Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Very Remender. I thought it revealed him as a one-trick pony with a rehash of his usual ideas, old plots and unsurprising "twists".
    The one trick pony that writes best selling and award winning series like Deadly Class, Black Science, Low and Tokyo Ghost that are totally different from each other?

Quote Originally Posted by penthotal View Post
    The one trick pony that writes best selling and award winning series like Deadly Class, Black Science, Low and Tokyo Ghost that are totally different from each other?
    And all equally incredible. So not TOTALLY different

The first volume?

Awesome, great, love it. I love how he can tell big huge stories in his own titles. His books are almost events in themselves at times... without cross overs. Its awesome, super hero stuff. It is almost weird he can tell big stories like this with big villains and big stakes in his own, contained title... then he gets an event (axis) and it was awful lol.

Vol 2? Terrible. One of the few things remender has written at Marvel that I don't like at all, in any shape, way or form
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

6/10 in my opinion.

It was not all perfect but enjoyed some parts of the story.

Negative parts:
    Not like RS as a villain
    Not like Havok's speech
    The characters spent too much time fighting each other (although this reflects the relationship after AvX)
    They did nothing to improve Wanda's situation in relation to mutants.
    Not like stories with time travel
    Simon being absorbed by Rogue

Positive parts:
    Good cast (but not well used)
    Good villains except for RS
    Good scenes of action and romance

Overall it was nothing extraordinary but also was not bad just regular.

I prefer to forget anything related to Axis.
    Last edited by Knives; 02-04-2017 at 08:20 AM.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I loved the few issues where Thor and Rogue had struck up a friendship between the two, that was nice to see and worked better than I thought it would. That was one of my personal highlights of the run. Art was usually good IMO, so I enjoyed that as well.

Simon being absorbed by Rogue could've led to an interesting story where he came back by leaving her body so-to-speak but that went nowhere so that was a bit of a waste. The time travel stuff...Well, Marvel were going overkill on the whole time travel thing for a while it seemed so I was getting fed-up with all the time travel anyway by that point.

Overall, I'd say I give it a solid 7 out of 10.
    Last edited by John Ossie; 02-04-2017 at 10:07 AM.

Cool

Pros:
    -I agree with Ossie, the friendship between Rogue and Thor was cute
    -All of the arcs after the first one were one, gigantic story
    -Sunfire getting a power up (that Lemire is ignoring)
    -Brought back Daken and Banshee
    -Made RS the great villain he is in Uncanny Avengers Vol 3
    -Red Onslaught
    -Gave Rogue her 90's power set (my favorite powers for Rogue)

Cons:
    -Said power set regressed Rogue into being untouchable again
    -Wonder-Man's dead again
    -Scarlet Witch became an unsympathetic, mutant hater again
    -Havok shows he'd rather be tied to his own deeds than hi own culture.....again
    -Avengers (plus Havok) fight with the X-Men (plus Thor) in so much unnecessary drama...........again
    -Don't get me started on Vol 2 which was literally revolved around another Pietro and Wanda retcon

Overall, it was a fun series. It led to one of my current fav series by Duggan, which I find far better.

Also, question, was the team from Rage of Ultron supposed to be the Uncanny Avengers?
    Last edited by Tycon; 02-04-2017 at 10:22 AM.

Incredible Member

Volume one was pretty good especially all the stuff with the Apocalypse twins but volume 2 just seemed to exist for the retcon for Wanda & Quicksilver so wasn't that great.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Also, question, was the team from Rage of Ultron supposed to be the Uncanny Avengers?
    I think it was probably supposed to be the planned roster for the post-Secret Wars Uncanny Avengers book if Remender had stayed on.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it was probably supposed to be the planned roster for the post-Secret Wars Uncanny Avengers book if Remender had stayed on.
    I will ways be curious what happened

He was on his way to the top of marvel and poof he left

Now with lemire and soule seemingly cutting back... where all the talent
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I will ways be curious what happened

He was on his way to the top of marvel and poof he left

Now with lemire and soule seemingly cutting back... where all the talent
    Well, from what I recall, Remender said part of the reason he was leaving Marvel or cutting down on his comics work was to spend more time with his family. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but it's a fair reason.

I think Soule is probably going to have more books announced around the time of the next wave of relaunches when Secret Empire concludes (or gets delayed).

No idea what's going on with Lemire. He seemed to have a good thing going with Old Man Logan at least.

And there's still Bendis (on a good day), Aaron (on a good day), Spencer, Duggan, Bunn, Slott if you enjoy his work, Waid, (Kelly) Thompson and Ewing (even if they aren't sellers on the level of the former two). Even Coates if you look at the success of his work on a financial level and with audiences outside traditional comics circles.

Extraordinary Member

There were some good issues, and the Acuña art was mostly good. (On the other hand, John Cassaday's art on the first 4 issues was very disappointing and probably hurt the popularity of the book because of Cassaday's delays.) The best issues included the Thor/Apocalypse one and the goofy annual with Mojo. Also it was nice to see an Avengers book with some of the classic Avengers characters Bendis and Hickman didn't care for. And I enjoy Remender's deliberately campy style, though he dropped the old-school third-person narration halfway through the run.

But apart from nearly all the characters being written as jerks, it didn't really make much sense. It's supposed to be an Avengers team devoted to mutant/human harmony, but we never got to actually see them do anything. Ideas like Jan's mutant fashion line, or Havok acting as the pretty face of mutantkind, weren't explored. Character beats never happened with any logic: we saw Rogue and Wanda be complete assholes to each other for months, but they became friends off-panel.

I think the series shows the signs of a lot of executive meddling, right up to cannibalizing the planned climax to make an event and forcing the stupid Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch retcon on Remender.

Better then Bendis but not that much

BANNED

Reviving this thread

Incredible Member

in the article that mentioned Remender's possible X Men run, Banshee was pictured. i would have been glad to see him used, rather than shelved all these years.

2.5 out of 5 stars for me, or average. It started out meh but ended solidly. Still, the run was nothing special or groundbreaking, IMO.
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-27-2020 at 12:20 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."