Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills Graphic Novel
    I always wondered how the book would have turned out if Brent Anderson would have become the regular artist in the late '80s.
    X-Men_God_Loves_Man_Kills_cover.jpg

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills Graphic Novel
    I always wondered how the book would have turned out if Brent Anderson would have become the regular artist in the late '80s.
    X-Men_God_Loves_Man_Kills_cover.jpg
    Classic among classics . I remember perfectly well the first time I read it, right after buying it in a book fair, laying on the grass. I used it as reading matter in a book club, too.

I think the title would have been more adult-oriented and less fantastic if Anderson were on board. Not sure if this would have been good or bad. Anyway, his work in this graphic novel is awesome, mainly with direct colouring by great Steve Oliff (well-known thanks to The Sandman).

Just got my Alpha Flight omnibus, so I'm revisiting a lot of the early meet-ups between the teams.

I finally read New Mutants #74-76 and UXM #244-245.
    While I'm enjoying Simonson's NM more than I thought I would, I'm not a fan of all the membership changes. In these issues, the X-terminators finally join the New Mutants (kind of the other way around, because the NM are the ones who move to X-factor and X-terminators' ship). I do love Boom-Boom, Skids and co, but I think they worked well as part of X-factor's supporting cast. I'll have to keep reading to see if that changes, but all the original New Mutants leaving the team really signals the end of what I consider "classic" New Mutants. I know Moonstar is the next one to leave and when that happens, this book will have decidedly moved to pre-"X-force" and no longer feel like New Mutants. It's kind of crazy how in 20 issues, Karma, Cypher, Magma and Illyana (and Magneto!) were written off in favor of other characters.
    About Magneto, I'm sad this seems to end his "good-guy" phase for now. I loved him as the NM's mentor, but I'm not sure Simonson explored it to its full potential. During her whole run, he was just there to be disobeyed, so when they finally leave the school, I honestly was already over that whole plot point.

As for UXM, those issues were pretty fun. I LOVED #244. The X-women are always the best part of any X-men run, so to have an issue focusing just on their interactions was great. And it was Jubilee's first appearance! And drawn by Silvestri! Dazzler in her best phase, IMO.
    Can't say I loved #245 as much, especially because of the art, but the story was fun. The ending with Tessa was surprising. I'm glad I read those New Mutants issues first.

Next I'll probably read the Atlantis Attack annuals. Not sure what to expect.

Just finished X-Cutioner's Song.. despite some iffy reviews, I really enjoyed it. Moving on to Fatal Attractions today!

I'm rereading Age of Apocalypse.

I haven't read these books since I was a kid (like 20 years ago).

BANNED

Lol. I'm older than you. I'm 36. I was a teenager when Age of Apocalypse and Onslaught came around in the mid 1990s.

Some stuff I missed out on though such as Gambit and the Externals. Was that supposed to be the Age of Apocalypse version of Excalibur?

The ending to the Outback era has been pretty great. Deathstrike and the Reavers are awesome and menacing enough, the decision to go through the Siege Perilous doesn't feel forced.
    It's sad to see this team end, the Outback era was so crazy and eventful that I don't think it ever became status quo, like the mansion years before it. Members came and gone and changes really happened.

I find it ironic and tragic how Psylocke was the one permanently affected by her choice to send her teammates and herself through the portal.
    I'm a fan of the Lady Mandarin story and her transformation was pretty well written, but I wish it wasn't permanent. It's crazy how so many years later, after so many changes to so many characters, she's still in her Asian body.

I'm currently reading the original UXM. I actually don't think they are that bad, apart from regularly cringing at the way that they refer to and act around Jean Grey :P
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Received the Realm of Kings Omnibus in the post the other day.
    May end up reading both it and the War of Kings Omnibus for the next few weeks.
    (Not really an X-Comics but there's X-Men in it)
    Trying to catch up on 2 years of Marvel comics.....
    Comic Book Parody - Funny comic book stuff.
    X-Men: Drama of the Atom - An unfinished Battle of the Atom parody.

Reread the original Proteus story last night.

Pure delight, great art, very good story. Not enough Alex, Lorna, Jean action, but I have always loved that time period of stories and when all the X-Men and affiliates get together.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Reread the original Proteus story last night.

Pure delight, great art, very good story. Not enough Alex, Lorna, Jean action, but I have always loved that time period of stories and when all the X-Men and affiliates get together.
    I read that recently, too. Loved it, but I don't know why Polaris didn't play a bigger role in Proteus' defeat given her powers and his weakness to metal.

I agree Factor!

Plus, he nearly possessed Lorna, which would have killed her if he did. Lorna was able to get away with a magnetic pulse, so she could have hurt him. I would have thought Lorna would have wanted to get him.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    I'm rereading Age of Apocalypse.

I haven't read these books since I was a kid (like 20 years ago).
    I just picked up the 4th 'Complete Epic' book the other day and was finally able to finish it. Really enjoyed it

Amazing Member

Lately I've been re-reading the outback era...good stuff. A few years ago, I read this arc online, through my Marvel Unlimited subscription. Lately I've been picking up the back issues. I remember my MU service glitching up a bit, so some of those issues I haven't been able to read until now.