Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Default A notable upcoming Superman guest appearance

WONDER WOMAN ANNUAL #1
    Written by GREG RUCKA and others—Art by NICOLA SCOTT, LIAM SHARP and others—Cover by NICOLA SCOTT
    Includes a code for a free digital download of this issue.
    The world of the Amazing Amazon expands in a collection of short stories that take Wonder Woman around the globe! In the days after “Year One,” Diana comes face-to-face with Superman and Batman for the first time, as illustrated by “Year One” artist Nicola Scott…and years later, Liam Sharp brings you the story of how their friendship has evolved!
    On sale MAY 31 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T

Aside from Greg Rucka writing Superman again (we'll also see Steve Orlando's take in Supergirl soon, and sometime coming up in Batman by Tom King - his guest spots are working out for him well lately), this means a couple major things.

1. This means she met them outside the context of the Justice League getting together for the first time. Presumably Justice League: Origin is to some extent out of continuity now, which also means:

2. This'll be the post-Reborn Superman. Along with getting more of an insight into his background, we'll see what costume he wore in his early days if we don't already in Reborn Aftermath.

3. Speaking of his costume, it has the shorter neckline, no seams and no cuffs, meaning it's either the Reborn costume or the real suit. This further indicates that the images on the first cover of Reborn Aftermath from throughout his career are symbolic rather than literal flashbacks.

4. Presumably then, Wonder Woman: Year One already takes place in the post-Reborn status quo. That it's framed as the 'hidden truth' of the world only further establishes that whatever Superman we're going to get out of this is the 'true'/'valid' one of the current universe, rather than Mr. El or the New 52 guy. Really, we can probably take it as a look as to what the background of the DCU in general is going to look like in 2018, after whatever is restored from the previous timeline is officially restored across the board.
    Buh-bye

This particular tale should have been given to Manapul in a Trinity Annual. It'll be interesting to find out but I'm not too keen on Rucka having the honor.

As for the suit, its a toss-up at this point. While I could see them keeping the original trunks look in canon, like is the status quo right now, on the other hand I could just as easily see them saying screw it and removing them altogether and going with the Reborn costume as the one and only. I don't really care either way.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-10-2017 at 08:35 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

was kinda hoping after N52 we seen the end of "retelling how these characters met" type stories but whatever. Great art, particularly young Diana's face.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post

WONDER WOMAN ANNUAL #1
    Written by GREG RUCKA and others—Art by NICOLA SCOTT, LIAM SHARP and others—Cover by NICOLA SCOTT
    Includes a code for a free digital download of this issue.
    The world of the Amazing Amazon expands in a collection of short stories that take Wonder Woman around the globe! In the days after “Year One,” Diana comes face-to-face with Superman and Batman for the first time, as illustrated by “Year One” artist Nicola Scott…and years later, Liam Sharp brings you the story of how their friendship has evolved!
    On sale MAY 31 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T

Aside from Greg Rucka writing Superman again (we'll also see Steve Orlando's take in Supergirl soon, and sometime coming up in Batman by Tom King - his guest spots are working out for him well lately), this means a couple major things.

1. This means she met them outside the context of the Justice League getting together for the first time. Presumably Justice League: Origin is to some extent out of continuity now, which also means:

2. This'll be the post-Reborn Superman. Along with getting more of an insight into his background, we'll see what costume he wore in his early days if we don't already in Reborn Aftermath.

3. Speaking of his costume, it has the shorter neckline, no seams and no cuffs, meaning it's either the Reborn costume or the real suit. This further indicates that the images on the first cover of Reborn Aftermath from throughout his career are symbolic rather than literal flashbacks.

4. Presumably then, Wonder Woman: Year One already takes place in the post-Reborn status quo. That it's framed as the 'hidden truth' of the world only further establishes that whatever Superman we're going to get out of this is the 'true'/'valid' one of the current universe, rather than Mr. El or the New 52 guy. Really, we can probably take it as a look as to what the background of the DCU in general is going to look like in 2018, after whatever is restored from the previous timeline is officially restored across the board.
    Too bad Bruce's uniform here is that horrid Jim Lee New 52 onesie.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

It'd be simpler if it were just the reborn suit. I'd rather it be the classic one in the past. I have a feeling that it might be the one from the Action Comics cover. I ultimately don't care much at all.

