Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

What an eventful episode. And Aguirre-Sacasa wasn't kidding when he said this season would go darker than the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    Huh. I found the note from the Black Hood suitably creepy but... anyone else surprised he called himself a Wolf to the sheep/public? Hard to believe he'd see himself as the bad guy in the story.
    I dunno, "sheep" emphasises more on stupidity and blindness than innocence, making the wolf that finishes off more of a good guy.

I don't know why Polly headed to the farm. It's not like Miss Grundy was safe even outside of Riverdale. At least if she stayed at home she would have been protected by family and friends.

Astonishing Member

So Black Hood is a moral crusader.

Archie baiting Black Hood will only lead to trouble.

Nice to get some insight into Kevin, he's not had this spotlight on him before.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Is MLJ the publisher of Archie Comics? They did stuff other than Archie/Jughead/Betty and Veronica Digests? Oh and the Sonic comic books.
    Learning new stuff.
    MLJ is who Archie Comics was before they were Archie Comics. Like how DC used to be National Periodicals and Marvel used to be Timely Comics. They used to publish superheroes like pretty much everyone did back then. The Web, the Fox, the Black Hood, Steel Sterling, The Comet, etc. They even had a Captain America type who predated Captain America named the Shield. Despite most of them being solid concepts they didn't really catch on. Instead, the public seemed to just love this humor strip starring a character named Archie Andrews. The MLJ heroes never go away for long, though. There was an attempted revival in the '70s called Red Circle Comics. And DC Comics licensed the characters twice. Once in the '90s as an imprint called Impact Comics and once maybe a decade ago when they published comics of The Shield, The Web and Mighty Crusaders. Just recently, Archie Comics themselves brought them back as line called The Dark Circle. I think a new Mighty Crusaders comic is coming soon too.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I dunno, "sheep" emphasises more on stupidity and blindness than innocence, making the wolf that finishes off more of a good guy.

I don't know why Polly headed to the farm. It's not like Miss Grundy was safe even outside of Riverdale. At least if she stayed at home she would have been protected by family and friends.
    True it can be used like that but Black Hood seemed to be using sheep as a positive trait. The sins are corrupting the sheep and all that. He seemed to be aiming for the biblical sense of the term. I figured he'd say he were the Shepherd. But hey. Given this is a persona he's putting on anyway (whoever HE is) it's easy to say he just wants folks scared and doesn't care if it makes sense fully.

Isn't the farm supposed to be really far from Riverdale? I'd have to assume if Jason and Polly were running there to be away from Riverdale. A bit different from across the river in Greendale.

I do admit I was a bit surprised that the Black Hood actually was the one who killed Ms. Grundy. I figured it'd be revealed her killing was by someone else who just copied the mask for measure of scaryness since the style of death was different.

Course at this point we're only assuming there's only one Black Hood since that seems the most likely answer, it'd be a real creepy twist if we found out it was a group somehow using a shared identity.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    MLJ is who Archie Comics was before they were Archie Comics. Like how DC used to be National Periodicals and Marvel used to be Timely Comics. They used to publish superheroes like pretty much everyone did back then. The Web, the Fox, the Black Hood, Steel Sterling, The Comet, etc. They even had a Captain America type who predated Captain America named the Shield. Despite most of them being solid concepts they didn't really catch on. Instead, the public seemed to just love this humor strip starring a character named Archie Andrews. The MLJ heroes never go away for long, though. There was an attempted revival in the '70s called Red Circle Comics. And DC Comics licensed the characters twice. Once in the '90s as an imprint called Impact Comics and once maybe a decade ago when they published comics of The Shield, The Web and Mighty Crusaders. Just recently, Archie Comics themselves brought them back as line called The Dark Circle. I think a new Mighty Crusaders comic is coming soon too.
    I think actually remember an advertisement for the Shield back when I was still following the Sonic the Hedgehog comic books actually...
    Neat, didn't know all that.

