Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 51
  1. #16
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I can't believe you're all against the Guardians of the Galaxy. It's like the Lego Batman Movie, but in space. Plus how can you say no to a talking tree and Raccoon who stole the show with their antics ?
    I've never been a fan of any incarcation of the GOTG comic or otherwise, the movie was just ok and not fantastic as critics are raving about. Marvel Studios simply wanted to play it safe with what the moviegoing audience is comfortable with and simply made a thinly veiled carbon copy of the Star Wars formula and tropes.

    And not that it's a bad thing since imitation is a sincerist form of flattery I mean god knows how many Star Wars rip-offs there have been but there was no originality, now that Disney owns Marvel they're trying to pacify their movies and make if family friendly for merchansising, theme park purposes.

  2. #17
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Selina View Post
    Yeah, I am just tired of all the DCEU hate. The MCU has worse films than MOS and BvS but MCU always gets a pass.

    People seem to be using the lego batman as proof that critics are not paid by disney to bash DCEU movies. I never thought critics are actually paid to like MCU films and hate DC films but I always felt the critics turn into soft puppies whenever they review the mcu movies. they go way too easy on their movies compared to the DCEU and X-Men films.

    Lego Batman is mostly a kid's movie so the critical reception of the film will be lighter than the DCEU films.
    Ahhh great....another "LEGOs are for kids" person.

    LEGOs are for anyone, five to old person who enjoys them, the only true Legos that are and mostly are more pandering to children are either the extremely simpler Lego Junior sets or the DUPLOs. I really, really, REALLY do not think children alone to have the attention, coordination, patience, or commitment span to build a several hundred piece rocking Batmobile, Batcave, Arkham Asylum, nor have the interest in the intelligently funny pop culture references, or the obscure Bat-Villains, like Zebra Man, Zodiac Master, or the Eraser, the joke that is alternate costumes ("Glam Metal Batman", "Fairy Batman", "Reggae Man"), or "get" that Robin's not wearing pants, or that Two-Face will be Billy Dee Williams.

    They could had 100X cheapened the graphics, not so high budgeted the voice actor choices, and use dopily generically sugary sweet music, but NO, THIS is going to be ALL OUT, not some Barney the Dinosaur or Land Before Time direct to video sequels sing-along.

    You still have a few more days, to watch LEGO MOVIE first before LEGO BATMAN MOVIE, to experience that "EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!".
    Last edited by ngroove; 02-06-2017 at 11:33 PM.

  3. #18
    Rookie Member JamesC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Gorleston-on-Sea, England
    Posts
    60

    Default

    The plural of Lego is Lego.

    Also, the MCU bias is a figment of the imagination I think.
    While some of their films haven't been fantastic there are certain things critics look for that Marvel gets right and Snyder (in particular) gets wrong. Look at the criticisms of Snyder's pre-DC films (in particular Sucker Punch) and you'll see that the criticisms are all pretty familiar.
    That's not to say the DC films are without their good points though.

  4. #19
    Astonishing Member dancj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,725

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    The plural of Lego is Lego.
    Technically a mass noun - so Lego is always singular.

    I guess you found the previous post as painful to read as I did

  5. #20
    Rookie Member JamesC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Gorleston-on-Sea, England
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Technically a mass noun - so Lego is always singular.

    I guess you found the previous post as painful to read as I did
    Heh, I know the debate rages on with this one. According to Lego themselves the plural should always be Lego bricks or Lego pieces (which is a bit of a mouthful). But yes, putting an 'S' on the end always sounds wrong to me. I've never heard a British person say 'Legos' but Americans always seem to, so I guess it depends where you're from to some extent.

  6. #21
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Grace didn't like it much which is good news for me loving lego batman. She tends to disagree with majority critics. Most of the times if she is really loving a movie, it probably means that movie either sucks or is mediocre.

  7. #22
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Heh, I know the debate rages on with this one. According to Lego themselves the plural should always be Lego bricks or Lego pieces (which is a bit of a mouthful). But yes, putting an 'S' on the end always sounds wrong to me. I've never heard a British person say 'Legos' but Americans always seem to, so I guess it depends where you're from to some extent.
    Not the point I'm trying to make - that this is going to be not or more than just another "kid's movie".
    Last edited by ngroove; 02-07-2017 at 08:54 PM.

  8. #23
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,132

    Default

    The reason BvS was mostly shat on is because Snyder isn`t a storyteller and his filmography alone atests to that. He storyboards the visuals which are killer but characters aren`t supposed to just look cool in a story, they have to make sense within.

    The "do you bleed" scene is a stark exemple of characters being cardboards just to look cool and spout that one line Snyder wants despite not making any sense even inside the logic of said scene.
    Last edited by Aioros22; 02-07-2017 at 11:05 AM.

  9. #24
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,132

    Default

    And by the way, while Marvel Studios does have less than stelar movies, the reason it gets on the whole less criticism is because the Studio have been planning the movies like a big puzzle where pieces fit unto the world building and they don`t rush it to have everything in one movie. Compare that with suddently trying to make a movie where all the Leaguers are first presented as characters (not even as a team) and you get a confusing salad. The one movie where Snyder was required to have tremendous storytelling to juggle with his storyboard and it simply fails to deliver.

