Page 2 of 140 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Speaking of Super, I've got to say the new OP is great.

I like Dan Dan no Kokoro and all, but this gets me more hyped.
    I have to admit, it was pretty neat to see Goku fight a jacked-up Deadman.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

but i will call goku's intelligence and/or sanity into question in this one.

Sweet, I was wondering if there was a Super thread or not. This works!

Super for sure. So far we've seen alternate versions of what we've seen before, so I'm looking forward to the completely new ideas we haven't seen before. But everything since the trunks arc has been enjoyable. Though here is what doesn't sit right with me:

I thought super saiyan four was an absolute beautiful representation of a final form and a coming full circle of the transformations. There admittedly seems to be a lot more bs in that regard in Super. It seems they're going to use every color under the sun, with little effort in explanation. This god mode stuff completely cheapens the previous 3 forms and is now the base go-to form. I think they've gone to far with powering their characters.

It's the Goku show way more now than ever, the show is way more sillier than Z, and Goku seems a lot more dumb in this series. He used to be happy go lucky, and a bit naive but now he is childishly oblivious and more self concerned.

Also this is one of a few long running shows that doesn't look right with the modern bright crisp color aesthetic. It looks to fake to me if that makes any sense. I loved the dusty cinematic grit of GT's animation. The actual animation for Super regardless of color is also pretty freaking horrendous at times and overall just not good. I think they're churning these episodes out under more pressure this time around, so I understand but it's still not impressive lol.

I couldn't wait for the new theme song, at this point I would have taken anything. As long as it wasn't what we had, I actually strongly disliked Super's first OP song, so good riddance. Luckily I like this new song also, not just because it is different.

Astonishing Member

Have only watched a couple of episodes from Super,but Super is already looking to be way better that Dragon Ball GT.

Fantastic Member

Super is the only series I've seen thay has made filler episodes matter. Easy choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin705 View Post
    Super is the only series I've seen thay has made filler episodes matter. Easy choice.
    Agreed. It goes to show how important it is for the content to be made for the show first, and then the manga retelling later, rather than the other way around. That way, the filler can go so far as to foreshadow or provide actual plot or character development, and then the main thrust of the show to pick up on that. We actually get to see Krillin and Gohan grow once again.

At this point, since the filler is way more plot relevant than previous shows, to some extent it's not even filler anymore, since it's not made just to buy time for the main arcs. It's only filler in the sense that it's not part of the main story, but it remains important nonetheless. No need for something like a future Dragon Ball Super Kai version here. Even the slice of life episodes can advance the story.

i saw the movies but i havent seen the series, Im watching it as CN plays it, not really into that SSGod thing. The movie didnt not explained it well at all. Hopefully the anime does a better job.

I think people mostly hate GT cause it Akira had basically nothing to do with it.

Extraordinary Member

Neither is as good as Dragonball or Z, and neither makes any sense (see Goku getting hurt by a bullet after achieving god-status despite bullets bouncing off him when he was a child). But Super has actual character development and the occasional focus on people other than Goku, things GT never attempted to have. So Super by a mile.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

From the little I've seen, it's a bit hard to tell them apart. Both go for restoration of old school adventure while ramping up the power levels and transformations. I think the black star balls were a neat idea although it was driven into the ground as the story went on. Perhaps if they didn't go so far from the DBZ track with the wonky designs, people would like it as they like Super. I guess that was the problem with doing another show right at the point where Toriyama was finished with his involvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin705 View Post
    The original DB had pretty seamless filler. I think Goku going to face those demons or hanging out with those monkeys was as natural as the Toriyama stuff. Plus some of it worked with the plot, like seeing Nam hunted down.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    From the little I've seen, it's a bit hard to tell them apart. Both go for restoration of old school adventure while ramping up the power levels and transformations. I think the black star balls were a neat idea although it was driven into the ground as the story went on. Perhaps if they didn't go so far from the DBZ track with the wonky designs, people would like it as they like Super. I guess that was the problem with doing another show right at the point where Toriyama was finished with his involvement.
    I'm just personally speaking, but I'd been doing a rewatch of GT on Hulu, and I have to say, I feel like Super has much more heart in it. Even with GT's vibrant colors and more daring designs, it felt a bit like 90s overkill and therefore a little bit more cynical than Super = giving what they imagine viewers would want (more Saiyans! more powerups!) rather than what was more driven.

