Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Superman Returns

I recently found a brand new appreciation for this movie. Don't get me wrong, the story still completely sucks.I hate that he has a kid and I hate it even more that he abandon him and Lois.I am of the camp that believes that he should have a child with Wonder Woman IF he must have a kid. Anyways my appreciation has to do with all of the action scenes. When I first saw it, I was so upset with the story that I didn't fully submerged myself with them. Last week I saw them on youtube and I was numbed as to how great they are..It showed Superman actually being SUPER !! Showed them to my wife and she also swore that she hadn't seen them before (she had when it first came out).Likewise she was blown away.As much as I hated the movie as a whole I am going to go get it just to watch those parts on a big screen for as long as it brings me bliss.

Every time I consider giving this one away to clear up my movie and TV collection, I watch a few scenes and I can't help but keep it. So much potential was there with a proven director, great cast and characters if utilized better this could have been a relaunch of tarnished franchise. But it feels like they took the safe road. At times, you could say they listened to old-time fans who demanded it follow some of the early stories where human Lex would try and disrupt Superman's good intentions towards his adopted planent.

But scenes like this demonstrate how this could have been so much more.

Last edited by Killercroc357; 02-05-2017 at 05:24 AM.

Astonishing Member

My favorite scenes has to be the airplane/baseball field and the throwing the big kryptonite rock into space. I still get chills when watching that.

loved it as well

The special effects were on point so sad that the story wasn't

I keep forgetting this movie exists and I've probably seen it like 3 times. It was that forgettable. Probably still better than BvS though. I wouldn't know, it is already starting to fade from my memory again....
    Last edited by FishyZombie; 02-05-2017 at 06:25 AM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

In terms of him abandoning the kid, keep in mind, that's what Lois wanted. He was respecting her wishes. I think people give this movie a lot more grief than it deserves. She never even told him she had his kid and went out of her way to keep it a secret. There were a lot of flaws with this movie but I would put the deadbeat dad thing on Lois more than him. I got the impression he wants to be a part of his son's life but was simply told to stay away. My favorite scene was when he was in the hospital and the whole world was waiting for him to wake up. You could tell this was a beloved version of Superman that the world respected. A lot better than the feared monster in the current movie universe. But I agree the movie as a whole didn't live up to expectations. Largely because expectations were so high to begin with.
    Assassinate Putin!

I like this movie. My favorite scene is when the son played Heart and Soul piano with the bad guy.

Astonishing Member

Oh I loved that scene as well, SR certainly had its moments and I agree about this Superman being beloved of the whole world, I love that. I haven't warmed up to the feared "monster"s universe just yet. Like this movie, there's so much potential with Henry's Superman but it's being squandered with the not so great movies, two in a row, the latter being worse than the former.

I think that Superman Returns was a terrible idea that wound up being a perfectly good movie that was never, ever going to be popular.

I don't know whether the movie was originally Singer's idea or if he was brought on after the premise was in place, but whoever pitched the movie initially must have done an extraordinary job to convince the powers-that-be that it was a good idea to

1. Make a sequel to the second of four films from twenty-five years earlier and

2. Make it a relationship drama about coming back to town to realize that your ex is over you.

That's like making a sequel to Search For Spock starring Chris Pine about Kirk forming a relationship with David Marcus.

I mean cripes, even in the action scenes Superman's got his head in the clouds, worrying about how Lois feels about him!

And yet, it was a pretty good movie, actually. It was as good of a relationship drama starring Superman as we're ever going to get. It just kind of had no excuse for existing. Even then though, it kind of serves a purpose: it's the movie that guarantees nobody will ever try to make another big budget Superman relationship drama.

I'm still kind of mad that that was our Spacey Luthor film though. Don't get me wrong, he was great in the part, and so was Eisenberg, but Spacey in Dawn of Justice with a less scatterbrained Luthor would have been definitive.

Speaking of definitive, I think Routh's Clark Kent was phenomenal. He nailed the socially awkward, mild-mannered Kent perfectly, he just didn't get to contrast him with a charming, confident Superman like he should have because the script called for a sad, brooding Superman that just seemed like an extension of Clark.

I wish we'd gotten the Tim Burton movie. Oh well.
    Last edited by Adekis; 02-05-2017 at 03:28 PM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Incredible Member

I liked the movie, thought it was better than most people did. Liked Routh and Spacy as Supes and Lex, didn't like Bosworth as Lois or the guy who was Jimmy however.

Incredible Member

This whole deadbeat dad complaint has never held any water. A deadbeat dad is someone who knows full well they have a child, but chooses to take no part in their lives. Superman in this movie had absolutely no idea Jason existed until Jimmy told him at the Daily Planet, and no idea that Jason was actually his son until Lois whispered it to him in the hospital. Then the first thing he does when he wakes from his coma is go to his son's bedside, and the mother of his son, and tell them he'll always be there for them. It perfectly fulfills the arc that began with him returning to Krypton's remains in a desperate search for another like him.

I've always really loved Superman Returns, in spite of its flaws. And having watched it (on TV) again just last night-- Yeah, it's still my favourite Superman movie of my lifetime (born in '89). And that's in spite of Man of Steel-- on paper only-- having just about everything I've wanted from a Superman movie.
    Last edited by titansupes; 02-06-2017 at 02:37 AM.

I knew the project was in trouble the second Singer signed on and heard basic ideas of what he wanted to do. They knew right away*he wanted to do something tied to the Donner movies and they were reporting it on the internet like it was this awesome thing but I knew it was going to be a disaster. I felt like I was in an episode of the Twilight Zone, everyone excited and I'm just sitting there thinking "why am I the only one who knows this is going to suck?"
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    This whole deadbeat dad complaint has never held any water. A deadbeat dad is someone who knows full well they have a child, but chooses to take no part in their lives.
    A deadbeat dad has unprotected sex with a woman and then flies off for years without thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    A deadbeat dad has unprotected sex with a woman and then flies off for years without thinking about it.
    I have to agree.

But also crippling the movie is the villain's big plot and the awful Kryptonite circle jerklike gangbang of Supes