    Here`s a simple exemple MOS (which I like up until the third part) final segment falls: you have the hero move out of the way of a thrown truck that blows up the whole entrance of the building behind just so he can hover to the camera and look cool. That`s basic storyboarding on a visual level but how does it make sense for Superman to do it and how wouldn`t make the audience cringe and think "maaan....you coulda at least try to catch it...you`re the hero, not a model posing for a snapshot!".

  10. #25
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Selina View Post
    Lego Batman is almost like a cartoon so the rules are not the same as GOTG. I am sorry but I hated gotg. it was awful to me and the jokes were not funny. the story was so cliche and poorly written.

    a talking tree who say only three sentences is cringe worthy and derivate. how can that have stolen the show for anyone?
    Cringe worthy is Batman yelling "why you saaaid that nameeeeee" like a bumbling idiot to the audience with everyone laughing at the world`s greatest detective. Yes, sir, there are more people named Martha other than your deceased mother.

    Groot speaks in 3 word sentences with Rocket being the one understanding him because it`s alien and because it`s physical comedy.

    That you enjoy one over the other is fine, taste is subjective. But one works within the logic of the film and the other just makes a character who is supposed to be smart acting like he`s Jeckyl on Meth for no reason just so you could extend that wonderful "Dark Knight Returns" sequence being done, which looks obvious is what Snyder was interested the most.

    Quote Originally Posted by Selina View Post
    the racoon was forgettable.

    GOTG is one of the worst comic films I have ever seen in my life.
    Catwoman.
    Last edited by Aioros22; 02-07-2017 at 11:13 AM.

  11. #26
    Rookie Member JamesC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Gorleston-on-Sea, England
    Posts
    60

    Default

    There's a difference between not liking a film and a film being badly made (for example, I really don't like Goodfellas but there's no way I'd claim that it's rubbish or that it 'sucks' ).
    GOTG is a very skilfully made film which successfully introduces multiple memorable characters, builds a believable world for them to inhabit, contains a perfectly serviceable magufin-centric plot and also ties in with Marvel's ongoing strategy. It definitely gets more right than it gets wrong.

  12. #27
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,132

    Default

    That`s where I`m getting at. I`m fine with people not liking GOTG or even prefering BvS to it. But if you nail down the technical issues of both, one gets more wrong things than the other.

  13. #28
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,132

    Default

    Main example of mine. I love the Phantom movie (1996). I think Billy Zane absolutely looks the part. I love that he builk up a whole year prior filming so he wouldn`t use rubber abs and so (and frankly, without those he looks every bit as big as most Batmen have, maybe expecting Fleck wich still does use a builky armour costume). I like that it`s not grim and dark but you have the main hero having allucinations of his deceased father (like most Phantoms do, they talk with their ancestors). I freaking love the asthetic of the movie and the background choices. I think Zeta Jones nails it as a good hearted Femme Fatale.

    But I can`t deny that some issues are big. I can`t deny that the overall plot is cliché and weak with all the Indiana Jones/Batman movies having been made. I can`t deny that the main villain is campy as fvck (I do enjoy his snark but there`s nothing cachy about him). I can`t deny that the plot using magical skulls feels like a leftover from a Jones pitch (despite having done it in comics before Jones, but as a film the perception needs to be freshier because new audiences) and so on.

    I don`t feel the bad or meh outweights the good but it does bring down the lack of novelty or "punch" to grab people with something new that Batman, Jones and the Shadow haven`t already done.

    Lastly there`s a few plot inconsistancies in the writing.

    I love it. It`s more dear to me than Burtons Batman. But is it the better movie? Can`t say it is and I hope we get to see a Phantom movie doing exactly that at least.

  14. #29
    all cops are bastards Elmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sesame Street
    Posts
    2,164

    Default

    The movie is absolutely wonderful. It honors the comic book lore and is filled with Easter eggs and references that only people who read the comics will understand. Also, Superman fans will really dig the film as well as the big threat of the film comes from something from Superman's mythology, it was absolutely wild to be seeing what I was seeing on screen since Batman and Superman's mythologies don't always mesh well on screen (and that is not a BvS reference as I loved BvS, I mean you don't always see Batman fighting Superman's villains or using tools/devices from Superman's mythology) .

    Robin is golden age Dick Grayson and I couldn't be happier. They got that character down perfect.

    Not sure at all what Barbara Gordon was. I understand the need to have a strong female lead character and putting her in the role of Police commissioner worked well enough to do that but it was hard to determine if she was a love interest or "platonic coworker." Also what ethnicity was she and Jim? They both have darker skin but the same hair as their comic counterparts it threw me off.

    The way they poked fun at the Joker and Batman rivalry/relationship (yes, relationship) was absolutely perfect. The entire movie is based on Batman stereotypes and is filled with meta jokes about BatGod and other Bat tropes. It was really fun to see because not all movies can be so self aware and excellent at the same time.

    If you're a fan of Batman, Superman, DC, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Doctor Who, Gremlins, and King Kong, this is the perfect movie for you. So pure and filled with heart. It really pushes the point that Batman is NOT the brooding dark figure who works alone, he's the brooding dark figure surrounded by kids who works with a team (or rather a family) to get things done. That's what Batman is and who he is.
    i'm always online and i'm nice on there

  15. #30
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    http://tinyurl.com/haad5pl
    Posts
    3,274

    Default

    3,5/5

    Really good.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •