Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default IMDB Message Boards Closing

Well I guess I've been living under a rock because I just found out IMDB is closing down their forums. I understand the reasoning behind this but wow. Their forums are MASSIVE. Posting there is literally non stop. I can't help wondering how this will affect them. Will they take any sort of hit with such a huge decrease in traffic? It's quite the vacuum they're leaving and it'll be interesting to see how it's filled.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Oops, sorry Mods. I didn't see the other thread. I guess delete or merge.

My bad
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Its so flooded by trolls that some movies message boards are unreadable

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Its so flooded by trolls that some movies message boards are unreadable
    This. But it will be interesting to see how their traffic is in the months after. Speaking only for myself, if I'm just looking at cast info I usually go to Wikipedia first, and for trivia/etc. I usually just look for articles/interviews. I personally won't have much use for the site without the boards.

Quote Originally Posted by tsaimelemoni View Post
    This. But it will be interesting to see how their traffic is in the months after. Speaking only for myself, if I'm just looking at cast info I usually go to Wikipedia first, and for trivia/etc. I usually just look for articles/interviews. I personally won't have much use for the site without the boards.
    Same i only use the message boards and only for smaller movies. I wont bother going near the ones for CBMs or big franchises. They are like troll utopia, friends debates are impossible. You get replys like "Tony Stark Sucks Dix". If some of troll were atleast funny it would be bearable

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Same i only use the message boards and only for smaller movies. I wont bother going near the ones for CBMs or big franchises. They are like troll utopia, friends debates are impossible. You get replys like "Tony Stark Sucks Dix". If some of troll were atleast funny it would be bearable
    Yeah big stuff like MCU or GoT are crazy. I also visit the smaller shows or movies and it sucks to see that go. The thing is this board had something for everything, casts, crew, and every show and movie. They have so much going on and super convenient to find. I think it's insane how huge they are and the hole this will be leaving.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Amazing Member

It won't be the same since I used those boards to read about theories from shows and movies.

The imdb forums were overrun with trolls. WAY WAY WAY too many off topic(OT) posts. A politics board was created for that very reason but certain posters still felt the need to make off topic political threads on the Arrow board for instance. You could not discuss anything having to do with the actual topic on the Game of Thrones board. And I couldn't discuss video games on the Video Game board because you'd be ran off by the trolls who only cared about the regs(regulars) that have frequented that board for years. Not to mention the constant off topic political posts that have nothing to do with video games.

the hell is going on with the internet? Boards are being closed left and right and people are being funneled to place where you cant have the same level of discussion.

Everyone is flipping out over the trump but i find this to be more scary. The net was supposed to be a place for exchanging ideas and now that idea is being completely destroyed. And the same exact excuse is given every time a board is close, "it to enhance user experience". How? How is it better to not being able to talk? Im not going to use twitter for IMDB, Pinterest? The hell?

I didnt use IMDB for big movies so i never had an issue with trolls. I used for small and niche stuff and found a whole mess of good info in the boards.

seriously, this is scary.

Astonishing Member

Trolling definitely ruined the boards but I'm going to miss it. It was my go-to board for discussing movies and shows. I haven’t posted as much lately but I can understand why people are freaking out. There aren't a lot of platforms out there the can adequately replace IMDB.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    the hell is going on with the internet? Boards are being closed left and right and people are being funneled to place where you cant have the same level of discussion.
    LOL! Your post reminds me of an article I read in a news magazine here in Canada years ago where it stated that the Internet was supposed to be a powerful tool for information. Instead it became a haven for cranks, perverts and weirdos.

I am sorry to see that IMBD is closing down. I found it useful for information and for discussions on most only made for cable dramas. It was one of the few forums that I would post to, and what made it great (like CBR) is the ignore list feature where you can just block out the more toxic people who go there to spread their internal misery. That being said I found that even the most intelligent shows weren't generating intelligent discussions. Just angry people who liked to attack the stars of the show. The hatred aimed at some of the female actresses was particularly disturbing. For example you'd think that a show like 'Suits' would get a lot of discussion about the work world. But most of the attacks were aimed at Megan Markle. I just found it off putting and rarely went on it.

Incredible Member

This is sad. So many memories.

Is this where the internet is heading? We need spaces where people can troll and get it out of their system. Plus, a lot of obscure movies on IMDb ONLY get discussed via the message boards. Just the other day, I was looking for a movie that only had a handful of reviews, the latest from 2014, but it had a relatively active message board.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Well there are people making forums to replace it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post

Everyone is flipping out over the trump but i find this to be more scary. The net was supposed to be a place for exchanging ideas and now that idea is being completely destroyed. And the same exact excuse is given every time a board is close, "it to enhance user experience". How? How is it better to not being able to talk? Im not going to use twitter for IMDB, Pinterest? The hell?

I didnt use IMDB for big movies so i never had an issue with trolls. I used for small and niche stuff and found a whole mess of good info in the boards.

seriously, this is scary.
    Agree it is very scary.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Sin View Post
    Well there are people making forums to replace it.
    None will catch on.