Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default So, Did JLU Just Get Wiped from Continuity?

Remember how JLU supposedly served as the origin of Adam and Alana Strange in the New 52 DCU? Well, in this past week's Death of Hawkman #5, a Green Lantern conjures up a costume for Adam Strange to wear, and then conjures up his classic look, not his New 52 look. To this, Adam responds "this is my old costume." So, Adam now suddenly has a superhero career from before JLU in which he wore his "old costume"? So, does this mean JLU is essentially no longer Adam and Alana's origin stories and they've recanonized Adam's Silver Age past?

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Well, my theory is that with all the time shenanigans in Rebirth heroes are gaining memories from past timelines. Or something like that.

JLU still happened, most people at DC just don't care much about it sadly.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

I think JLU happened to the extent that Adam and Hawkman were part of the Justice League and met each other, and Equinox probably still exists, but beyond that it's probably not as important for the incarnations of the characters that the mini is portraying.

Incredible Member

I'm glad the old continuity is coming back slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxi View Post
    I'm glad the old continuity is coming back slowly.
    But, what about the new readers? This will further confuse them.... Ah who am I kidding? I'm very happy old continuity is creeping back too
    I have no beef with Vegans

It's more of that "loosey-goosey continuity".

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Remember how JLU supposedly served as the origin of Adam and Alana Strange in the New 52 DCU? Well, in this past week's Death of Hawkman #5, a Green Lantern conjures up a costume for Adam Strange to wear, and then conjures up his classic look, not his New 52 look. To this, Adam responds "this is my old costume." So, Adam now suddenly has a superhero career from before JLU in which he wore his "old costume"?
    JLU....good riddance
    So, does this mean JLU is essentially no longer Adam and Alana's origin stories and they've recanonized Adam's Silver Age past?
    essentially yes, that's where everything is heading. I think the DC heroes will remember 52 in like a heroes reborn kinda way. They remember it but they also remember that is was a false reality.
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

Fantastic Member sustainentropy's Avatar

The suit is just another classic element added back into canon alongside elements from the New 52. Which is the ultimate goal of Rebirth, in my opinion.
    Last edited by sustainentropy; 02-05-2017 at 02:17 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sustainentropy View Post
    The suit is just another classic element added back into canon alongside elements from the New 52. Which is the ultimate goal of Rebirth, in my opinion.
    But...its not just an element. Its a direct contradiction of New 52 continuity. The Adam Strange in JLU was brand new to the world of super heroics. As far as that title was concerned, Adam had never had any sort of career as a superhero nor had he worn this:

But, the Adam in Death of Hawkman has. So, JLU apparently is no longer his origin. I think its more than just an element, but looks to be another example of turning the New 52 continuity back into the Pre-Flashpoint continuity or at least just saying that the Pre-Flashpoint adventures of these characters happened before their New 52 debuts.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 02-05-2017 at 07:47 PM.

BANNED

Remember how JLU supposedly served as the origin of Adam and Alana Strange in the New 52 DCU? Well, in this past week's Death of Hawkman #5, a Green Lantern conjures up a costume for Adam Strange to wear, and then conjures up his classic look, not his New 52 look. To this, Adam responds "this is my old costume." So, Adam now suddenly has a superhero career from before JLU in which he wore his "old costume"? So, does this mean JLU is essentially no longer Adam and Alana's origin stories and they've recanonized Adam's Silver Age past?
    Not just the costume, but the Alanna in JLU was from Earth. So clearly they have retconned those changes and made Alanna a Rannian again.

Fantastic Member sustainentropy's Avatar

But...its not just an element. Its a direct contradiction of New 52 continuity. The Adam Strange in JLU was brand new to the world of super heroics. As far as that title was concerned, Adam had never had any sort of career as a superhero nor had he worn this:

But, the Adam in Death of Hawkman has. So, JLU apparently is no longer his origin. I think its more than just an element, but looks to be another example of turning the New 52 continuity back into the Pre-Flashpoint continuity or at least just saying that the Pre-Flashpoint adventures of these characters happened before their New 52 debuts.
    I'd argue that it is just an element, even if his origin is retconned to a more classic interpretation. It's pretty much the same in all books currently; Pre-Flashpoint/Classic elements are returning and co-existing with New 52 elements.

Edit: Just saw Glenn's post. Wow, I didn't notice that. I wasn't a big follower of JLU. It seems they've retconned their origins then, even though Alanna has retained her New 52 look. Interesting.
    Last edited by sustainentropy; 02-05-2017 at 08:27 PM.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    It's more of that "loosey-goosey continuity".
    I would say less loosey-goosey and more wibbly wobbly

No big loss. Not only was JLU a pretty bad comic but Adam Strange's old costume design was way better. Glad it's back.

This is nothing that we didn't already know was going to happen. They're going to meld post-Crisis continuity and New 52 where applicable. Where not, post Crisis overrides. We've known this for some now. What constitutes "applicable"? What they decide is.

I just can't wait for it to be all over and fixed. They should have slated Rebirth to last only one year, not two. I'm not looking forward to a whole other year of wondering what's in and what's out. Let's get it done already. So I'm desperately hoping the world is actually fixed by this summer, and the rest of the story is about them protecting what's been fixed.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-06-2017 at 01:14 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    This is nothing that we didn't already know was going to happen. They're going to meld post-Crisis continuity and New 52 where applicable. Where not, post Crisis overrides. We've known this for some now. What constitutes "applicable"? What they decide is.

I just can't wait for it to be all over and fixed. They should have slated Rebirth to last only one year, not two. I'm not looking forward to a whole other year of wondering what's in and what's out. Let's get it done already. So I'm desperately hoping the world is actually fixed by this summer, and the rest of the story is about them protecting what's been fixed.
    You can hope, but when has DC ever really solidified these sorts of things? Even "History of the DC Universe" was contradicted within a few months of publication.