Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DC Comics Historian

Default The Flash movie's page 1 rewrite. (The right a way to approach it IMO)

There seems to be a notion that the Flash flick for the film universe may be a little too similar to that of the TV Universe which much to the chagrin of those who thought the TV show shouldnt have been part of the Man Of Steel and BvS universe and the studio who have lost 2 directors now, have now decided to mulligan the whole thing.

However, is running away from the show the answer?

I say NO. It's not. Face the question of whether these worlds can crossover. The TV show has made it clear that you can move from Universe to Universe. Make the movie a part of that. Have more than one Flash in the film but make Ezra's version the focus of this film. Bring a compelling Flash villain like say, THE PSYCHO PIRATE, and/or Abracadabra, someone who can bend time and space and have him find Barry and Jay and Wally of the Flarrowverse (oh also make sure you give Ezra a ginger white Wally FFS too) and have them come together and save the multiverse and have the ramifications and consequences push both universes forward IE for Ezra's be it The New Gods and for Grants introduce him to The Monitor(s?).

It could work. A good writer can make it work. We don't need another Flash origin. In fact make Ezra's story begin after he has first taken down Eobard of his Earth. His father is out of prison. Let them have a longer relationship than that of the show. Boom.

I am going to write a spec on this I like it so much. Later kids.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

That complicates things so much and subtracts from Ezra being the central focus. 2 hours isn't a lot of time to build your own set of characters and make alternate realities meaningful in any way. The amount of people who will watch the film dwarfs those who watch the show, it would subtract more than it adds to the Flash's weight in the DCEU. There's no "need" for the movie to care about the show and I hope they move away from a lot of the negative elements on the show.

I do like the idea of the movie not being a big origin story though.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

If DC execs were not so fixated in making the Flash DC's Spider-man (when he is, in fact, conceptually opposite), things would be going more smoothly.

Still, if they want toi move away from the shopw, just cutting the dead mommy/jailed dad thing would be good enough for me (like that is gonna happen).
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    That complicates things so much and subtracts from Ezra being the central focus. 2 hours isn't a lot of time to build your own set of characters and make alternate realities meaningful in any way. The amount of people who will watch the film dwarfs those who watch the show, it would subtract more than it adds to the Flash's weight in the DCEU. There's no "need" for the movie to care about the show and I hope they move away from a lot of the negative elements on the show.

I do like the idea of the movie not being a big origin story though.
    Agreed, i like the idea of the rogues (maybe not all of them) being the 'villains' for the flash film, I think they would help in relation to tone and humour.
    Zoom or eobard thawne should be saved for future films, going with say captain cold and mirror master would be great, I would like to see a csi esque heist thriller with humour

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    If DC execs were not so fixated in making the Flash DC's Spider-man (when he is, in fact, conceptually opposite), things would be going more smoothly.

Still, if they want toi move away from the shopw, just cutting the dead mommy/jailed dad thing would be good enough for me (like that is gonna happen).
    Preach bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinr View Post
    Agreed, i like the idea of the rogues (maybe not all of them) being the 'villains' for the flash film, I think they would help in relation to tone and humour.
    Zoom or eobard thawne should be saved for future films, going with say captain cold and mirror master would be great, I would like to see a csi esque heist thriller with humour
    I like the Rogues to start off with too.

Mirror Master is someone I've always wanted to see on the big screen. You think Dr. Strange is visually enticing? Just wait until you see the Flash having to deal with mirror dimensions and optical illusions.

Thawne is such a huge villain that he should be saved for future films, I agree. He could arguably be involved in a JLA film, he's so powerful. I'd be interested to see time travel done well in movie form as it hasn't in a comic book movie yet, from what I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post

Its funny that DC already HAS a spider-man, but with the added dollars of the bat brand. Tim or Dick could easily fill that role.

Give it a slight 80's Teen Titans vibe by featuring Vic and Sarah Charles in significant roles. It would be cute having the two of them hang out with Barry and Iris. Also makes sense as there will definitely be hijinks at STAR Labs.

I too like the idea of the Rogues being the "villain" of the first film. They already have an entry point character established with Boomerang. I'd save Zoom and the parental mystery for the sequel.

