Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

I just finished Claremont's brief stint on Wolverine's first ongoing. I have to say it's not his best work, but it's still pretty enjoyable. I didn't like the second arc as much as the first, but there were some highlights.
    Karma got to play a pretty key role in the book, Lindsay and Jessica continued as supporting characters, and the whole subworld of Madripoor was better explored.
    Hulk (as Mr Fixit) guest-starred, which contributed to some of the best moments of the series so far. Logan is usually the more serious character whenever he teams up with someone, but Mr. Fixit brought a fun side to Logan's personality that's not explored so much. He basically spent an entire issue trolling Fixit and tricking him to do what he wanted.
    Issue #10, the last of Claremont's run, is one of my favorites so far. It's set on Logan's birthday, as his memories from the day Sabretooth killed Silver Fox come back to haunt him (does anybody know in which series she died?). I love the Wolverine/Sabretooth rivalry, so this was a lot of fun. Claremont also set up Jessica and Lindsay's future role on the series, but I'm not sure how this was handled after he left. The book only had a steady creative team again when Hama took over at #31 ( I think). Everything seems to point to the fact Claremont planned to stay longer, he didn't wrap a lot of the plotlines he started.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Spun Sorceress View Post

Weird faces again; noses, eyes, and lips! The muscles! His anatomy! All wrong! That puffy, flowing hair?! How does it stay up? Teeth?! ��
    So many linessss. I could get lost in just looking at all those lines. Which, is not a bad thing at all. You're forced to look at them, or you can look away, and miss all those lines.
    All those lines clearly mean motion. <3
    I'm glad you posted about his art because it made me get those first 7 issues of X-Force, which I cannot wait for them to get here.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

He only does art for the first 9 issues basically and plots up until #12.

But he did the last 15 or so issues of The New Mutants, so it's basically the first part of "the run"; which a lot of people seem to retroactively hate now, so if you like it, don't let them shame you for doing so.

With no Weezie, the writing suffers and I do not really like everything that changed in the Marvel universe around that time 90 - 92, but I admire the energy of Liefeld's art on those particular books. There is an element of punk rock subversiveness to it; invading the mainstream. A real middle finger to the still conservative world of superhero comics, perhaps now more than ever. There are others out there who think along the same "lines". 😸
    I will see what I can find.
    🐲🐉🐙 <-----because they are cute.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Oh, I know I have bad taste. You don't have to remind me.

Hmm. Steranko was borrowing from the art world outside of comics (pop art) and Miller seemed influenced by manga. So if Liefeld was borrowing from the Dutch art scene (De Stijl) and influenced by manga; he's still crap, right?

Akira Toriyama can't draw feet! Those muscles! His anatomy is wrong! Look at how weird his faces are; those eyes, noses and lips! How is their hair standing up like that? Teeth!?

Weird faces again; noses, eyes, and lips! The muscles! His anatomy! All wrong! That puffy, flowing hair?! How does it stay up? Teeth?!
    Lolololol! Awright, awright, I give up!

First of all, I think Liefeld loves comics and he's highly enthusiastic. That's good and laudable. I think that he follows awesome models, as Miller, Adams and Silvestri. That's good and laudable, too. I think that every artist has always emulated other artists. That's inevitable, logical...and good! I opened a thread in which we talk about it.

My issue with Liefeld is that I think he's not enough skilled, but

There is an element of punk rock subversiveness to it; invading the mainstream. A real middle finger to the still conservative world of superhero comics, perhaps now more than ever.
    You're right in that sense: punk art, meaning "I don't give a damn if I'm qualified or not, I'm gonna do it anyway" (that was the principle of underground comic). And more like heavy metal art, though, regarding the visual results. Which were astonishing successful, on the other hand.

RE: MANGA. You hit the nail. I read plenty of manga, I love some and I'm not too interested in other. Unfortunately, Toriyama is not precisely my cup of tea, neither Dragon Ball --designs and plots are far away from my fondness. As I said before, it's mainly a matter of taste. So I won't dwell on this, you've got all the right to enjoy Liefeld --in fact, I'm afraid that makes a more boring person out of me ;-) !

But he did the last 15 or so issues of The New Mutants, so it's basically the first part of "the run"; which a lot of people seem to retroactively hate now, so if you like it, don't let them shame you for doing so.
    I promise I won't . I don't wanna be a dweeb snob.

The other day I was reading UXM either #235 or #236, whichever of those Leonardi did the art on, and I remember looking at his art (because he is one of my faves on X-Men) and thinking that his feet, while his characters were in motion, looked very similar to Liefeld's feet, at times.
    And that is the number one thing that I hear people insult Liefeld for: his lack of feet.
    I can put up scans later (if I remember. lol).
    It's not quite as consistent, I don't think, as Liefeld's small feet, but I noticed it, for sure.

