Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Samurai Jack Season 5 (limited series)

just saw the trailer for this and it looks fun. I hope they find a good way to work around the fact that Mako isn't going to be involved. (maybe that's why they got Grey Delisle to show up as a new scenery chewing villain)

looks like it could be awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSrv_n4tw7w

There are tears of joy in my eyes right now. So excited for this show. It's been a long time coming. Looks like the wait will be so worth it.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    I hope they find a good way to work around the fact that Mako isn't going to be involved. (maybe that's why they got Grey Delisle to show up as a new scenery chewing villain)
    Aku seems to still be very present in this. I hope they keep him in the background. They can reuse the laughing already recorded and piece together bits of dialog if needed.

Anyway, this looks great and I am excited for it.

Now this...looks like a genuine continuation and evolution of an old property. I'm freakin hyped.

Bumping this: Have to ask others thoughts on the first three episodes?

I have to say this is the greatest relaunch I've ever seen. In an era of Hulu/netflix/ and on demand shows I can't remember the last time I made a point of actually going out of my way to catch a show as soon as possible. I actually got angry that I have to wait another week before I can have more.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Ultimate Member

It's pretty good overall, but I dislike the distinction being drawn between sentient robots and humans, especially give that Jack's killed humans before, and has never hesitated with a kill shot prior.

I also didn't care for the whole 'Your choices led you here' with the Daughters of Aku, given that they were brainwashed as children. Jack had little way of knowing that yes, but that fact clashed with, his supposed display of mercy.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    It's pretty good overall, but I dislike the distinction being drawn between sentient robots and humans, especially give that Jack's killed humans before, and has never hesitated with a kill shot prior.

I also didn't care for the whole 'Your choices led you here' with the Daughters of Aku, given that they were brainwashed as children. Jack had little way of knowing that yes, but that fact clashed with, his supposed display of mercy.
    When has Jack ever killed humans before? Having re-watched the original show recently I can't remember any moment that had him kill someone who didn't somehow turn out to be a robot. The shows always been odd about treating machines as OK to destroy. But given that's the only reason the show could ever get away with the overt "violence" of the original one kinda has to given it a pass, though question it.

I do think the latter's messed up but not exactly a surprise given Jack's state in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    When has Jack ever killed humans before? Having re-watched the original show recently I can't remember any moment that had him kill someone who didn't somehow turn out to be a robot. The shows always been odd about treating machines as OK to destroy. But given that's the only reason the show could ever get away with the overt "violence" of the original one kinda has to given it a pass, though question it.

I do think the latter's messed up but not exactly a surprise given Jack's state in the show.
    The one episode I see brought up that he might have killed a non robot on the show was the 'Princess and the bounty hunters' I think that's the one where he takes everyone out in the span of a drop of water hitting the ground.

Given the nature of the show there's no 'oh yeah he's definitely dead' but it's certainly possible. If that episode was re-done now they'd almost certainly be dead, however I think it's vague enough where you could maybe say they lived.

As for Jack's hesitation spoilers:
    Can we even call it that? He was surprised, thought about it about a day, then showed 0 hesitation when they turned down his peace offering
    end of spoilers

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post

The Bounty hunters who tried to ambush him. I don't think the Gentleman is gonna walk off a slash across the stomach, Boris was exploded and I and Am got a slice each. The Princess was the only one to walk away.

More than that, are we to believe that in the 50 years Jack's been fighting Aku, he hasn't fought and killed a single human being?

Lastly, my biggest objection is that it falls into the cartoon cliche that only human life matters. Frankly, I think the better focus would have been on the fact that Jack is fighting child soldiers, brainwashed into hating him and unable to conceive of any alternative to killing him.

Astonishing Member

Oh it's a cliche but it's one the show pretty heavily leaned on.

Hmm. I remember that episode but as fights went that never really made me think they were dead. But I can certainly see why some might think it.

So far, Season 5 gets a 5 out of 5 from me. I especially think the Art and Direction are a step up, on a show that already excelled at those.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Man, this show is pulling on the feels from me as it shows just how much has change and how very few Easter eggs for long time fans if you look closely at the show and recall who's on it.

I mean just this week's episode had a small call back to the ORIGINAL PPG and not the current reboot version.

From last night's episode.

spoilers:
    The Scotsman's rant/death/return was a hell of a 15 second emotional roller coaster
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    From last night's episode.

spoilers:
    The Scotsman's rant/death/return was a hell of a 15 second emotional roller coaster
    end of spoilers
    Indeed.

spoilers:
    I was genuinly sad and upset when Aku blasted him, right after chuckling from the Scotsman's insult and Aku's bored expression. Then ghost Scotsman came back. I'm still recovering from it all.
    end of spoilers

I'm digging the stuff with Jack and how Ashi's story is playing out. I know Aku is still classic Aku, I'm just hoping him to be a little more serious, particularly when he and Jack finally face off.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I mean just this week's episode had a small call back to the ORIGINAL PPG and not the current reboot version.
    Which one was this?