Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default Rate it: Uncanny Avengers by Rick Remender

What do you think about this amazing run ??

It wasn't my favorite roster.. but I read it because of it's threads from his Uncanny X-Force, which is my favorite book of all time. I think Duggan's volume of UA is more enjoyable for me, but I liked Remender's a lot. Wish he would have taken over X-Men like he was supposed to.

Incredible Member

Everyone was an unlikable jerk, it destroyed the little progress made to redeem Wanda. I was rooting for the villains the entire time.

Oh and it lead to an awful event and one of the worst retcon ever!!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lollie_poppy View Post
    Everyone was an unlikable jerk, it destroyed the little progress made to redeem Wanda. I was rooting for the villains the entire time.

Oh and it lead to an awful event and one of the worst retcon ever!!!!
    I agree with this. How terrible everyone was wore thin really quick.

I enjoyed how much it tied into his UXF run, the art was great but the Axis event clearly got sideswiped by Secret Wars. I wasn't a huge fan of the idea to start with, the good guys and bad guys swapping roles, but what really got me was how when Evan turned into Apocalypse he was pretty weak compared to what he really should have been. I definitely felt like the story got cut off at the knees because he did big cast and big stakes so well all throughout UXF that I can't imagine that Axis was what he really had planned.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

great plot, high stakes and interesting villains, a good cast.... wich he didnt make use of because either they hated each other or never interected because they were fucking each other, or were beign used simply as a way for remember to say what he thinks.

It never made a statement of what it was suposed too, wich is dealing with mutant and human problems and dealing with it as a unity team. And it only interacted with the rest of the universe on that horrible axis event.

Basicaly duggan run has been much better has a classic super hero team, dedicated to the unity of the various species of the marvel universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    What do you think about this amazing run ??
    I didn't like it.

It could've been better. It wasn't bad, it certainly had it's moments of absolute balls to the walls epic, but it had it's share of problems that stopped it from being as good as Remender's Uncanny X-Force run

I think it was my favorite Avengers run since Kurt Busiek.

6/10

+ Art was rather good throughout the series, peaking with the Annual
    + High adventure, the stakes (while ignored in other titles) were felt
    + Villains, while not particularly fleshed out, were entertaining
    + Some really nice action or shock panels, like Sentry opening his face to shoot a laser

- RR was transparent on how he felt about the mutant metaphor (ie SW every-time she talked about mutants, Alex speech, etc...) which is awkward to say the least considering he is writing a book that deals with the fallout of failing to help the mutant community pre AvX...
    - Taken directly from the first point, the team never dealt with the actual mission statement. Very few mutant issues were addressed and the villains had little or nothing to do with trying to help communities gain unity, only the team itself
    - Characters over all were too-flawed and unlikable, it's good to give them some issues, but not to the extent we got
    - Team spent what felt like 2/3s of the run in space or an AU, it should've dealt with modern earth more
    - RR loved to pair the characters up way too much. Havok and Wasp (AU), Havok and Rogue (AU), SW and Wonder Man --- only the later made any sense, but it reads pretty bad when you have all the woman either flirting or involved in a relationship with someone on the team.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 02-03-2017 at 11:16 PM.

The first arc was so-so, but overall I really enjoyed the run.

First couple of arcs were good then it went down hill... I really did love the roster and pacifist Wonder-Man... Can't remember the last time non-violence looked so cool..