Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Are there any DC characters that you have or have no forgiven for their actions?

I was inspired by another thread somewhere, and it got me thinking about this. A lot of characters have done things in the last decade or so that we haven't liked. However, with the passage of time, we can become forgiving.

So, who has pissed you off in recent memory in the DC universe, and have you, or can you, forgive them?

I can not, nor will I ever, forgive Max Lord for murdering Ted Kord in cold blood, after destroying him and his company.

And then, after being resurrected by the "White Light," destroying his memory.

Quote Originally Posted by KoriandrJean View Post
    I can not, nor will I ever, forgive Max Lord for murdering Ted Kord in cold blood, after destroying him and his company.

And then, after being resurrected by the "White Light," destroying his memory.
    Same here.

Most of the other things that have pissed me off I can attribute to writer/editorial decisions and warm up to the character again later in a different context. But Max Lord... I haven't yet been able to divorce the character from that series of upsetting editorial choices.

As I posted in a similar Marvel thread,
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Why blame characters?

Isn't it the lame writers who are at fault for these bozo developments?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Quote Originally Posted by sanderling View Post
    . . . Most of the other things that have pissed me off I can attribute to writer/editorial decisions and warm up to the character again later in a different context. But Max Lord... I haven't yet been able to divorce the character from that series of upsetting editorial choices.
    Okay, that I can accept.

Still mixed with Wonder Woman killing Max Lord in cold blood when I think could've been another solution but seems like a moot point with the whole New 52 thing.

Aquaman and Tempest almost destroying Metropolis that time in Superman in which he seems to have forgotten all about it the next day. I got only bits and pieces about the whole storyline, but it involved Luthor.

The Joker for just about everything. They really go too far with him.

Quote Originally Posted by sanderling View Post
    Same here.

Most of the other things that have pissed me off I can attribute to writer/editorial decisions and warm up to the character again later in a different context. But Max Lord... I haven't yet been able to divorce the character from that series of upsetting editorial choices.
    Same here.
    Max Lord is just as much a victim as Ted Kord.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    Still mixed with Wonder Woman killing Max Lord in cold blood when I think could've been another solution but seems like a moot point with the whole New 52 thing.

Aquaman and Tempest almost destroying Metropolis that time in Superman in which he seems to have forgotten all about it the next day. I got only bits and pieces about the whole storyline, but it involved Luthor.

The Joker for just about everything. They really go too far with him.
    In Wonder Woman's defense, Max obviously commited suicide to be a martyr and made her kill him.
    He knew the best way to ruin the heroes would be to broadcast her killing someone and her anger towards him just made her easy to sway.

And it gave editorial a way to dispose of Max.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    In Wonder Woman's defense, Max obviously commited suicide to be a martyr and made her kill him.
    He knew the best way to ruin the heroes would be to broadcast her killing someone and her anger towards him just made her easy to sway.

And it gave editorial a way to dispose of Max.
    She didn't kill Max because she was angry at him

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    No... she killed Max because he told her to.

Batman creating Brother Eye and causing the deaths that followed. Also his hypocritical bashing Diana while having no problem with Selina killing Blackmask

No... she killed Max because he told her to.
    And because, you know, there was no other way to stop him and every second he was alive kept Superman under his control

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Nope.

She killed him to save her friend from slavery. Her Lasso revealed it was the only way to do so.

She killed him to defend herself from an attacker under his control, after she'd made it clear she didn't think she could handle another engagement with him.

She killed him because there were no other reliable means to free Superman, and I continue to defy anyone to present one, instead of just saying the old "There's ALWAYS another way" cliché.

She killed him because Max Lord was a monster who engineered an entire scenario to destroy superheroes because he was a spiteful dick. He put himself in a no-win scenario. What happened to him was his fault and no one else's.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Same here.
    Max Lord is just as much a victim as Ted Kord.
    While I do understand your feelings about Max Lord here, the fact remains that, in the story, "Countdown to Infinite Crisis," there are NONE of the usual outs that had applied to Max in the past.

There were no signs whatsoever of his being under any sort of mind control, nor of having been replaced by an imposter.

Instead we got a carefully, meticulously-engineered effort to lure Ted Kord to his death, while destroying his reputation - for no reason other than paranoia and spite.

It looked like a particularly ugly human sacrifice ...

Or, considering how things turned out, a really ugly murder-suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by KoriandrJean View Post
    While I do understand your feelings about Max Lord here, the fact remains that, in the story, "Countdown to Infinite Crisis," there are NONE of the usual outs that had applied to Max in the past.

There were no signs whatsoever of his being under any sort of mind control, nor of having been replaced by an imposter.

Instead we got a carefully, meticulously-engineered effort to lure Ted Kord to his death, while destroying his reputation - for no reason other than paranoia and spite.

It looked like a particularly ugly human sacrifice ...

Or, considering how things turned out, a really ugly murder-suicide.
    To me, it would be similar to Marvel editorial taking Jean Grey, and having never read the Claremont X-Men, boiled her down to an evil monster because all they saw was Dark Phoenix.
    Then have her lure Kitty Pryde to a trap and kill her.
    And then have Thor kill her because 'there's no other way'.

Without an 'out' of being posessed by the Pheonix Force or Mastermind, she would now just be evil because they didn't research her before disposing of both her and Kitty.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Nope.

She killed him to save her friend from slavery. Her Lasso revealed it was the only way to do so.

She killed him to defend herself from an attacker under his control, after she'd made it clear she didn't think she could handle another engagement with him.

She killed him because there were no other reliable means to free Superman, and I continue to defy anyone to present one, instead of just saying the old "There's ALWAYS another way" cliché.

She killed him because Max Lord was a monster who engineered an entire scenario to destroy superheroes because he was a spiteful dick. He put himself in a no-win scenario. What happened to him was his fault and no one else's.
    Absolutely!

Of course, I'm not overlooking "editorial's" responsibility in dragging a whole bunch of characters through the mud, thinking that it would spice things up.

In the end, though, the damage done to DC was incalculable, and I'm glad that Rebirth is alleviating it - but only somewhat ...