Default Best Marvel Cover Art?

Hey guys, I just bought a bunch of comics online and I'm so proud of my haul I wanted to share the riches. I collect only for the cover art. I'm a long time reader, but I recently started collecting with an eye for graphics. Let me know what you think of my collection, and what your favorite Marvel covers are. My requirements are 1) visceral imagery, bold colors and simple designs. Thanks, happy collecting! https://youtu.be/24cBbfDE5_Y

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Hello rppaperchaser...yes, interesting idea, just collecting for the cover art! A little light switched on in my mind reading your post here...I was almost there but not quite...

I continue to enjoy reading comics, and I'm a collector....I have an eye for the artwork both inside the comic and the cover, and I have been buying second copies of certain issues because of the covers but have thought of them more as "collector copies" rather than "display copies".

I watched your vid: on Wonder Woman you show a Chiang cover...I was not a fan of his work but #1 of that run (WW in mid air with spears flying at her) was quite iconic I thought...I'm reminded that years ago on WW there were some great covers by Brian Bolland ( bold colourful striking stuff) and by Adam Hughes...although AH was more into the "cheesecake territory...and of course there were plenty of great George Perez covers...speaking of WW, I just made a point of buying the variant cover of the very latest issue (#15), it's by Jenny Frison, and shows Diana looking into a cracked mirror..very beautifully I might add!

I did like also your copy of comic with the gorilla and the gun in the library, and those DC horrors, House of Mystery and Unexpected (like the one you show) had some great covers too.

I like the way you mention that collectors will have many boxes but your way of collecting based on covers will be more manageable...ha ha that will only be so far mate!

Because of course you'll know, there are so many great covers out there to be had...

I'm a Spidey fan and always loved John Romita (Snr), and many of his covers for Amazing Spider-Man are classics...by I want t mention the here and now...I reckon it's a good time for cover artwork at the moment with the trend for variant covers again..(yes it's a rip-off too, for readers/collectors...but if you're only interested in a cover....?)....but even without variants, I'm enjoying the current run of Amazing Spider-Man and all the covers are by Alex Ross..cover artist extraordinaire! So I've been buying second copies..issue #17 with lady Electro was great, and #19, Spidey in the graveyard..plus others in the run, earlier...

Most people on here are savvy to finding and posting jpgs (I'm not so) so I expect your post will lead to plenty of covers posted for your consideration and people will enjoy this thread inviting that.

I reckon I'm going to get more backing boards and seal up certain issues like you have, like ready made hanging pictures!

Cheers

Jon

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

You might want to check out the Marvel's Greatest Covers thread on the community forums and the Weekly covers contest also.

The current contest theme is Shark week
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 02-06-2017 at 09:36 AM.

Oh yes, thanks for the reminder Iron Maiden, I've looked at that before and lost sight of it...it's fantastic, great stuff posted on there...food for thought...

Jon

The contest is a lot of fun and it can be pretty challenging too.

I love David Aja's covers. He also does some excellent inside work, but the covers are truly remarkable.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Categor...a/Cover_Artist

Googling Steranko and SHIELD isn't a bad thing either.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I love David Aja's covers. He also does some excellent inside work, but the covers are truly remarkable.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Categor...a/Cover_Artist

Googling Steranko and SHIELD isn't a bad thing either.
    I really like Aja's Scarlet Witch covers too. WeLoveFine has a nice selection of his covers being used on their line of Womens T-Shirts. I'm probably going to order one or two of those.

Dave Johnson is one of my favorite cover artists...

This is probably my favourite cover of recent years.. Amazing Spider-Man #671
    mycomix.online is a user generated database
    Catalogue your comic book collection quickly and easily
    Submit comic books to the database and help grow the catalogue

I've loved pretty much all of Mike Del Mundo's covers (The Vision, Weirdworld, X-Men Legacy, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by mycomix.online View Post
    This is probably my favourite cover of recent years.. Amazing Spider-Man #671
    Good choice M, that is a lovely one!

Reminds me, I was so pissed off (still am) about One Moment in Time that I actually stopped buying ASM after years of doing so, and I still have a gap from around #645 to #670 and then wham! #671 arrives with that cover and drew me back in!

Cheers

Jon