In fact, I think part of the draw of the Big Two being the Big Two is that they have different characters that appeal to different types of storytelling. You can't tell the same types of stories with Batman as you can with Spider-Man and vice versa. Same with Superman vs. Captain America; Green Lantern vs. The Guardians of the Galaxy, etc.

BUT...to answer your question, I'd point you to Blockbuster as the most obvious contender. And I'm also surprised nobody has mentioned Man-Bat: Kirk Langstrom, zoologist, becomes a monster upon experimenting upon himself. Although, I do admit, he's probably more of an equivalent of the Lizard than he is of the Hulk.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 02-01-2017 at 07:22 PM.

Incredible Member

For a raging mindless monster there is the Shaggy Man. Although one version has the brain of Gen. Eiling implanted in him.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Loose Cannon was like a Xtreme Hulk. He was alright in the few appearances I saw of him.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

From Grant Morrison's The Multiversity, Behemoth of Earth-8 (the Marvel analogue Earth) might fit the bill you're looking for. :P