Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Who is the target audience for this show? It doesn't seem like a show that old time Archie fans would be interested in (me) and do younger folks even care about Archie? I watched a few minutes of the premiere and turned it off. I would have watched an Archie show similar to the rebooted comic--a modern take on the characters minus the creepiness they've injected into this show.
    Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 02-07-2017 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    Who is the target audience for this show? It doesn't seem like a show that old time Archie fans would be interested in (me) and do younger folks even care about Archie? I watched a few minutes of the premiere and turned it off. I would have watched an Archie show similar to the rebooted comic--a modern take on the characters minus the creepiness they've injected into this show.
    CW is a very "tween" network. So late teens and early 20s. They had a **** load of Maybeline commercials, so maybe they mostly target women? And yeah, I've only read Waid's Archie and this was so different to me. I feel like they are using the existing intellectual property as a crutch for their show. If they didn't have any rights to Archie characters, I dunno if this would have even been green lit.
    Superhero shows are trash

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    CW is a very "tween" network. So late teens and early 20s. They had a **** load of Maybeline commercials, so maybe they mostly target women? And yeah, I've only read Waid's Archie and this was so different to me. I feel like they are using the existing intellectual property as a crutch for their show. If they didn't have any rights to Archie characters, I dunno if this would have even been green lit.
    Are teens/early 20's even aware of Archie these days? (outside of a certain group) I just picture kids watching this show and wondering why everyone has a weird 1950's name and then changing the channel.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I've been a reader of Archie Comics for forty years now, and I've had ZERO interest in watching Riverdale because the whole "Leave It To Beaver Meets Twin Peaks" angle just plain does nothing for me, if anything, it bastardizes the characters I grew up with. Now, if an adaptation of Mark Waid's Archie reboot was shown on say, the Disney Channel where it would be aimed at kids and perhaps early tweens (or whatever they're called), that might be something I'd be willing to watch, not this show.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I've been a reader of Archie Comics for forty years now, and I've had ZERO interest in watching Riverdale because the whole "Leave It To Beaver Meets Twin Peaks" angle just plain does nothing for me, if anything, it bastardizes the characters I grew up with. Now, if an adaptation of Mark Waid's Archie reboot was shown on say, the Disney Channel where it would be aimed at kids and perhaps early tweens (or whatever they're called), that might be something I'd be willing to watch, not this show.
    Yeah, man. I feel the same way about the Gotham TV show because they jacked that up to the point people view it as an Elseworld's tale lol. This is just...something weird entirely.

I love the show. Archie reader since I was a kid too so I care about the voices and how each character is represented. Then again I'm also in my twenties (barely) so maybe I'm just the demo for this show. This is how I've always wanted to adapt Archie for live action actually (with a little less murder). Hope the quality continues

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    Riverdale was created by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, who is the Chief Creative Officer of Archie Comics. I haven't read an Archie comic book in years, but I am assuming that since he created the show,
    and is the head man of the Archie comic books, that the show is based on the current Archie comic books. So I guess it is targeted at people who still read Archie comic books.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Riverdale was created by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, who is the Chief Creative Officer of Archie Comics. I haven't read an Archie comic book in years, but I am assuming that since he created the show,
    and is the head man of the Archie comic books, that the show is based on the current Archie comic books. So I guess it is targeted at people who still read Archie comic books.
    Oh I know who created it and I'm still wondering what the hell he's smoking. I'm reading the current Archie run and would have to say that this show is not based on anything I've read in the last 13 or so issues. No murder, teacher sex, and possible incest in these comic books. It seems that the similarities begin and end with the character names at least as far as I can tell in my limited exposure to the show and what I've read about it. I would have watched Riverdale 90210, but this seems to be something entirely different.
    Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 02-08-2017 at 05:32 AM.

Oh I know who created it and I'm still wondering what the hell he's smoking. I'm reading the current Archie run and would have to say that this show is not based on anything I've read in the last 13 or so issues. No murder, teacher sex, and possible incest in these comic books. It seems that the similarities begin and end with the character names at least as far as I can tell in my limited exposure to the show and what I've read about it. I would have watched Riverdale 90210, but this seems to be something entirely different.
    Truth right here! It's like crazy fan fiction.

Astonishing Member

I've read the Archie comics growing up. I think Riverdale is a pretty good show. I would have like a more "Saved By the Bell" more comedy angle personally but it's good. It's more what Archie probably would be if they had created it today.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Archie as a trashy teen drama as an odd appeal to me.

I am a 28 year old male and I have to admit I enjoyed the first 2 episodes.

Would I have watched it if it wasn't based off the Archie characters? Most likely not...

It's by no means amazing TV, but it is a nice hour escape from reality.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Isn't that a bit redundant? Twin Peaks essentially was a subversion of the picturesque suburban experience, exposing the lies we tell ourselves about our perfect lives with white picket fences. To me, Archie being updated in this fashion works because Archie fits that whole squeaky clean small town mentality. But then again, I'm really liking the show. I have no connection to Archie really outside of the characters as cultural touchstones. So my opinion comes with a grain of salt.

Mighty Member

Betty and Veronica are going to elope.

Quote Originally Posted by tabo61 View Post
    Betty and Veronica are going to elope.
    Maybe they can make it a double wedding with Kevin and Moose.