Actually i wouldnt mind if they did a teamup episode to pronote by just having Barry from the movies guest star in the show for an episode. I wouldn't mind the movies to have a crossover between the two Barry's but im not sure making it the focus of his first film is such a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Give it a slight 80's Teen Titans vibe by featuring Vic and Sarah Charles in significant roles. It would be cute having the two of them hang out with Barry and Iris. Also makes sense as there will definitely be hijinks at STAR Labs.

I too like the idea of the Rogues being the "villain" of the first film. They already have an entry point character established with Boomerang. I'd save Zoom and the parental mystery for the sequel.
    I like this idea.

Also, an oceans eleven style elaborate rogues heist would be a fantastic cold open of sorts for a flash film.

I just want Reverse-Flash to be the main villain of the first movie so we can get the whole "who killed Barry's mom" plot over with and move on. There was already a whole season of TV dedicated to the mystery and finding out who the Reverse-Flash is, so I don't want to see it drawn out in the movies either, especially there's a good portion of the audience who already knows Thawne killed Nora thanks to the TV show.

I also want Ezra Miller to run past Grant Gustin's Flash while he's running through different dimensions, also possibly speeding past a CG or doctored version of John Wesley Shipp's Flash .

I'm sure The Rogues will probably be a big part of the movie, and we might see Jai Courtney's Captain Boomerang pop back up here, though I'm not sure if they'll dedicate a whole movie to Flash trying to foil Captain Cold and The Rogues.

And if they use the Trickster, and have no intention of bringing in Mark Hamill, then I hope they use Axel instead of James Jesse.

BANNED

The New Frontier is how I prefer Barry atleast in regards to media depiction, given descriptions of Barry compared to Batman I doubt will be getting this.

The way I'd do it. Is I'd start with the Rogues. They could be a threat by being a danger to the people around Barry or just innocents in general. Make him very analytical trying to piece together every single detail in a scene as well as how he should use his abilities for a certain moment similar to Sherlock but more reasonable given super speed.

Don't make him dependent on a team, that's one of the things I can't stand about the TV show. Following this would also prevent him from jobbing. Please don't make him whiny either, I'd rather him be an adult then a guy whose love struck and can't catch a break.

BANNED

If they're going to rewrite the Flash I'd like them to skip over the rookie stage of his career and start with him as an experienced speedster. It bugged me that even after Justice League (and his other film cameos) he's still stuck being a noob. If they want to set it apart from the show I say they introduce a younger, teenage Wally West for him to mentor and eventually become a hero in his own right. Make the villains the Rogues, hold off on evil speedsters for now. And keep the entire film light on the melodrama and focused on fun interactions and Sci Fi elements.

Astonishing Member

Broadly speaking, the OP has a point. Although I don't think a full-fledged linkage to the Multiverse in general or the TV show in particular is the best idea for the first film.

That said, I really don't think it would be a bad idea to subtly touch upon the Multiverse and to possibly show a glimpse of Grant Gustin's Barry Allen or John Wesley Shipp's Barry Allen or even the Bart Allen from Smallville in the Speed Force.

I'd prefer the first film to involve the Rogue's. If they do include the Reverse-Flash, then have him be a villain who's working from the shadows, and possibly playing the Rogue's and the Flash off each other in his larger scheme against the Flash.

DC Comics Historian

I am just worried an all out Rogues movie may be too saturated with villains. That said a good writer could pull it off. My main point of this thread tho is we don't need another origin story. We know what happened. Move on or cover it in the credits sequence. Set this movie after he finds his mother's killer or move that plotline down the road for a sequel.

The whole multi-verse thing is admittedly not necessarily needed but just think about how fun it would be? The Flash is a character that is often underrated yet is constantly the most important person in the universe. It looks as though from his cameo in BvS that this may still be true in this cannon as well but I want to stop playing coy about all of this. Just answer the question. :-)

Perhaps we can't handle the truth.

Recast with Chris Pine playing Barry, say he's Steve's great-great grandson or something, or just ignore it. Maybe make Ezra Miller Bart or something. We already have a young Peter Parkerish inexperienced Barry. It works well in tv, but do something we haven't seen before. And use Grodd as the big bad! It would be too hard to top the tv-verse's Eobard anyway.