Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Yeah, especially when you consider that it was the Silver Age when we started getting different flavors of Kryptonite.
    yeah..They invented ways for him to be able to lose but as far as by sheer strength/power...that seldom happened.

Quote Originally Posted by W8IN4KAL-EL View Post
    yeah..They invented ways for him to be able to lose but as far as by sheer strength/power...that seldom happened.
    I don't think this negates my point. And other superheroes lose fights too, many of them more that Superman. Just ask Captain Atom, Wonder Woman, Shazam and Martian Manhunter fans.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Like most nostalgia, I don't think those days ever actually existed, not even when silver age Superman was at his most stupidly absurd powerful.
    Agreed. Daxamites and Zod/other Kryptonians have been around for a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I don't think this negates my point. And other superheroes lose fights too, many of them more that Superman. Just ask Captain Atom, Wonder Woman, Shazam and Martian Manhunter fans.
    my problem is not really that he loses fights my problem is how in the hell did EVERYONE catch up to his power? That irks me to no end..Especially when DC has done nothing but depower him to make him that more believable all the while amping everyone else. Come on in God's among us Alfred kicks his ass..I mean he took a green pill but he still kicks his ass...smh

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I agree it's mostly the rose colored glasses of nostalgia that make it seem Superman was unbeatable and now is a doormat, but I think the real issue here is the type of situations Supes used to be put in. It wasn't usually just fisticuffs. It was moral and ethical dilemmas, puzzles and quandaries that put his intellect to the test and situations he couldn't just bulldoze his way through. When he was more powerful or portrayed consistently as such, writers did have to be more creative to challenge him. Simple as that. He wasn't approached as just any other Super hero.

Now most of the situations Superman finds himself in are glorified punching matches like virtually every other Superhero, and in order to make those interesting the protagonist has to struggle, which leads to the perception the original post refers to.

I think the base problem is trying to dumb Superman down just to be more like his peers because to many writers, that's all they know to write. It takes a special breed to write Superman stories.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post

I think the base problem is trying to dumb Superman down just to be more like his peers because to many writers, that's all they know to write. It takes a special breed to write Superman stories.
    ^^^^^^ THIS..totally THIS ^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by W8IN4KAL-EL View Post
    my problem is not really that he loses fights my problem is how in the hell did EVERYONE catch up to his power? That irks me to no end..Especially when DC has done nothing but depower him to make him that more believable all the while amping everyone else. Come on in God's among us Alfred kicks his ass..I mean he took a green pill but he still kicks his ass...smh
    Everyone did not catch up to his power. And he still wins more fights than most of the guys you put on that list, some of which are villains. Hell, Injustice is the only time Trigon has ever beaten Superman. And DC depowers everybody when it suits them.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I wouldn't even say "that's all they know how to write." That doesn't really describe anyone who's had more than a story arc except for maybe Johns, who actually did a handful of still very good stories.