Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    What DC SHOULD HAVE DONE with the New 52 was a sort-of Silver Age 2.0. Started all over and reimagined EVERYTHING so that there was no previous DC comic book history on the New 52 world. They could maybe hold on to secret identities for some big characters like Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and maybe the main Green Lantern (Hal), but otherwise felt free to do something different with characters like Flash, Aquaman, Green Arrow, etc.

THEN, after about a year or so, re-introduce the pre-Flashpoint DC world on another Earth in the Multiverse so that those fans would know it was still alive and well.
    What they should have done was just NOT reboot at all. The DCU should have just continued as it was before Flashpoint. Hell, Flashpoint wasn't even intended to BE a reboot. Didio, in his infinite "wisdom," hijacked Johns's story last minute. The only thing they needed to do was restructure their editorial management and attract more top-tier talent and also try to get back some of the talent that they had lost like Mark Waid.

If they had to do some sort of "reboot" for new fans to jump on, they should have taken the same approach Marvel did with the Ultimates and launched the New 52 as an alternate Earth separate from the main DC Universe. The Pre-Flashpoint should have remained the main DCU with the New 52 as an alternative Earth.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Remember the circumstances back then . . . Darkseid had started attacking the Earth, and did Superman know anything about Green Lantern and Batman? Better to attack, subdue, and contain any potential, unknown threats until you know their stories so they can't take advantage of you and your world when you weren't expecting it.
    Do Batman and Green Lantern LOOK like Parademons? Plus, he's Superman. He's strong enough to attempt a peaceful first contact.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Before Flashpoint, Superman wouldn't have attacked Green Lantern and Batman on sight before even trying to talk to them once they landed in Metropolis. After Flashpoint, he was apparently a guy who did exactly that.
    You're being dishonest with the story to fit your narrative. No one tried to talk to Superman upon arrival. Green Lantern attacked him. Granted Bruce wanted to just talk, but Hal beat him to the punch with his goofy attack. Superman fought back, he didn't start a fight. At best, New 52 Superman's personality was slightly different from pre-FP, and only in regards to temperament. Slightly. And even that wasn't anything unseen before because he'd been characterized that way before in eras past. So it wasn't even something new from a historical point of view. That's the reality.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-04-2017 at 09:41 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Netherman14 View Post
    GA Superman would have done the exact same, hell he did. abit with Superdad instead of Batman and Green Lantern. and how do you not know if he didn't attack GA Alan Scott as well when they first met each other.

Firstly, GA Superman wasn't a boy scout, but he rarely straight up attacked people without provocation. Secondly, that's the point. Superman, in the years between 1938 and 2010 had significantly mellowed out as part of his character development. He had gained wisdom in how to deal with threats and knew when to attack and when not to attack. So, the New 52 essentially served as a major character regression. And, I'm sorry, but readers don't want to have the characters they've read about for years regressed and have to go through the same exact character development that they went through already.

You're right. And Superman didn't straight up attack anyone without provocation. He was provoked.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Firstly, GA Superman wasn't a boy scout, but he rarely straight up attacked people without provocation. Secondly, that's the point. Superman, in the years between 1938 and 2010 had significantly mellowed out as part of his character development. He had gained wisdom in how to deal with threats and knew when to attack and when not to attack. So, the New 52 essentially served as a major character regression. And, I'm sorry, but readers don't want to have the characters they've read about for years regressed and have to go through the same exact character development that they went through already.
    But we didn't ever really see that. Byrne Superman came out more or less fully formed. This was a younger more brash Superman and if they had actually stuck with it it could have been great to actually see him mature into being a bit more cautious of a Superman. Also the idea that Nuperman was wildly different than PC Superman is not really that true. He was younger and slightly more cocky (as many younger people are), that's really it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    You're being dishonest with the story to fit your narrative. No one tried to talk to Superman upon arrival. Green Lantern attacked him. Granted Bruce wanted to just talk, but Hal beat him to the punch with his goofy attack. Superman fought back, he didn't start a fight. At best, New 52 Superman's personality was slightly different from pre-FP, and only in regards to temperament. Slightly. And even that wasn't anything unseen before because he'd been characterized that way before in eras past. So it wasn't even something new from a historical point of view. That's the reality.

