Default 10 things DC wants you to forget about Wonder Woman

She should be one of the best fighters not just melee. I mean Geoff John even states she is now one best fighter in DC universe. She also is one of the most powerful character but DC can't allow her good stories. Although they are incorrected about the clay origin. Why do people hate Etta Candy. If written well she can be a great character

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Pretty solid list, but it's not like DC actually wants people to forget that Diana's powerful. They definitely don't want anyone forgetting Lynda Carter. If they did, they wouldn't keep using her in other DC shows or selling merchandise of her.

Etta is.....complicated. She can be great when handled properly, but she is a very easy character for people to mock when she isn't handled properly. Unfortunately, people have a tendency to remember outlandish things, and some of Etta's worst portrayals are definitely.....out there.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

DC wants to forget Etta Candy? Yeah, that's why she's been highlighted in the movie trailer and a main character in Earth One, The Legend of Wonder Woman, and the main book...

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    DC wants to forget Etta Candy? Yeah, that's why she's been highlighted in the movie trailer and a main character in Earth One, The Legend of Wonder Woman, and the main book...
    Well, to be fair, DC re-emphasizing Etta and Steve as major parts of the Wonder Woman franchise is a relatively recent thing...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Pretty solid list, but it's not like DC actually wants people to forget that Diana's powerful. They definitely don't want anyone forgetting Lynda Carter. If they did, they wouldn't keep using her in other DC shows or selling merchandise of her.

Etta is.....complicated. She can be great when handled properly, but she is a very easy character for people to mock when she isn't handled properly. Unfortunately, people have a tendency to remember outlandish things, and some of Etta's worst portrayals are definitely.....out there.
    Actually, all I think that needs to happen is one writer to do a very solid characterization, and that'll be the template for future writers to follow.

"Outlandish" is a bit in the eye of the beholder, but I actually think that could be a character trait; being outlandish and outspoken is something that marked her in the Golden Age and a careful writer could update that for the 21st Century.

Or....to put it another way....I look at Etta as drill sergeant or top NCO to Diana's officer; I think she's been written as too quiet and too respectful so far in the modern era.

Surprised I-Ching and Diana Prince being a spy while owning a mod clothing shop wasn't on the list specifically. Maybe everyone's already forgotten those.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

If loving Etta Candy is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Some of this stuff isn't actually true (Marston didn't invent the polygraph, he wrote some papers on the concept though), a lot of it is surprisingly out of date (She is no longer a demi-God), and some of it is debatable (It is hard to say DC Comics 'wants you to forget about Etta Candy when she has been in Earth-1, True Amazon and Rucka's current work).

If I were to make my own list;

1. The Wonder Woman pilot (WB will copyright footage you upload to Youtube immediately, which is why in the footage in the video was framed)
    2. The graveyards Wonder Woman has filled
    3. Azzarello's run ()
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Retired

This is why I hate vlogs. And yet people link to them on message boards and I'm forced to listen to them in order to respond to the post--but I usually don't.

Here, in a vlog you can say anything you want about Wonder Woman--whether it's true or not--so long as you talk really fast and in a uppity British accent. And it's pretty hard for typist me to address the stream of verbiage, as I'd have to go on for pages talking about each bit of history that's glossed over and I'd have to go through that vlog several times to catch everything. And that would be a bore.

Just trust me that, while there's a lot that's true in the vlog, there's several untruths and distortions sprinkled throughout.

But since they take potshots at Etta Candy right off the bat--let me say this about her. There was a comic strip called THIMBLE THEATRE by E. C. Segar that began in late 1919. It featured Olive Oyl, Castor Oyl and Ham Gravy. Those were the main characters. Later on a sailor entered the scene who was dubbed Popeye. Now I'm not saying that Etta was influenced directly by THIMBLE THEATRE, but that's the kind of thing that was done with regularity in comics, long before Etta Candy and her family emerged.

If you use a snarky British voice to talk about this, you can make it sound bad. But why? Isn't it more interesting to talk about comics history in a sincere tone--because most of us here are really interested in comics history. I think. Portraying that history as so "lame" and "stupid" discourages interest. People just tune out and say, I don't need to know about this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Some of this stuff isn't actually true (Marston didn't invent the polygraph, he wrote some papers on the concept though), a lot of it is surprisingly out of date (She is no longer a demi-God), and some of it is debatable (It is hard to say DC Comics 'wants you to forget about Etta Candy when she has been in Earth-1, True Amazon and Rucka's current work).

If I were to make my own list;

1. The Wonder Woman pilot (WB will copyright footage you upload to Youtube immediately, which is why in the footage in the video was framed)
    2. The graveyards Wonder Woman has filled
    3. Azzarello's run ()
    Well actually Marston had a blood pressure machine which led to the modern day polygraph.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Moulton_Marston
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 02-02-2017 at 08:25 PM.

BANNED

what DC would like to forget is the machosist tone of some of the earlier issues.