Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Default What X-Comics Have You Been Reading Lately?

Inspired by the thread What Spider-Man Comics Have You Been Reading Lately?!?.

Simple enough, tell about the x-comics that you have been reading recently, apart from the current books. Because current books are going to have threads dedicated to them, others... not so much.

Read Dark Phoenix Saga, Days of Future Past and other classic stories and wanna tell how awesome it was? This is the place. Read Schism, AvX and other trash and wanna vent about it? This is the place. Read Claremont and think he's overrated? This is the place to discuss that.

Any X-comic, whether team book, solo, alternate universe or anything to discuss, this is the place for it.

Since I started this thread, I'll start.

I'm going to start reading Messiah Complex very soon.

I've been revisiting New Mutants and the Academy X books (along with Avengers Academy) in preparation for a young superhero RPG.

BANNED

X Cutioner's Song and X men #87..Rogue was at her best when she almost knocked Wolverine out for trying to attack Magneto...one of the funniest things I've ever read.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

All of a sudden, I strongly wanted to re-read the first TNM issues. I usually skipped them because they're so burned out, I virtually know them by memory --I started from #1, though, and I wasn't disappointed at all. I still love McLeod storytelling, despite his designs are so retro. And I think the way CC used Dani as a subterfuge to introduce the new reader into X-Universe was very smart.

I stopped around #10, because the New Roma run hasn't got much appeal to me and because (please forgive me) I can't stand Sal Buscema without McLeod inking, much worse with Mandrake's inking. But I've got to calmly revisit the Hellions run, which is awesome (Kitty! Magik! White Queen!).

Also, I've had a glance at X-Factor Investigations, but very quickly. I would like to read it again from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post

I'm going to start reading Messiah Complex very soon.
    I adore Messiah Complex, just waiting on the trade to slide through my letterbox. Any day now...

But I've been reading the rest of Astonishing X-Men (post-Whedon) going into X-Treme X-Men, Age of Apocalypse (the UXF spin-off) and X-Termination. I'd heard good things about Liu's run, but really wasn't impressed until the issues after X-Termination (which I actually found really enjoyable). It was interesting to see Cyclops in revolution gear on a tv screen in the background, as what Iceman did definitely felt worse than Cyclops' actions, yet he was welcomed back to the X-Men instantaneously.
    Reading through this has given me somewhat of a revelation, I think. I don't like Karma. I've been reading her for a long time now (New Mutants and then plenty of her sporadic appearances afterwards) and something's always felt off, but I never felt committed enough to say I didn't like the character. I could blame the writer, her role in the story or whatever shaped my off-feeling, but I a now seeing I don't like her. Part of this revelation is perhaps my lack of disappointment in her not being in the NM movie. I really really wish I did like Karma. A gay Vietnamese character is wonderful representation, but I just find her unapologetically boring. I also can't buy her powers having all the potential they're made out to have, as a psychic she seems extraordinarily limited.

Other than that, I found myself immensely enjoying all of Pak's stuff. That initial arc on Astonishing and then X-Treme X-Men was actually really damn good. Really digged the alternate reality stuff and then Dazzler, of course. The interrupting arcs of Way and Gage were fine, I guess. Nothing really special but noted that Monstrous felt very much like a proto-Monsters Unleashed. Also, it's a crime that Armor has fallen to the wayside (so I'm excited to see her pop up in Gold), she always has had a lot of potential.

The Ellis stuff felt largely, if not entirely inconsequential. Using Laurie Collins like that felt beyond tacky, and lord knows how Forge fans must have felt during that time (glad we've moved on from crazy Forge). Age of Apocalypse likewise. By the end of it I did enjoy some of the characters, but man o man does it take it's time getting there. Those first three issues felt like they were gnawing away at my brain, I was so damn bored. Even now there are some characters, on the main cast, who remain as complete non-entities. Think that series was a big misstep, especially considering how much fun the AoA was in UXF (must read all of that again soon).

