Knolp

Default Comic newbie help

Hi I'm kinda new both to the community and the comic books!
    I've been reading some new 52 (batman to graveyardshift, green lantern until hal Jordan is the new leader, and two volumes of suicide squad.) And some standalone series like forever evil and the long haloween!

I'd like to read some other comics preferably about the ones I've read about b4. And preferably a long series!
    Got any advice or tips on what to begin with?

Hmmmm
    Grant Morrison run on JLA has been packaged into giant trades now. Definitely worth picking up (plus you get the awesome Mark Waid fill-in issues
    Waid's own run is worth checking out. Pick up TERROR INCOGNITO, TOWER OF BABEL, HEAVENS LADDER, DIVIDED WE FALL
    Greg Rucka had a long run on WW. Pick up DOWN TO EARTH, BITTER RIVALS, EYES OF THE GORGON, LAND OF THE DEAD, and MISSIONS end
    Rebirth runs are being packaged for trade but those are short compared to the forgoing

DC comics has been publishing comics for around 75 years. So you wouldn't expect ALL...or even a big percentage...of the current crop of comics to be the best stories ever. So don't think you have to dive into the current DC series to optimise your reading enjoyment.

A good example is Suicide Squad. I don't know which two volumes you read...but believe me the original John Ostrander run was (and is) miles better than the recent stuff. (First trade in John Ostrander run is "Trial by Fire".)

The other thing I suggest caution newcomers do is spend as little money as possible UNTIL they know which writers, artists, and characters they enjoy. There are..of course...a fair number of wonderful comics, but not all comics are worth their purchase price.

I'd normally suggest getting down to nearest good library and take out as many trades as possible, so you can get to know your taste before spending heavy money.

But I'd guess collections of American comics are in fairly short supply in Swedish libraries. I'd therefore suggest trying Marvel Unlimited if you have access to that...and just read loads and loads of Marvel. Yes..it's not DC, but a lot of writers and artists have worked for both DC and Marvel, and you'll discover which writers and artists you like. If you like Peter David's and/or Garth Ennis's Marvel work for example, you can be confident you'll also enjoy their work for DC.

Fantastic Member sustainentropy's Avatar

If you want books that follow on from the New 52 then I'd suggest the current 'Rebirth' two year long, mega-event. It's aim is to return some pre-2011 elements of the DCU while incorporating the New 52 era and facing the DC characters off against a mysterious foe, culminating in a crossover with the characters from Watchmen (supposedly).

The release dates for the Rebirth collections can be found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/...rebirth_trade/

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Knolp View Post
    Hi I'm kinda new both to the community and the comic books!
    I've been reading some new 52 (batman to graveyardshift, green lantern until hal Jordan is the new leader, and two volumes of suicide squad.) And some standalone series like forever evil and the long haloween!

I'd like to read some other comics preferably about the ones I've read about b4. And preferably a long series!
    Got any advice or tips on what to begin with?
    Read Grant Morrison's Batman run
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Daw is right. The Perez era of Justice League is Legendary now for example

All Geoff Johns Green Lantern/Blackest Night/Brightest Day etc would be my tip
    mycomix.online is a user generated database
    Catalogue your comic book collection quickly and easily
    Submit comic books to the database and help grow the catalogue

Batman: Hush
    Batman: The long Halloween
    All-star Superman
    Any of the Batman Eternal trades
    Green Lantern: Blackest Night
    Batman and Robin
    Robin: Son of Batman
    Saga

Just a few suggestions off the top of my head, but yea start reading the Rebirth stuff. Batman is on issue 16 and it should take be hard to find the back issues. Or you could pick up the TPB of Rebirth Batman which encompasses issues 1-6 and then pick up the rest from there.
    Last edited by thefiresky; 02-06-2017 at 03:45 PM.
    Pulling:
    Batman, Detective Comics, The Sentry, Mister Miracle, Venom

If you don't mind digital you can check to see what's on sale from amazon/google play/apple store and test the waters that way, no matter what you are recommended it's always best to sample as much as you can before jumping into to much of a certain character.

Pre-Flashpoint:

Morrison's Batman. (especially Batman INC)
    Geoff Johns' GL, Flash and JSA (all three are amazing)

New 52:
    Azz' WW (yeah, it's being erased, but god it was awesome)
    Aquaman by Geoff Johns.

Rebirth:
    Detective Comics.
    Hal Jordan & GLC
    Superman
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

New 52:
    Geoff Johns justice league is quite a good action thriller which introduces new readers well to every character.Also Geoff John's Justice league of America vol 1 and 2 are essentialy justice league vol 4.5 and 5.5.
    Buccellato and Manapul's flash run is good and a hardcover omnibus has been released of that.
    I would also recommend the titans hunt trade paperback followed by picking up the regular monthly rebirth Titans series after that.
    Obscure recommendation of mine is justice league 3000 as it's crazy fun and just crazy.
    Also these shorter series:
    Grayson
    Robin son of batman
    black canary
    GOTHAM ACADEMY!!!!! which is probably not that good for new comic readers but the characters are fun and the references are in abundance.

Rebirth:
    Rebirth one shot is great, even for new readers.
    As above,Titans is ok and quite fun for new readers with "dynamic art" and fun characters.
    Detective comics! Although not great for new readers who do not know the characters the writing is good and you will soon like the characters.
    Superman rebirth is great, and start at #1 not rebirth #1.
    Trinity
    and the super sons book releasing on the 15th.
    Last edited by Red obin; 02-07-2017 at 06:10 AM.