Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Why? They essentially worked the same way as the artificial ones did and didn't really change the story that much.
    Of course the story got changed,the origin from Amazing Fantasy 15 have nothing to do with organic webs.
    Plus i always liked several aspects of the web shooters of Spider-Man,as that being something he invented right in the first stories thus showing the genious Peter Parker was in the first stories or Spider-Man runing out of web cartridges and so on.
    The organing weebing was always a extra power that i found to be silly.

BANNED

Where did the organic webbing come from anyway? He had it for some time before the Other story even started.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Of course the story got changed,the origin from Amazing Fantasy 15 have nothing to do with organic webs.
    True, but it was a difference that had minimal impact on the story itself; it's still essentially the same story. Compare that to other stuff, like how the X-Men movies have modified stuff. Characters like Rogue essentially have a brand-new backstory.

Plus i always liked several aspects of the web shooters of Spider-Man,as that being something he invented right in the first stories thus showing the genious Peter Parker was in the first stories or Spider-Man runing out of web cartridges and so on.
    I'm not sure that we need to see him make artificial webbing to prove that he's a smart guy. They can provide fodder for interesting stories, sure. I don't hate them. I just find it odd that so many people dislike the organic webbing when, from a story-telling perspective, they work about the same as the artificial ones; Spider-Man only runs out if the story wants him to, otherwise he might as well have an endless supply in one clip. The organics also streamline the origin story a bit, which works very well in settings like movies where time is a premium (the scene where he's trying to make them work in the first movie is a riot). Also, when handled improperly, the artificial webbing can lead to plot holes. I still don't understand how Peter got it in the Webb movies, for example.

The organing weebing was always a extra power that i found to be silly.
    Webs are probably the most famous spider-related ability. It's kind of odd that that's the one thing Peter didn't get from the spider bite

Astonishing Member

I'm not sure that we need to see him make artificial webbing to prove that he's a smart guy. They can provide fodder for interesting stories, sure. I don't hate them. I just find it odd that so many people dislike the organic webbing when, from a story-telling perspective, they work about the same as the artificial ones; Spider-Man only runs out if the story wants him to, otherwise he might as well have an endless supply in one clip. The organics also streamline the origin story a bit, which works very well in settings like movies where time is a premium (the scene where he's trying to make them work in the first movie is a riot). Also, when handled improperly, the artificial webbing can lead to plot holes. I still don't understand how Peter got it in the Webb movies, for example.
    The artifical webbing is not needed to show Peter is a smart guy,but is a nice to way to that characteristic reflect in Spider-Man.
    The organic webbing being able to streamline the origin in the movies is not something i agree because Amazing Fantasy 15 included the origin of Spider-Man powers and Peter Parker inventing the web fluid and web shooters without that being a complicated origin thus i think the same thing can be applied in the movies as well.

Webs are probably the most famous spider-related ability. It's kind of odd that that's the one thing Peter didn't get from the spider bite
    Considerating how versatile the artificial webbing have been used by Spider-Man,him not getting the ability from the Spider bite is a no issue to me.
    Plus the superior agility,enhanced strenght,wall crawling and Spider Sense always seemed enough to me as the powers Spider-Man got from his origin.
    The artificial webbing to me was a way to Spider-Man powers reflect Peter Parker intelligence.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Where did the organic webbing come from anyway? He had it for some time before the Other story even started.
    Its from a rather sub par story imo.
    I only read that story once,years ago so i dont remember that much but it was something about Spider-Man mutating in a giant Spider and getting better after but with the powers of the organic webbing.
    That story is from Spectacular Spider-Man vol 2#15 to 20.

Fantastic Member ZoomZolomonZoom's Avatar

As a lifelong fan of Spider-Man, I will say with absolute impunity I prefer the organic webbing to the mechanical webbing every single time. Yes, I've heard at least a million times how making it shows what a budding genius Spider-Man is, it's gross, it should come out of his butt (even though webs on actual spiders aren't secreted from their anus), etc.