Though, with the latest batch of episodes, Super implies that Goku's naivete is morphing into arrogance, and since his naivete has typically led to trouble, Goku's actions might have much more dire consequences than any villain before him. To me it's more in line with the type of foreshadowed growth that Dragon Ball would have for Goku, and so this is almost like an inversion of how he started. It's a bit more introspective than GT, and so Toriyama's influence shows.

And I must say, Super's given me a couple moments where I'm close to Game of Thrones level-shocked. Not that Dragon Ball has ever been as complex or layered as Game of Thrones, but there are some definite twists and turns that defy expectation only because you become so invested in the characters.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I'm just personally speaking, but I'd been doing a rewatch of GT on Hulu, and I have to say, I feel like Super has much more heart in it. Even with GT's vibrant colors and more daring designs, it felt a bit like 90s overkill and therefore a little bit more cynical than Super = giving what they imagine viewers would want (more Saiyans! more powerups!) rather than what was more driven.

Though, with the latest batch of episodes, Super implies that Goku's naivete is morphing into arrogance, and since his naivete has typically led to trouble, Goku's actions might have much more dire consequences than any villain before him. To me it's more in line with the type of foreshadowed growth that Dragon Ball would have for Goku, and so this is almost like an inversion of how he started. It's a bit more introspective than GT, and so Toriyama's influence shows.

And I must say, Super's given me a couple moments where I'm close to Game of Thrones level-shocked. Not that Dragon Ball has ever been as complex or layered as Game of Thrones, but there are some definite twists and turns that defy expectation only because you become so invested in the characters.
    Well we know Toriyama was kinda annoyed with the English Dub turning Goku into a Hero Of Justice, so Super is doubling down on Goku's less savory traits as a result.

I also don't remember even Z giving the minor characters as much to do as Super does, let alone GT.

And It also amuses me how much Team 4Star's version influences Super (I'm thinking of the Yamcha episode specifically).The Super crew seems to enjoy playing with fan memes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    This is something I'm seriously happy about.

For a long time, Goku's ability to make friends with anyone has been one of his greatest strengths, yet now it's exactly his willingness to treat Zeno as his newest buddy that's directly responsible for one of the biggest crisis the multiverse has ever known.

Goku simply cannot get it in his head that he shouldn't treat Zeno the same as he does everyone despite repeated warnings of people who have known the guy longer than Goku, all because that's the same attitude that has helped him make friends in the past.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

I loved the first story arc of GT(Goku, Pan, and Trunks roaming the galaxy searching for the black star dragonballs). After that, it immediately went downhill and turned into the traditional "villain of the week" stuff that DBZ is known for, but with less creativity and development than DBZ had.

Super is fine. Lots of filler, but it goes back and forth between boring filler(the purple goo monsters) and awesome filler(the baseball episode). Also, I like that Super doesn't take itself too seriously. The stakes get very high, but the show isn't afraid to laugh at itself. The Goku Black arc has some of the highest stakes in all of Dragonball, and in the end, it turns out that Goku could have saved them at any time. He simply forgot that Zeno gave him that button. That fact alone made me burst out laughing.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    This is something I'm seriously happy about.

For a long time, Goku's ability to make friends with anyone has been one of his greatest strengths, yet now it's exactly his willingness to treat Zeno as his newest buddy that's directly responsible for one of the biggest crisis the multiverse has ever known.

Goku simply cannot get it in his head that he shouldn't treat Zeno the same as he does everyone despite repeated warnings of people who have known the guy longer than Goku, all because that's the same attitude that has helped him make friends in the past.
    hence why i call goku's intelligence/sanity into question. honestly, i'm starting to dislike goku now because of his actions in super. at least the other characters, notably vegeta, are showing growth and development. goku seems to have regressed in terms of personality and he's kinda acting like a dick. especially when he was giving vegeta guff for wanting to be there for the birth of his second child and not just leave at the drop of a hat to train.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    hence why i call goku's intelligence/sanity into question. honestly, i'm starting to dislike goku now because of his actions in super. at least the other characters, notably vegeta, are showing growth and development. goku seems to have regressed in terms of personality and he's kinda acting like a dick. especially when he was giving vegeta guff for wanting to be there for the birth of his second child and not just leave at the drop of a hat to train.
    So who's the best dad: Vegeta, Gohan or Krillin?
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.