Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Deadpool and the Mercs for Money #8 Review (Spoilers)

Review: we get a look into this alternative world where the T-cloud was changed by Negasonic, but the Inhumans decide the alterations were were an abomination and continue the war to the point only a handful of mutants are left. The issue had a handicap in that every one know going in that the status quo universe wouldn't last beyond this issue, but it was still a fun ride where the character moments sell the issue.

The highlights: Deadpool's talk with Negasonic bringing up the genocide of Genosha and putting together her actions and the motivation for them. The debate between Domino and Polaris on basically who screwed up the world and what to do with it now was picture perfect. It seems whatever short lived peace between Inhumans and mutants was destroyed when the Inhumans turned on mutants in their anger at the violation of the T-could and a back and forth war ensued. Whats left of the mutants are hiding out and Lorna says its meant to be a permanent sanctuary while Domino believes it to be a base for a renewed assault on the Inhumans.

The real debate becomes a philosophical one about when to end a cycle of war and vengeance and how. Is Lorna being entirely truthful, from her prospective I think she is, but with the Inhumans hunting down the remaining mutants one can see from the excellent art of her facial expressions and her own reaction to Negasonic at the end that she also considers that the best defense at times is the offensive and would prefer the war ends her terms after all the killing.

In the end Negasonic chooses a third path and the world goes white...

In all a great issue and well worth the price of admission with some strong concepts and ideas the comic brings up, the witty dialogue and excellent art.

What a great issue. Bunn's reached Duggan, Remender, and Kelly status as far as Deadpool goes for me now. He's in that top tier. I'm excited for his next DP project... whatever it may be.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

So that version of Xorn. Which one was that?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Really enjoyed this issue. Absolutely loved Lorna in this, and makes me sad that we don't get to see more of her, especially in this IvX conflict. Also, it says so much about the inhumans, that even after the cloud was altered not to harm mutants and still roam around the earth, they still attacked and killed mutants. Such a wonderful group of people.

BANNED

Wish we'd seen more of Lorna, Kurt, Rachel and Xorn. What a great team.

Nice, so Ellie does remember she died during the Sentinel attack on Genosha. Now the question is... What are her powers? Is she a generic Reality Warper now? She seems to be capable of warping reality and traveling between times... Interesting but I'm not sure how I feel about this though.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Nice story (this and the previous issue), even if it is ultimately meaningless.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    Wish we'd seen more of Lorna, Kurt, Rachel and Xorn. What a great team.
    Yah, this universe could have used the five issue arc treatment, it was a great and unique team we got to see a hint of.
    Last edited by jmc247; 02-01-2017 at 01:48 PM.

I'm guessing this issue was produced to show why using a reality warper to fix things is a no go. Overall, I enjoyed it, and I liked Polaris's X-Men team. I was initially confused by the fact that both Negasonic Teenage Warhead AND Deadpool's mutant daughter share the name Ellie, as I couldn't tell who was the cloaked character in the future till midway through the story.

I really enjoyed this issue. I jumped on mainly for the IvX tie-in, plus I saw that Lorna was returning. Really solid writing and gorgeous art. Heck I think I'm going to continue this book. Hope we see more Polaris in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    I'm guessing this issue was produced to show why using a reality warper to fix things is a no go. Overall, I enjoyed it, and I liked Polaris's X-Men team. I was initially confused by the fact that both Negasonic Teenage Warhead AND Deadpool's mutant daughter share the name Ellie, as I couldn't tell who was the cloaked character in the future till midway through the story.
    Yeah that definitely takes some getting used to.

A nice tie in, though I am worried for the direction of this book as the next one is part of a crossover. Even though I'm looking forward to it from Deadpool fan perspective, aside from Negasonic's development I want to see this book develop more of it's own identity.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    A nice tie in, though I am worried for the direction of this book as the next one is part of a crossover. Even though I'm looking forward to it from Deadpool fan perspective, aside from Negasonic's development I want to see this book develop more of it's own identity.
    I'm not sure it'll be around after the Deadpool event... here's Bunn's response to when I asked him that question in his last X-Po:

Unfortunately, I can’t speak about any “Deadpool” or “Mercs for Money” plans at this time. Obviously, there are a lot of story threads just waiting to be wrapped up, but I can’t say (without getting in a lot of trouble) how everything will play out. I’m not done with Deadpool, though, not by any stretch of the imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I'm not sure it'll be around after the Deadpool event... here's Bunn's response to when I asked him that question in his last X-Po:
    Hmm would line up with Domino's departure. Also if Uncanny Avengers is ending (or being relaunched) Pool wouldn't need to fund them anymore.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Nice story (this and the previous issue), even if it is ultimately meaningless.
    Extra points for the Genosha reference, sometimes it feels writers have forgotten, as for it being meaningless. On one had sure, but some of the issues it brought up are time less.