The first one never made any sense to me. Couldn't Peter just create other devices for crime fighting to show how smart he is? There's no real reason it has to be web shooters other than that's the way it's always been, which as far as I'm concerned is not a good enough reason. Especially because it begs the question what makes him a spider-Man in the first place then? None of his other powers of sensitive hairs, wall crawling, stamina, etc are unique to a Spider. He could've easily just been Insect-Man and it would've worked all the same. The organic web solidifies him as being a mutate with Spider abilities. It's also pretty inconsistent from an in-universe perspective that almost every other Spider-Man (Noir, 2099, Silk, etc) can generate webs but Peter can't.

The Web Shooters have always been something I could overlook when enjoying Spider-Man and his stories, but I've never really liked them and if anything thought they held back what could've been a iconic ability for the character.
    My name is Hunter Zolomon. Despite what the public believes, I am the fastest man alive

BANNED

perhaps spiderman should avoid getting the other powers as it will make him a clone of wolverine only with added ability of webbing and spider telepathy.

BANNED

I think The Other powers should only manifest themselves when Peter is in extreme difficulties...such as a very long and engaged battle, or when he is facing a superior and stronger foe.

I like the idea that Peter's genius in making the mechanical web-shooters was guided in a kind of mystical way by the gaining of spider-powers.

Honestly, I think organic webs make more sense, but mechanical is classic. Also, I like my spider-changes in Peter to generally be bad things rather than power ups.

Plus, Ben Reilly's arsenal was the coolest!

-Pav, who likes some nice impact webbing...

EDIT: READ SCARLET SPIDER!!!
    Last edited by Pav; 07-20-2017 at 08:27 PM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Currently MagSeven

He could always have organic webbing in addition to web shooters that deploy specialized webs. Although that might be overkill.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Nah, I think organic webs are gross. Besides, mechanical webbing has the major advantage that Peter can make changes to the formula for different needs (ex. acid webbing, concrete webbing, etc.), or utilize his webbing in a greater variety of ways by modifying the webshooters (ex. making web constructs, or shooting other things out of the webshooters like sonic attacks and stuff).

Fantastic Member ZoomZolomonZoom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Nah, I think organic webs are gross. Besides, mechanical webbing has the major advantage that Peter can make changes to the formula for different needs (ex. acid webbing, concrete webbing, etc.), or utilize his webbing in a greater variety of ways by modifying the webshooters (ex. making web constructs, or shooting other things out of the webshooters like sonic attacks and stuff).
    You know, people seem to complain that organic webbing is gross only when the mainstream Peter Parker exhibits it. But when Silk, Miguel O'Hara, Noir Spider-Man have it no one bats an eye lash or overthinks it. Idk just find that to be a particularly odd double standard.
    My name is Hunter Zolomon. Despite what the public believes, I am the fastest man alive

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZolomonZoom View Post
    You know, people seem to complain that organic webbing is gross only when the mainstream Peter Parker exhibits it. But when Silk, Miguel O'Hara, Noir Spider-Man have it no one bats an eye lash or overthinks it. Idk just find that to be a particularly odd double standard.
    Probably just because it's not what the original comics originally showed.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZolomonZoom View Post
    Well, for Silk it is a way to make her different than Peter (she is weaker and less durable, but has a better Spider sense and organic webbing). I don't mind it for Miguel because he is easily the most "Spider"-y of all of them (50% Spider, fangs, poison), and I don't think Noir Spider-Man has appeared in enough comics for people to care about him. For the record, I do think it is gross in all of them as well, but it is probably better than them having no web powers at all or all of them needing to come to Peter for his tech.

iMan 42s

In the case of Spider-man Noir, both had been miniseries that of course are set in an alternate universe. Not to mention that the series began around the depression, so Peter simply wouldn't have access to the materials needed to create the normal webshooters. It should also be noted his powers in the Noir universe are mystical in origin. I'm pretty sure that a similar setup was done for Spider-man 1602 as well. In both cases it's ignored considering the technology for Peter to make web shooters would be extraordinarily crude or non-existent.

I can imagine that webshooters are a thing in other spiders when they have the aptitude to make them, and as a concept it isn't that difficult though the biggest problem is what exactly is webfluid. It's likely a case of making things easier on the writers so not everyone is on Peter's level and can upstage him in the webbing.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.