Yeah, those rhomboid feet, seen in perspective, are very common in this genre of comics. I'm not sure who did it for the first time, but they're usual in the art of Adams, Silvestri, Leonardi, the Kubert Bros., Lee, Liefeld...that is, most of artists from late 80's-whole 90's. It's a cool resource --if you don't overuse it, which is hard to resist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    Yeah, those rhomboid feet, seen in perspective, are very common in this genre of comics. I'm not sure who did it for the first time, but they're usual in the art of Adams, Silvestri, Leonardi, the Kubert Bros., Lee, Liefeld...that is, most of artists from late 80's-whole 90's. It's a cool resource --if you don't overuse it, which is hard to resist.
    Thanks for bumping this because I totally got so busy with work yesterday that I forgot scans. lol.

Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix: Wonderful. The way techno organic virus was drawn on Nathan, it was truly horrific. Kudos to the artist.

Further Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix: It's okay. But I hated the art, it was really hard to understand what was going on in many panels. Ending was nice.

In order to make up the connection between Earth-616 and Mojoverse*, I've re-read the Shattershot event (X-Men Annual #1, UXM Annual #16, X-Factor Annual #7, X-Force Annual #1). Decent writing by Nicieza, although there's scarcely nothing going on (a very stretched hide-and-run by Arize) except for the revelation that Ricochet Rita and Spiral are the same person.

Many artists implied. It's pretty interesting the first part, in which Jim Lee did every sketch but his work was finished by a lot of different artists each one with his own style. It's quite difficult, but if you pay attention you can appreciate how Lee's page framing and figures show under the other's lines. Even so, qualities are very different for each artist: IMO, P. Craig Russell and Stuart Immonen are overtly superior.

The third part is clearly the best: there's no Peter David, but still X-Factor, and Joe Quesada in his peak. Plus, it's the issue in which Arize and Spiral explain what's happening.

*I'm trying to sketch a diagram including both dimensional lines and their regular links, time travels, bidirectional jumps --it's like hell, I can tell.
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 02-17-2017 at 04:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix: Wonderful. The way techno organic virus was drawn on Nathan, it was truly horrific. Kudos to the artist.

Further Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix: It's okay. But I hated the art, it was really hard to understand what was going on in many panels. Ending was nice.
    I've always wanted to read that first mini. Where does it fit in X-men continuity? I'm reading the post-Inferno era.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    In order to make up the connection between Earth-616 and Mojoverse*, I've re-read the Shattershot event (X-Men Annual #1, UXM Annual #16, X-Factor Annual #7, X-Force Annual #1). Decent writing by Nicieza, although there's scarcely nothing going on (a very stretched hide-and-run by Arize) except for the revelation that Ricochet Rita and Spiral are the same person.

Many artists implied. It's pretty interesting the first part, in which Jim Lee did every sketch but his work was finished by a lot of different artists each one with his own style. It's quite difficult, but if you pay attention you can appreciate how Lee's page framing and figures show under the other's lines. Even so, qualities are very different for each artist: IMO, P. Craig Russell and Stuart Immonen are overtly superior.

The third part is clearly the best: there's no Peter David, but still X-Factor, and Joe Quesada in his peak. Plus, it's the issue in which Arize and Spiral explain what's happening.

*I'm trying to sketch a diagram including both dimensional lines and their regular links, time travels, bidirectional jumps --it's like hell, I can tell.
    I read this crossover when I was like 12, ten yeras ago. I barely remember anything, but I've always had a soft spot for all the Mojoworld stories. It will be cool reading these again when I finally catch up

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I read this crossover when I was like 12, ten yeras ago. I barely remember anything, but I've always had a soft spot for all the Mojoworld stories. It will be cool reading these again when I finally catch up
    Quicksilver has (one more time) the best quote: 'Sustenance is not frivolous'

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I've always wanted to read that first mini. Where does it fit in X-men continuity? I'm reading the post-Inferno era.
    I believe it takes place immediately after their wedding. They are supposed to be on their honeymoon.

I stopped buying X-men and every comic book completely for that matter. I am waiting for the Resurrection titles to start and I will start collecting again (digitally this time) and see where the stories go. Especially looking forward to finally reading solo series from Jean Grey, Iceman, in addition to Blue and Gold. Can't wait!

BANNED

I am looking at the Soul Skinner Trade which covers X-Men 17-24. The writing is absolutely gorgeous as is the art work.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I feel like every single solo series that has starred Laura has been about her trying to "gain her humanity." Even a lot of the focus on her in the team X-books is directed in this manner. I'm personally ready for her to get past this stage already and move on to something new. I think Liu did the best job of with this out line and I miss her on the title, I think she could have evolved Laura even more than she did.
    I don't mean gain her humanity. I mean growing out of her shell and coming into her own. She'll always have a tendency to being serious and quiet because she's an introvert. But now she understands that she has a choice in her life and doesn't have to become the Elektra 2.0 or allow herself to spiral into self destruction out of shame and guilt. One of the reasons I don't like ANW apart from the writing. Is that Laura spent years being treated and called and animal. The books with Yost/Kyle and Liue showed that she wanted to get away from being defined as that person. So for Taylor to just reduce her into one dimensional psycho/hater bitch who flies off the handle and is always looking for a fight is just wrong.

Legacy legion lol been waiting to finish it and it was on sale.