All-New Member

Question New to comic books - is there any Grim Dark/Horror Spider-man?

Hey guys!
    I'm just a newbie here. I don't live in US so I'm totally unfamiliar with all those weird story lines of spider man and others comic heroes. When I was a teenager (15 years ago) I really enjoyed Spiderman cartoons, then I was really frustrated with all those Movies, I never liked one. And Now I'm a grown-up in my late 20s, so I want to get back into comics, thanks to ebay and all those eshops with delivery worldwide.

I'm a huge fan on Warhammer Fantasy with it's grim and dark universe where there is no heroes or villains, like everyone is bad sort of thing going on.

So maby you could recommend me some comics for adults?

Basically why am I asking it in Spider-Men section because I more or less know the universe of spiderman, unlike most of DC chracters. But if you can recommend me something else would be great!

Most probably I will be buying not comics, but paperback trade books from BookDepository or ebay.

P.S. is there TMNT for grown-ups ?

Stories up your alley would include Kraven's Last Hunt, and the Death of Jean Dewolff. In the former, Spider-Man is buried alive by someone who goes on to usurp his identity. In the latter, a friend of his is killed by a maniac with a shotgun, and it ends up with Spider-Man so pissed off there's a possibility he'll kill off Daredevil.

The early Venom appearances might be up your alley. Those are collected in the Birth of Venom TPB, and cover the alien costume saga, as well as the first appearances of Venom.

Todd McFarlane's run was pretty much straight-up horror. His best arc in my opinion is his first "Torment" with the Lizard. Subsequent arcs have villains straight out of horror movies. Masques has vampires and demons. Perceptions is a team-up with Wolverine against the wendigo.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Andrey Goldman View Post
    I'm a huge fan on Warhammer Fantasy with it's grim and dark universe where there is no heroes or villains, like everyone is bad sort of thing going on.

So maby you could recommend me some comics for adults?

Basically why am I asking it in Spider-Men section because I more or less know the universe of spiderman, unlike most of DC chracters. But if you can recommend me something else would be great!
    Hello and welcome Andrey!

In addition to the stories Mister Mets recommeds, I would like to add the runs of three different Spider-related characters.

The first is the Scarlet Spider series of 2012. It is my favorite series and it follows the adventures of the very violent Kaine Parker as he tries to be Houston's new vigilante. Literally jumped blind into this story without knowing anything about the character and ended up loving it. Tone varies between good ridiculous fun and horror, and others times it gets too uncomfortable real with certain human issues. But Kaine is always brutal .Here is a thread with more descriptions and minor spoilers and opinions by several readers.

Another, far darker tale is the Venom series that started in 2010, where the alien symbiote bonds with Flash Thompson in a black-ops government program.

Then is the latest Carnage series, where the titular serial killer is hunted down by a special ops-team that includes Eddie Brock (now bonded with the Toxin symbiote) in an abandoned mine before spiraling into a horror dimension when a forbidden magical tome of eldritch abominations appears at bottom of it.

Besides buying TPBs, I recommend you to try Marvel Unlimited. Essentially a Netflix for Marvel comics.

Spider-Man: Fever is more psychedelic than horror, but it's certainly got some darkness.

Maybe the 90s Morbius series? It's quality deteriorates as it goes along, and Spidey doesn't show up much, but it's pretty grim.

I'll also second the current Carnage series. That has been a surprising gem of a book.

-Pav, who loves a little psychedelia in his comics...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

I'd also recommend Todd McFarlane's Spider-Man stories because they're pretty much horror stories with Spider-Man leading them. Are they the best things ever? I don't think so, but if you like McFarlane's art like I do they are super duper fun. The first story, Torment, is especially grimdark. Those stories have all been released in trades in the last few years, too. http://spiderfan.org/comics/title/spiderman.html

Kraven's Last Hunt I'd agree would be a really good one, too. Actually, that Torment story from Todd McFarlane was partially him taking some of Kraven's Last Hunt and trying to follow up on it.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    I'd also recommend Todd McFarlane's Spider-Man stories because they're pretty much horror stories with Spider-Man leading them. Are they the best things ever? I don't think so, but if you like McFarlane's art like I do they are super duper fun. The first story, Torment, is especially grimdark. Those stories have all been released in trades in the last few years, too. http://spiderfan.org/comics/title/spiderman.html

Kraven's Last Hunt I'd agree would be a really good one, too. Actually, that Torment story from Todd McFarlane was partially him taking some of Kraven's Last Hunt and trying to follow up on it.
    Thank you for answers guys!

Actually I did some research before posting, and Kraven's Last Hunt is really highly recommended Spider-Men series on any resource.

I was going to buy TPB but got confused. Because the only thing available is Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt Prose Novel by Neil Kleid. What actually is a Prose Novel? I guess it is not the thing everyone is recommending?

By the way what about Spider-Man: Electro & Sandman Volume 1 : The Gauntlet ? I found it myself and cover looks totally disturbing and cool. Is it what am I looking for or just the cover?

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

I'd say that Spider-Man: Gauntlet and Grim Hunt would fit your description quite well too!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrey Goldman View Post
    Thank you for answers guys!

Actually I did some research before posting, and Kraven's Last Hunt is really highly recommended Spider-Men series on any resource.

I was going to buy TPB but got confused. Because the only thing available is Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt Prose Novel by Neil Kleid. What actually is a Prose Novel? I guess it is not the thing everyone is recommending?

By the way what about Spider-Man: Electro & Sandman Volume 1 : The Gauntlet ? I found it myself and cover looks totally disturbing and cool. Is it what am I looking for or just the cover?
    You'll probably enjoy the Gauntlet. It was a longer arc that took some dark turns.

Kraven's Last Hunt refers to a comic book story by JM DeMatteis and Mike Zeck.

There's going to be a new edition (although it includes other stories that aren't as good) so some earlier collections are harder to get on Amazon at the moment, but this would be the book we're talking about.

https://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Kr...%27s+last+hunt

https://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Kr...KY8DN61RR4RXTF
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets