Page 3 of 104 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    As a fan though I am excited. Jed gave them 6 year deals so he's obviously all in. If this does work out and the team gets on track, Jed needs to vanish.
    This. York needs to prove also that he can get along with Lynch and Shanahan, and allow them the freedom to run the team without interference. i am concerned for them that another losing season (I agree with you about next year) might trigger some kind of stupid gut reaction by York.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

When he was in Oakland he did give up on the team though and just dogged it not long after he arrived. I understand that Oakland was a terrible franchise at the time, but Owens from what I recall never quit on the field.
    We'll see if Moss's antics are held against him in a few years, as next year is his first eligible season. Well, maybe, it depends on whether or not the writers that don't vote him in say why publicly. Until that happens (or he gets in quickly) any discussion about the merits of Moss vs Owens is kind of moot - at least as it pertains to hall voters.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    We'll see if Moss's antics are held against him in a few years, as next year is his first eligible season. Well, maybe, it depends on whether or not the writers that don't vote him in say why publicly. Until that happens (or he gets in quickly) any discussion about the merits of Moss vs Owens is kind of moot - at least as it pertains to hall voters.
    Well if Moss doesn't get in and has to wait a number of seasons ...its ok. He'll get in eventually like Owens will. It just happens. Not every player will get in 1st ballet or even 2nd. Carter had to wait 5 years . And as I posted when he retired he was 2nd to Rice all-time in TD's and Receptions. Next year Tony Gonzalez gets voted on and his numbers are basically 2nd all-time in career receptions (1,325) 5th all-time in career yards (15,127) and 15th in career TD's (111) ...he will be in Carter's position. Will he go in ? He's considered the greatest TE in NFL history. But will he make it in ? No idea.

Coryell has spent years waiting. So Owens getting not voted in 2 years thus far is wild. He'll likely go in the next couple seasons , then Moss will wait or Gonzalez.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Well if Moss doesn't get in and has to wait a number of seasons ...its ok. He'll get in eventually like Owens will. It just happens. Not every player will get in 1st ballet or even 2nd. Carter had to wait 5 years . And as I posted when he retired he was 2nd to Rice all-time in TD's and Receptions. Next year Tony Gonzalez gets voted on and his numbers are basically 2nd all-time in career receptions (1,325) 5th all-time in career yards (15,127) and 15th in career TD's (111) ...he will be in Carter's position. Will he go in ? He's considered the greatest TE in NFL history. But will he make it in ? No idea.

Coryell has spent years waiting. So Owens getting not voted in 2 years thus far is wild. He'll likely go in the next couple seasons , then Moss will wait or Gonzalez.
    Gonzalez will be a first ballot HOF. I have no doubt of this.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    If you are widely considered the very best to ever play your position first ballot becomes much more likely. Unless your position is on special teams, in which case being the best ever at your job merely gives you a chance.
    Dark does not mean deep.

In news that hurts the Denver Broncos , defensive mastermind Wade Phillips has became the new defensive coordinator for the LA Rams. Phillips also will change the Rams to a 3-4 defense this season.

Also today Ryan Fitzpatrick's contract expires today.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Chris Carter when he retired in 2002 , was 2nd all time in TD's and receptions to Jerry Rice. Those figures were surpassed by others of course after his retirement. Carter waited 5 seasons to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.
    I know. I just think that Owens with where he's been (Super Bowl) and what he's done (5 time first team All Pro) his accomplishments are better.

Also, he should have made it in over shooting star players like Warner and Davis. Also Morten Anderson.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

In news that hurts the Denver Broncos , defensive mastermind Wade Phillips has became the new defensive coordinator for the LA Rams. Phillips also will change the Rams to a 3-4 defense this season.
    Did Denver allow him to leave? Because according to NFL rules, a coordinator can't make a lateral move. Unless the Rams gave Wade the 'assistant coach' tag.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I know. I just think that Owens with where he's been (Super Bowl) and what he's done (5 time first team All Pro) his accomplishments are better.

Also, he should have made it in over shooting star players like Warner and Davis. Also Morten Anderson.
    Kurt Warner had two things going for him. First is that he's a quarterback - Second is that he was the very first QB to lead two separate teams to the Superbowl (later outdone by Peyton Manning who actually won with two teams).
    Dark does not mean deep.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    He damn sure ought to be, but who knows what will happen with these voters.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Kurt Warner had two things going for him. First is that he's a quarterback - Second is that he was the very first QB to lead two separate teams to the Superbowl (later outdone by Peyton Manning who actually won with two teams).
    That isn't really a strong argument for his inclusion for me. From 2002 to 2006 Warner was terrible. That's five seasons where he was playing lackluster football. He was benched for Marc Bulger, then for Eli Manning, and was at a point in his career where he was fighting with Matt Leinart for a starting job. He had three great seasons, then five bad ones, and then three great ones again. I just think that long stretch in the middle of his career where he was just doing nothing noteworthy is a big red flag. Warner was one of my favorite players when he was in the league and was rolling. He just wouldn't get my vote for the HOF.
    Last edited by HowitzerJoe; 02-11-2017 at 05:11 AM.

That isn't really a strong argument for his inclusion for me. From 2002 to 2006 Warner was terrible. That's five seasons where he was playing lackluster football. He was benched for Marc Bulger, then for Eli Manning, and was at a point in his career where he was fighting with Matt Leinart for a starting job. He had three great seasons, then five bad ones, and then three great ones again. I just think that long stretch in the middle of his career where he was just doing nothing noteworthy is a big red flag. Warner was one of my favorite players when he was in the league and was rolling. He just wouldn't get my vote for the HOF.
    Warner struggled for 2 seasons (2002-2003) and was replaced by Bulger. But he out played Eli Manning and had the Giants at 5-4 going halfway through the season of 2004. The Giants wanted Manning to start , so after losing 2 straight games , decided to start the rookie. Warner went to Arizona and for the next 5 seasons was the starting QB.

Also what was amazing about Warner was he didn't become a NFL starting QB til 28. He had bounced around the AFL awhile til finally becoming the starting QB of the Rams in 1999. He had 2 seasons of struggle , but the Hall of Fame went on what he did for basically 10 seasons. Had he gotten 6-7 more seasons of starting , maybe he would have put up more numbers and all.

Warner struggled for 2 seasons (2002-2003) and was replaced by Bulger. But he out played Eli Manning and had the Giants at 5-4 going halfway through the season of 2004. The Giants wanted Manning to start , so after losing 2 straight games , decided to start the rookie. Warner went to Arizona and for the next 5 seasons was the starting QB.
    Yeah I know he was benched when the Giants were at 5-4, and while I didn't agree with it as an outsider at the time...there is a reason why he was benched. He wasn't playing that well. He just wasn't the same player he was from 1999-2001. And that would remain the same until he picked it back up around 2007. Circumstance aside though, you have five straight years of lackluster football in the prime of his career. Regardless of the reasons that's a huge hole. Zero All Pros and zero Pro Bowls in that span.

And Warner wasn't the starting quarterback for the next five seasons in Arizona. There is a reason why Leinart was drafted a year after Warner was already in Arizona. He got benched four games into the 2006 season because of lackluster play and Leinart got his chance. Like I said before he was at a point in his career where he was fighting with Leinart for the starting job. He didn't get it back until after Leinart got hurt in 2007 (Leinart entered the year as the starter). His first couple of seasons in Arizona he did nothing noteworthy. I mean, do I really need to post the numbers? Because he certainly didn't have ten quality seasons of QB play. He had six.
    Last edited by HowitzerJoe; 02-11-2017 at 10:45 PM.

The Vikings released guards , Brandon Fusco and Mike Harris today. The team was expected to make changes to the offensive line as they only averaged 3.2 yards per carry this season. Sam Bradford was also sacked 37 times as well.