Page 125 of 140 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125126127128129135 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,875 of 2094
    Extraordinary Member

Damn, the official english dub of Dragon Ball Super is pretty dope.

I wasn't even aware that they'd made a dub of it until today.

No kidding! Its pretty good!

Astonishing Member

Both shows have merit and both have their fair share of faults. For me, Super has introduced numerous elements that have expanded/added to the shows mythos. I loved the concepts surrounding the Gods Of Destruction, the fact their are multiple universes and the Super Dragonballs. All of these feel like organic extensions of DB/DBZ. But Super's big problem is its over-reliance on nostalgia - more tournaments, more Frieza, more Broly - rather than giving us something entirely new. The only saga that gave us something new was Battle Of The Gods.

GT isn't perfect and It is my opinion that Super holds up a bit more in-terms of consistency. However, GT had some fantastic ideas in-play. The Baby Saga had a great foundation in that it featured the last of the Tuffles getting revenge on the Saiyans. Something he did by using Saiyans as his tools. Then adding insult by taking the humans who had adopted the last of the Saiyans and turning them into a new race of Tuffles.

The Shadow Dragons was another great idea. Throughout the entire series the Dragonballs were macguffins. So it was poetic in that they were the catalyst for the greatest threat to face Goku and the others. Plus we have to remember that GT gave us Super Saiyan 4. Which is a badass design and should be made canon again. But the rest? absolute dreck.

For me, I prefer GT a bit more. But I am comparing it to the Japanese version of Super (I am waiting until all of Super is dubbed before watching it.) From what I've seen so far, I am glad they've toned Goku down and given him some common sense in the dub. He came off increasingly stupid in the Japanese version. More so than he had previously when it was simple naivety.

Extraordinary Member

The moment of destiny has arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    I invite you to re-read the last few tomes of Dragon Ball.

No, not at all, Goku is not portrayed as he should be, as he was by the end of the manga. He's portrayed as he was in tome 5 or 6, when he truly was a child, and that's me being generous.

Yes, Goku's characterization did change over the years and to say that he was the same as he always was is just factually wrong.
    No need, I've pretty much consumed it all. I maintain my point, with the addendum that I didn't mean that nothing ever changed about him period. I didn't clarify so that's on me. What I meant is that the child-like nature of his personality has never changed, its never aged. What changed about him throughout the series is his his caring for friends and family after he met Bulma and went out into the world. What changed about him is his extreme desire to protect them, and the whole planet. And of course, his power levels. What's never changed though is that mentally he's always been a kid at heart, he's always been naïve, he's always been a bit one-track minded, and he's always loved martial arts and the prospect of getting stronger to the point it can easily take over on his list of priorities, outside of situations in which the chips are really down, cataclysmic type events. And I never saw any of that betrayed in DBS. He's still the naïve big kid who loves to fight, who loves to train, who loves to get stronger. He still loves his family and friends but he can sometimes be negligent of them when it comes to fighting (a constant for him from the beginning of Z). The only time I really batted an eye is that I would have liked to see him become more enraged when universes started being erased during the Tournament. But beyond that, he was Goku to me.

Really the only way I might get people being thrown is if their only material was the dubs. Beyond that, I don't see it at all.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-01-2018 at 02:10 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Damn, the official english dub of Dragon Ball Super is pretty dope.

I wasn't even aware that they'd made a dub of it until today.
    Definitely a way better dub than the first OP theme.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member

So I've actually read the latest DBS manga chapter now, the one with the Jiren/Roshi fight.

Gohan tying with Kefla is a better send off for him than going down together with Dyspo, but it still isn't really satisfying enough for what was set up for him.

Champa's exit as universe 6 is erased is actually pretty well done. It's just that the anime version was so much better, and Beerus' reaction in the anime resonated more emotionally than what we get in the manga.

Roshi's moment and pep talk to Goku is actually really good and him showing off a more instinct based way of fighting would've worked really well if the opponent was anybody but Jiren.

Extraordinary Member

Power rankings in the manga seem completely different than in the anime. Kale obliterates Anirza like nothing, when it took Goku, Vegeta, Frieza, Gohan, all fighting at their max, and 17 figuring out his weakpoint to beat him in the anime. Then she fuses to become Kefla, much more skilled and more powerful, and Gohan is exactly equal to Kefla.

Aniraza must be much weaker in the manga. Kale and Kefla might also be weaker, and Gohan seems a heck of a lot stronger.

Well the Pre-Tourney has started.

The Trio and U9 Gods English VA's sound pretty good.