Next up, I might finally get around to reading the modern day X-Factor. Maybe. But, for some reason, I have a compulsive need to finish off the preceding X-Factor issues. Which isn't a good thing. Because after David leaves, boy is that dull. At the same time both Strong Guy and Multiple Man are dead, so seeing them come back before starting Madrox and X-Factor Vol 3 would give my mind ease. Reading Generation X (completely) is another I want to get around to.

Great thread
    I was catching up on the team books from the 80s right up to Inferno. I had read a lot of UXM and NM issues, but never the whole runs. So now I'm already at #40 of X-factor and finally read the start of Louise Simonson's New Mutants run. Both titles surprised me. I actually skipped Bob Layton's X-factor because the first issue was pretty bad, but Simonson's run has been fun and enjoyable. Even her New Mutants isn't nearly as bad as I expected.
    The ending to the Illyana saga was satisfying in that confusing way only X-books can be. I'm not excited about the upcoming membership changes because it brings NM closer and closer to the X-force days, which I'm not sure I'll like. I liked what I read of John Francis Moore's X-force run, but I've always avoided the Liefeld issues.
    But before I read the post-Inferno runs, I'm catching up on Captain Britain and Excalibur. I was only going to read Excalibur, but there are so many mentions to CB's solo stories in the early issues that I decided to give them a try. I'm really glad I did, I've already finished Moore's run (which was great once the Mad Jim Jaspers story really got going) and now I'm midway through Delano's. The stories are pretty short because they used to be published in an anthology, so I'll probably finish them soon
    After the first Excalibur arc, I plan on reading the first Wolverine mini and then the first few arcs of his first ongoing. Are these any good? The first six or seven issues are by Claremont and then PAD takes over, but I've only ever heard great things about Hama's run.

That's Fallen Angels #6.

I wish this would have been longer than 8 issues. It's probably the best mini I have ever read. It is sooo much fun.
    And it's really made me love Warlock. I posted this in the New Mutants thread, but I'll put it here, too. He turned himself into a Dandelion.

This has Sunspot, Warlock, Boom Boom, Vanisher, Siryn, Madrox, Devil Dinosaur and Moonboy, and a few characters new to me.

It also has two cyborg lobsters in it, one is a mutant (at least in appearance).
    I don't want to talk about it too much in case there is a small chance that someone else has not read it yet.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

I am getting ready to start this:

I, personally, have loved this series from the first issue. And the Simonsons are a fantastic team on this book.

I am moving my way through the Dazzler solo, too.
    The next issue is #4:

And I'm working my way through UXM Outback Era. But I'm slowing down on that because I'm buying the individual issues, and some of those can cost a little bit more than issues from other series that I am buying. Like, you won't find that stuff in the 25 cent boxes at your local shop.

I'm also going to start Ann Nocenti's Daredevil run soon. I just received the first 10 issues of it.
    But my main focus right now is X-Men stuff.

To fill the Gambit void in my life... I recently got the Complete Collection volume #1 that contains his solo by Nicieza. I'm really loving it so far.

Ultimate X-Men (first time) and X-Force vol.1.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Oh, I've also recently purchased and re-read (I previously did it by personal lending and library loan) Milligan & Allred's X-Force and X-Statix, and they're so great!!! X-Statix a bit less amazing, but it's difficult to be so amazing all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I was only going to read Excalibur, but there are so many mentions to CB's solo stories in the early issues that I decided to give them a try. I'm really glad I did, I've already finished Moore's run (which was great once the Mad Jim Jaspers story really got going) and now I'm midway through Delano's.
    I'm so glad there's now a new fan of Marvel UK Captain Britain! Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    Ultimate X-Men (first time) and X-Force vol.1.
    Very good series until Kirkman took over in issue 66. I should really read that run again.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    To fill the Gambit void in my life... I recently got the Complete Collection volume #1 that contains his solo by Nicieza. I'm really loving it so far.

That Gambit solo run was brilliant!
    Might have to dig it out and re-read it now.
    Trying to catch up on 2 years of Marvel comics.....
    Comic Book Parody - Funny comic book stuff.
    X-Men: Drama of the Atom - An unfinished Battle of the Atom parody.