Though I really hope more people don't mess up the Reborn costume's belt. Gary Frank already made it look super awkward in one of his pictures.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    It'd be simpler if it were just the reborn suit. I'd rather it be the classic one in the past. I have a feeling that it might be the one from the Action Comics cover. I ultimately don't care much at all.

Though I really hope more people don't mess up the Reborn costume's belt. Gary Frank already made it look super awkward in one of his pictures.

Yes Gary got the belt way to high in the pic that goes with the other 3 covers,but if you look at the pic I posted that he also did,it looks perfect.

I HOPE that it is shown that superman wore the red undies classic suit for the 1st 10 years than found the reborn suit on the ship that nuperman got his at.that way it totally meshes the 2 histories together,not just making it brand new.

BANNED

However this turns out, John's Justice League origin getting the boot is a plus.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    However this turns out, John's Justice League origin getting the boot is a plus.

It.wont get the boot,just play out 10 years earlier,with different mindframes and supersuits

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    It.wont get the boot,just play out 10 years earlier,with different mindframes and supersuits
    I'm hoping that it gets the boot too. Please bring back the League's Silver Age origin, DC!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I'm hoping that it gets the boot too. Please bring back the League's Silver Age origin, DC!

If there is a way to mix them up.so they both happened they should do it

Extraordinary Member

If there is a way to mix them up.so they both happened they should do it
    I think they should just retcon the Pre-Flashpoint history of the League back in, and have all the iterations of the JL as part of canon, and then say that the "New 52" League's formation was the formation of a brand new Justice League after Dick and co. disbanded the previous team right before Flashpoint.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    This particular tale should have been given to Manapul in a Trinity Annual. It'll be interesting to find out but I'm not too keen on Rucka having the honor.
    I'm good with it, on the basis that Rucka is an enormously better writer and this will be an unquestionably better story for it. It's clearly Wonder Woman-centric anyway, so it's not out-of-place (plus, Trinity is already doing its own take on the Reborn aftermath with #8).

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Man View Post
    Too bad Bruce's uniform here is that horrid Jim Lee New 52 onesie.
    Yeah. Makes sense, given Zero Year was popular and will probably be kept in continuity, but in that case I'd rather they have shown his makeshift purple-gloved suit from that story.

Doesn't work; it's a major part of that story that aside from Hal and Barry (and Clark and Bruce retroactively, though they don't remember it at the time), none of these people had met before. Even if they were still formed by Darkseid invading, the majority of the story no longer fits if the trinity already work together. The first two issues are out entirely because Batman and Superman already know each other, and Wonder Woman is a profoundly different figure after Year One so her stuff doesn't work either. The very bare bones could stick around, but the meat of the thing would be so altered that the story itself would now be essentially useless.
    Buh-bye

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I think they should just retcon the Pre-Flashpoint history of the League back in, and have all the iterations of the JL as part of canon, and then say that the "New 52" League's formation was the formation of a brand new Justice League after Dick and co. disbanded the previous team right before Flashpoint.
    You know there was many different JL teams through the years,I mean we have never had cyborg on the team before,so just say "THIS" team got together with new teammates at this time.grant did it back in the day with Howard Porter on art and that team doesn't match up perfectly with the silver age team.

Just say new teammates,and new times,and all the different teams could all be fit into the time frame

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post

Doesn't work; it's a major part of that story that aside from Hal and Barry (and Clark and Bruce retroactively, though they don't remember it at the time), none of these people had met before. Even if they were still formed by Darkseid invading, the majority of the story no longer fits if the trinity already work together. The first two issues are out entirely because Batman and Superman already know each other, and Wonder Woman is a profoundly different figure after Year One so her stuff doesn't work either. The very bare bones could stick around, but the meat of the thing would be so altered that the story itself would now be essentially useless.
    Why do I get the feeling they are gonna do a Superman year one mini series that will explain the new timeline?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    was kinda hoping after N52 we seen the end of "retelling how these characters met" type stories but whatever. Great art, particularly young Diana's face.
    Well, I honestly can't think of any previous dedicated efforts to tell "the first time Wonder Woman met Superman and/or Batman" stories. Well, okay, there's Trinity (which I haven't read for awhile so I don't remember if they were meeting for the first time or if its just another general 'early years' story). So its still relatively uncharted territory.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Why do I get the feeling they are gonna do a Superman year one mini series that will explain the new timeline?
    There is that one issue post-Reborn that will have Clark reflecting on the major events of his life.