Funny enough, if my calculations are correct. at the rate at which were going (factoring in the the occasional week off) the actual Tournament should begin right around the time of the dub release of the broly movie or shortly there after.

I am curious to see how many dub only fans are going to end up spoiling themselves by seeing Broly
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

More DB news:

Nana Mizuki of Naruto and Bleach fame has been cast as Chirai
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

DBS Ch 40 is out.

Not as egregious as previous chapters, but still not good.

18's lack of care of 17 blowing him self up (which we all know wont last lol) and Toppo's shameful exit did russle my jammies a bit

Astonishing Member

Still annoyed about Aniraza.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    DBS Ch 40 is out.

Not as egregious as previous chapters, but still not good.

18's lack of care of 17 blowing him self up (which we all know wont last lol) and Toppo's shameful exit did russle my jammies a bit
    Honestly? I dropped the manga awhile back. I've had more fun reading fanfics than the manga, in all honesty.

I'm late to the party but.......

Super. I don't like the series, but I do like the movies. Looking forward to the new Broly.

• Dull stories with no sense of drama or importance.
    • Super Saiyan transformations look dull & lifeless. Nothing to do with power as in Buu Saga, Goku turning SSJ1 looked epic
    • Super Saiyan Blue looks silly and is lazy
    • I love the idea of different universes BUT, instead of the characters visiting them and each being a saga. We got silly tournaments and clowns, talking animals and 'other Saiyans' learn ssj with ease.
    • Too many pointless tournaments
    • Goten & Trunks never age.
    • Goten & Trunks lack of character development
    • Bringing back Freieza and Vegeta being cool about it even though he killed Vegeta's father AND people
    • Future Trunks is a loser and looks like a late teen.
    • Vegetas' daughters name is stupid.

Dragon Ball GT. Everyone seems to have hated it, even before they finished watch DBZ.
    • The travelling through space was a brilliant idea and Goku & Co could of traversed the universe the same way Luffy does in One Piece, but instead it lasts for a few episodes.
    • They made Goku a kid when MOST of us always knew him as a grown ass man and it was a desperate attempt to recapture Dragonball original charm.
    • Baby was a brilliant idea, could of lead to a much deeper look into Saiyan lore and the Truffles past too? How advanced were they....but they didn't.
    • They turned Vegeta & Piccolo into geldings.
    • The warriors of the dead could of introduced Goku & Vegeta to Saiyans from their past and perhaps their fathers....and mothers.....but they didn't.
    • The ideas of the dragons from past wishes was a great idea but the fight scenes (as per usual) was poorly executed.

There are more but that's the gist.

I'd say the Future Trunks Arc and the TOP Arc certainly had moments of tension and drama. Particularly that barring Trunks and Mai, everyone and everything else in their timeline was erased.

First time we see SSJ God, Goku and Beerus' punch clashes threatened the universe itself, until Goku finally got the hang of his power. Even then, Beerus was still holding back a lot. I'd say that really upped the stakes.

Blue is what it is. Can't really argue that, but it does allow for, a time, perfect Ki control.

Silly tournaments have always been a part of Dragon Ball. Even the lauded Cell Games were silly, in that Cell didn't have to wait around for the warriors to get stronger. And complaining about talking animals now is just silly. Talking animals goes back to the original run with Puar, Oolong, and even King Furry himself. As for the Saiyans learning Super Saiyan, well, look at Goten and Trunks. They literally turned it into a child's plaything. The U6 Saiyans had the potential, just not the knowledge of Super Saiyan. That's what held them back.

Again, tournaments have almost always been a thing.

True on Goten and Trunks.

Also true.

Vegeta was not "cool" with the tyrant coming back. He only tolerated it because they badly needed a 10th member to avoid being erased.

A loser? He prevented Majin Buu from being revived and killed both Babidi and Dabura before they could begin their reign of terror on Earth. The only thing against him, was that the Supreme Kai was killed before he could defeat them. Trunks also actively fought to protect the people of his timeline, day and night, as he was the only protection they had. But he just wasn't enough. Unlike Goku and Vegeta, Trunks is an actual hero, devoting his life to protecting his world.

Bra? That whole family's name is based on underwear puns. Bulma for Bloomers, Trunks is obvious, Dr. Briefs, Tights (Bulma's older sister), and Toriyama thought that, if he were to name Bulma's mother, it'd be along the lines of "Panties". No joke, kind of. To harp on it now, when it has been there since the very first time Bulma was introduced in Chapter 1 of Dragon Ball, seems odd. In fact, nearly every character in the series has a name based on one pun theme or another.