Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Paul McEnery is really pissed off right now and has no idea why.
    I think Paul often had that feeling.

(I miss that dude.)

Quote Originally Posted by genesis_pig View Post
    I wonder who is the David Lynch of comics?
    Sam Kieth? Grant Morrison?
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Alan Moore is best compared to Alan Moore. There is no one like him.
    ^

Not sure how anyone can think most of Moore's work is even slightly similar to Spielberg's.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    Killing Joke can be seen as Moore's answer to Clockwork Orange in some way as much as Watchmen is his 2001: A Space Odyssey as From Hell can be his answer to The Shining and so fourth.

Stan Lee the Spielberg of comics? i can see that. And would Frank Miller be comic's answer to David Fincher?
    Miller & Fincher? Fair comparison, if I had to compare a writer in the medium to Fincher it would probably be Garth Ennis, though you could as easily make the comparison with Ennis & Tarantino. Alex Maleevs style definitely reminds me more of Finchers visual aesthetic in his films.

Fun-Eating Devil The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

I'd say Tom Waits or Billy Childish-- I know, I know, not filmmakers-- would be a bit nearer the mark re: Moore.

Comparing movie directors to comics creators is a tricky subject because there is no real reason for professionals in one field to have analogs in another therefore we all say our opinions based on specific criteria that are different for each poster. For example Fanboy Stranger says:
    I think as far as the comparison to Kubrick, probably the closest comparisons would be creators like Dave Sim, Los Bros Hernandez, Chris Ware, Dan Clowes, Jeff Smith, etc. They are basically in complete control of their projects with the exception of distribution (except for Sim and Smith), and due to the freedom that alternate means of distribution grants, they have the latitiude to explore challenging and personal themes in a manner similar to Kubrick. And yet, their work has a wide audience because it is saying things that simply can't be ignored. Kubrick was a challenging auteur whose difficult works were successful for the same reason.
    and he is very right on that regard. On the other hand something that stood out in Kubrick for me was his seeming intent to jump from genre to genre trying to create a defining film for each one, something that reminds me of Moore's efforts on very different genres and how it always seemed to me he tried to understand how each one works in order to do the best work he could. Of course there are several other ways in which these two are different but they've been mentioned already.

As for Spielberg, I would compare him to Carl Barks rather than Stan Lee. Barks's stuff was characterized by humour, high adventure and fairy tale elements in a delightfull all ages package, while Lee is more famous for bringing melodrama and everyday life complications to superheroes (but then again look at my avatar, I'm not partial)

Stanley Kubrick took his time, most of his work was adaptations and he took long breaks between works.

If you ask me, that's Frank Miller not Alan Moore

Miller/Kubrick

All-Star Batman and Robin/Eyes Wide Shut
    Dark Knight Strikes Again/Full Metal Jacket
    Sin City/Shining
    300/Barry Lyndon
    Dark Knight Returns/2001 Space Odyssey
    Batman Year One/Clockwork Orange
    Daredevil/Spartacus/Paths of Glory/Lolita

I think Alan Moore is more like the Cohen Brothers

Did someone just compare Frank Miller to Kubrick?

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

David Lynch is the David Lynch of comics.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    David Lynch is the David Lynch of comics.
    Speaking of David Lynch, I have always found Daniel Clowes having a similar style as him. They both have a quirky sense of humor as well.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by genesis_pig View Post
    Speaking of David Lynch, I have always found Daniel Clowes having a similar style as him. They both have a quirky sense of humor as well.
    Makes sense.

Gary Spencer Millidge's Strangehaven owes a lot to Lynch (as do a couple Morrison and Ellis works), but I kinda discount because it's obvious borrowing of a style or technique.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Ugh. What???

I think it is a fair comparison. Of course any cross art form comparison will have differences. But as for Kubrick being in complete control, yes, but like artists in comics, he also had actors interpreting his ideas, and a technical crew working with him. Film is one of the most collaborative art forms there is.
    Would Dr. Strangelove be the same if any one but Peter Sellers were in it?
    Would Clockwork be the same with a different Alex.
    Would 2001 be the same without Trumbeull doing the FX?