I think you need to reread Justice League #1. Literally, Batman and GL land in Metropolis because Hal's ring led them there. GL then is about to just go into the Lexcorp building and before he can even get into the building, Superman straight up bum-rushes him without any sort of provocation. Then he says to Batman "what can you do?"...like a super villain would. The next issue, Green Lantern attacks because Superman attacked him first. So, yes, Superman started the fight.

I will go back and have a look but I have no recollection of Superman outright attacking anyone. I recall a confrontation when Superman notices two strangers skulking around the city in the middle of a crisis (he's dealing with the precursors to the invasion as well, and makes not that he's protecting his home), THEN a fight when Hal stupidly tries to subdue him.

If anything, Rebirth Superman's attack on Lex in the opening Action issue was less provoked than this. Just going to show that even pre-FP Superman can and has been quick to anger as well. So there is a double-standard at play depending on which version of Superman it is being hot-heated.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-04-2017 at 09:55 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Can we*not do the whole "you need to read" thing? We've all read the issue. **Superman CONFRONTS the two. He doesn't fight until Hal attacks.
    Uh, I just pulled up the issue. He does fight them before Hal even makes a move. He attacks GL out of nowhere. You see a blue and red blur just knock down GL.

I amended what said for being too harsh, so I apologize. Woke up cranky with a headache.* I will take a look again myself when I get a chance.*

Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

Uh, I just pulled up the issue. He does fight them before Hal even makes a move. He attacks GL out of nowhere. You see a blue and red blur just knock down GL.
    Even so, Superman's "turf" (Metropolis) is invaded by two other heroes he doesn't even recognize. and one of them (Batman) looks just as sinister as the "strange creatures" (Parademons) that have been flying around abducting citizens, while he himself only barely knows that there is an alien invasion happening.
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

Hey guys, I got an idea! You know those memorable stories and continuity that's sustained this company for over 70 years? We let's wipe it all out and screw around with our most iconic characters so much that it begins to read like some convoluted fan fiction.

Brilliant! Give that man a raise!

Why do we need all these reboots? Simple answer: Because we're all morons. All of us. Seriously. Look, my hand is up too.

We need reboots because we all want to rush out and pick up that glossy new #1 issue of Something-Man and Whatever-Girl. And we do it, don't we? Every damn time. Then the sales peter off around 20 - 40 issues in, so reboot again! All new #1s. Mmmmm, really? Let me brush my teeth first, because if I'm gonna get screwed I'd like to at least have fresh breath.

Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

And Superman tells Batman he was already attacked by someone with a similar box, which leads Clark to assume Batman's in league with Darkseid because he has a Mother Box himself. Bruce also tells Hal Clark was already angry before they arrived at Metropolis to talk to him.

Justice League - Origin V1 (2011) - Page 34.jpg

Justice League - Origin V1 (2011) - Page 37.jpg
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Netherman14 View Post
    Even so, Superman's "turf" (Metropolis) is invaded by two other heroes he doesn't even recognize. and one of them (Batman) looks just as sinister as the "strange creatures" (Parademons) that have been flying around abducting citizens, while he himself only barely knows that there is an alien invasion happening.
    Superman's "turf"? What is this? The Bloods and the Crips? Also, Hal and Batman look like humans. I'm pretty sure any moron could tell they weren't parademons.

DC comics is "New Coking" us. Anyone remember that debacle? Coca-Cola had this drink, you probably heard about it. Well some dipstick in some fart smelling board room decided to change the formula and rebrand it as... wait for it... New Coke. It tasted like crap. No one liked it. People were pissed off. So they went back to the old formula, called it Coca-Cola Classic, and sales went through the roof. They were rewarded for dicking around with their customers.