Incredible Member

Am I being crazy or did Polly look a lot less pregnant this episode compared to last season, I remember her pregnant belly being bigger for some reason

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    Am I being crazy or did Polly look a lot less pregnant this episode compared to last season, I remember her pregnant belly being bigger for some reason
    It didn't occur to me until you mentioned it but you're right. She was mega pregnant since the first time we saw her in the middle of last season. Hard to believe that that was supposed to be less than 3 months ago. It's like she's been stuck in a time stasis since.

Astonishing Member

This latest episode was definitely interesting.

Should be interesting to see how things ramp up from here.

I am interested that so many default on the idea of the Black Hood being a Southside Serpent without any real indication for that to be likely. Seems as awkward as no one questioning why Betty/the family didn't question how the Black Hood could know her so well since it's clear he didn't just have info about her from the jubilee and on but from her childhood.

Yeah Black Hood's creepiness is definitely fun to see. Love how he didn't even show up here and still has a presence. But I'll continue the if it's somehow not Betty's dad I'll be surprised minset.

Wonder why Cheryl was so happy to help Veronica distribute the T-shirts. Man she must love seeing things go south for others. :P

I was surprised to see Reggie and co. return after leaving. Glad to see they have some nobility in them.

Astonishing Member

How do we know Black Hood was targeting the town hall? The cipher said where it all began. Could the strike have been at Pop's? That makes sense, since Betty made a huge effort to keep it operational, and it's the first public strike Black Hood made. Or what if Black Hood wanted Betty to disrupt the meeting?

And as mentioned it's someone who knows Betty, or at least has access to historical records of her library borrowing. It's ironic that while Archie's personal business is getting everyone involved, Black Hood is focusing his attentions on Betty.

Good to see Archie has realised he was sliding down the slippery slope. But how much of that conversation between him and Veronica did Fred overhear?

The meeting reminded me more than ever of the Dark Shadows audio storyline Bloodlust, where the murder of an innocent in mysterious circumstances threatens to tear the town of Collinsport in two. In that a town meeting called to deal with the crisis proved a turning point in the story. It's a miniseries well worth listening to, complete with romance, murder, grudges, supernatural creatures, a fascinating moral debate and a compelling mystery.
    Last edited by jbmasta; 11-04-2017 at 12:05 AM.

Lol this show is so much fun. Best episode of the season so far. And the sexual assault subplot is uncannily timely, like the writers and creators had a premonition or something.

Is The Sugarman supposed to be a reference to an old comic book character too?

Two things learned from this episode - don't mess with the Lodges and don't mess with Betty.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

I love that it certainly seemed like Hiram and Hermione put out a (non lethal) hit on Nick at the end. It was basically an open secret. Love it. Didn't actually expect to see Nick again after that beatdown last episode but how fun. *kicks him again* And a sore reminder of the real life issues but thankfully not as bad as many of the real ones.

I love ya Betty but maybe it's not in your best interests to TELL the Black Hood a (seemingly) ruthless maniac you're out to stop him as such. Even if the Black Hood probably knows so already.

The Sugarman reveal was a sad surprise but also not really what I expected but it works. Kinda surprised the Ghoulies weren't gotten by the Black Hood. Of course without him I wonder what the Ghoulies fund raising efforts will be now assuming Jingle Jangle is done (no reason it has to be admittedly).

And a side bit but man does Cheryl's actress love chewing that scenery in the drag race flagging.

Probably the best guilty pleasure show for me right now. Season 2 of Riverdale is pretty much Season 1 of Arrow with the whole masked man murdering people under the guise of cleansing a city...

Seeing Cole Sprouse make a mean scowl or a menacing voice has me in stitches

I missed most of the current episode, so gotta catch the beginning again.
    Superhero shows are trash

Astonishing Member

Could Black Hood be in the police department? Someone tired of red tape?

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    Could Black Hood be in the police department? Someone tired of red tape?
    I'm thinking Sheriff Keller is one possibility.