Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Just wonder, should peter get his 'other' powers again?

I like the spikes he had and ability to use his own web. What power set do you like spidey with

Astonishing Member

I don't really like him creating his own web, like the Raimi trilogy. Peter developing the web fluid and shooters is a display of his intellect. At least in the movies, organic webbing is an ability Peter doesn't know the limits of, and doesn't know when it will run out. While the web fluid will sometimes run out, at least Peter has a solution in the event he can resolve the situation without it. A classic example of this is in Ultimate Spider-Man. Spidey is chasing the Green Goblin, but the two end up falling off the tower and toward the street below. Too bad Carol Danvers used up all the web fluid while interrogating Spidey earlier...

Astonishing Member

I thought it was pretty cool when Pete was stuck with that extra set of arms for an issue or 2. I'd like to see that as a standard thing for one of the Spider Folk.... Maybe not Pete. Maybe they'd be retractable. Maybe they'd only pop out in times of extreme panic or fight or flight. Also I'd like to see some variations in webbing like maybe electrified webbing or tranquilizer webbing or webbing that drains a victim' life force kind of in the same way that a Spider does a fly. If a Spider Hero had an extra set of arms He or she could have 2 different kinds of webbing ready at all times

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I don't think the spikes would work for Peter, it worked better for Kaine in his Scarlet Spider run IMO, man I miss that book! As for the webbing I agree with jbmasta that I prefer Peter creating his own web, the organic webbing was totally just Marvel tying into the Raimi films at the time. Again I feel it worked better for Kaine than it ever did for Peter.

So I guess my answer to the question is ''No'' Peter shouldn't get his ''other'' powers back. Made for some neat stories at the time but I don't think it should be revisited anytime soon in 616 personally.

I had no problem with the organic webbing (I was introduced to the character through the original movies, and find that that change seems to make more logical sense than artificial webbing). However, beyond that, I prefer Spider-Man keeping his classic powers, classic costume, classic supporting cast, classic villains, classic status quo, etc. (In other words, everything that the 616 comics currently are not.)

Fantastic Member

I hear the webbing issue. Making his webbing makes for better stories, when needs to make special webbing. I really like spikes. I just thing Spiderman should have a set of power that the other spider people don't have. I mean for me, Miles is seems to be stronger then him.

Think there should be more done to make Peter the superior spider

I like organic webs more than artificial, for the sole reason that it's the ability spiders are most known for. How can Peter get all the other powers of a spider but not webs? Doesn't make any sense.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I like organic webs more than artificial, for the sole reason that it's the ability spiders are most known for. How can Peter get all the other powers of a spider but not webs? Doesn't make any sense.
    My problem with organic webbing is that unless the parameters around it are established, like how Peter produces it (does it affect his health, does he need to consume a certain food to be able to generate it?) and it's limitations, then writers can use it to suit the plot without worrying about messing with continuity. It could too easily become a dues ex machine for a tricky situation. It could fail just when the writer needs it to fail for the sake of the story. At least with mechanical webbing we know where Peter stands, and know what has happened if he runs outs. Peter can adapt it, maybe to deliver electricity or an anaesthetic even.

And if Peter did gain the ability to shoot webs organically, it'd be out of his butt, where spiders usually excrete their webbing.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    My problem with organic webbing is that unless the parameters around it are established, like how Peter produces it (does it affect his health, does he need to consume a certain food to be able to generate it?) and it's limitations, then writers can use it to suit the plot without worrying about messing with continuity. It could too easily become a dues ex machine for a tricky situation. It could fail just when the writer needs it to fail for the sake of the story. At least with mechanical webbing we know where Peter stands, and know what has happened if he runs outs. Peter can adapt it, maybe to deliver electricity or an anaesthetic even.

And if Peter did gain the ability to shoot webs organically, it'd be out of his butt, where spiders usually excrete their webbing.
    How can organic webbing be Deus Ex Machina? It will actually have more limitations than artificial webbing. He won't be able to change it for different purposes like he does with artificial webbing. The only upside is practically limitless supply. Which doesn't bother me. In fact, I get irritated when the artificial webbing gets empty only when the plot demands it.

Yeah, it will come out of his butt if we think "realistically". And "realistically" speaking, there is no way that much web fluid can be stored up in those small wrist bands in the first place.
    Last edited by SpiderClops; 02-06-2017 at 04:35 AM.

BANNED

He technically still has those powers, including the organic webbing. There was never a story that removed them.

The organic webbing is not actually part of his "The Other" powers though. He got that in a completely different story.

I'd love to see those upgrades back, they were pretty cool and Peter still looked like Spider-man to me.
    What I don't like is him being nerfed in order to fight weaklings like Hammerhead, Tombtone, Vulture and so on... He should get those powers back, and then his rogue gallery should also get some upgrades in order to become a proper menace. But fighting gangsters because the "street level" thingy looks dated imho, that was ok when he was a kid, but now I want to see Peter dealing with bigger stuff

From my experience, there's little difference between the organic and artificial webbing as far as story-telling is concerned; they work as long as the plot wants them to and only fail when the plot wants them to. I also think that the question of biological production is easier to gloss over than how a teen was able to invent the most advanced adhesive in the world in his basement on a shoestring budget (the Ultimate comics did somewhat justify it by having him putting the finishing touches on something his father was working on).

As far as the customizable webbing, I will concede that that's one nice thing about it. I don't hate the artificial webbing; it has lead to some good stories and stuff (custom webbing, damaged shooters, etc., but I find it's hardly sacred ground for the character (as pointed out before, 99% of the time, the organic and artificial webbing do exactly the same thing).

Since Peter generally remained human after getting the spider powers, I don't really see why we need to insist that the organic webs couldn't have come from his wrists.

iMan 42s

I'm indifferent towards organic webbing to artificial.
    It's overall fine to me but the parameters for it aren't really established for it to be anything more than cosmetic so it doesn't really bother me when it comes up. The webshooters tend to screw up as the plot demands it anyways so it might as well be cosmetic. It's not a Captain Cold Ice gun to Ice generation thing since both webbing functioned the same so it just didn't bother me as much.

The stingers I felt was a perfectly fine addition. The stingers worked for me since arguably that could apply to spiders similarly to turning invisible or how poorly defined the spider sense actually is. A connection exists but logically it would only show up so much considering Peter while having killed before, isn't normally going to use a bladed weapon on somebody. In that case I think it made perfect sense for Kaine to have it.

It does seem like a waste to just get rid of the Other powers for Kaine and Peter since they had so much potential. It's a damn shame so the powers should get brought back.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

I think Kaine should get them back, to well, distinguish him from Peter a bit. That is pretty much why I liked Kaine more than Ben, edgier and less similar.

Astonishing Member

I always thought that it was stupid and lazy that organic webbing looked exactly like web fluid webbing.