Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default How a solo Hawkman/Hawkgirl DCCU film could work

First and foremost, introducing one or both by themselves in a standard contemporary setting wouldn't work well unless they're in an ensemble picture (eg. Justice League). Instead, I'd recommend the film be about their past lives as Thanagarians who arrived in ancient Egypt. Make it a dark fantasy film in the same vein as a Robert E. Howard novel with bloodshed, sorcery, and intrigue with a bit of a sci-fi spin added. Finally, DONT CALL THE FILM "HAWKMAN/GIRL". Again, have the hook be a Egyptian fantasy epic in the DC universe by calling it something like "The Legacy of Thanagar" or " The Thanagar Chronicles". This could work excellently as an introductory piece for either or both of these characters instead of dooming them to "ensemble character" status.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 02-07-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Mighty Member

Default Hawkman/Hawkgirl Solo film

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    First and foremost, introducing one or both by themselves in a standard contemporary setting wouldn't work well unless they're in an ensemble picture (eg. Justice League). Instead, I'd recommend the film be about their past lives as Thanagarians who arrived in ancient Egypt. Make it a dark fantasy film in the same vein as a Robert E. Howard novel with bloodshed, sorcery, and intrigue with a bit of a sci-fi spin added. Finally, DONT CALL THE FILM "HAWKMAN/GIRL". Again, have the hook be a Egyptian fantasy epic in the DC universe by calling it something like "The Legacy of Thanagar" or " The Thanagar Chronicles". This could work excellently as an introductory piece for either or both of these characters instead of dooming them to "ensemble character" status.
    The trouble with Sword and Sandals as your starting point is that since Gladiator most historic epics of this type have seen Luke warm to mediocre box office receipts. Maybe 300 did ok but not many others. The ill fated Romeo and Juliet trope has been done to death in both the comics and badly on TV's Legends. Not calling it what it is reminds me of the mistake Disney made with John Carter. Film probably would have done poorly anyway but by not connecting with it with Burroughs and Mars was a big mistake. Introducing them as Space Cops would make it hard to explain Carters use of historical weapons let alone the Hawkman costumes. Basically both contexts would be extremely difficult to use as central premises and make either work for the general audience. Probably would do better on TV than as a feature film.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    The trouble with Sword and Sandals as your starting point is that since Gladiator most historic epics of this type have seen Luke warm to mediocre box office receipts. Maybe 300 did ok but not many others. The ill fated Romeo and Juliet trope has been done to death in both the comics and badly on TV's Legends. Not calling it what it is reminds me of the mistake Disney made with John Carter. Film probably would have done poorly anyway but by not connecting with it with Burroughs and Mars was a big mistake. Introducing them as Space Cops would make it hard to explain Carters use of historical weapons let alone the Hawkman costumes. Basically both contexts would be extremely difficult to use as central premises and make either work for the general audience. Probably would do better on TV than as a feature film.
    Make it a dark and violent fantasy adventure (possiblr R-rated) with the violence itself relying more on practical effects.

Would they have "real wings" or would they just be strap on's ? Or would they do the Cheap CW Cop out and have them just DISAPPEAR when not needed?

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I like the idea and it could work, but they would have to be very careful not to descend into cheese when it comes to using the Ancient Egyptian setting & aesthetic. Similarly styled films like Ben Hur, Exodus, and Gods of Egypt all bombed and their marketing relied mostly on playing up the grandeur of sand and armies and mythical adventures. While I think all those things can be creatively and successfully incorporated into a Hawk film, there has to be something more to catch audience's attention.

I think I'd start it with Carter, the archeologist, on a quest to find Shayera, and having flashbacks to his past lives. Maybe he has help from his scientist buddies Adam Strange and Ray Palmer, who don't yet have any special abilities. The movie itself might open to their beginnings in Egypt. A strong villain would be important given the fact the Hawks aren't well known, so having Vandal Savage as a constant antagonist (as different conquerers throughout history) would work. Carter meets Kendra who rejects his destiny theory but has a personal stake in fighting Savage for some reason. I can't think of a good reason for them to be fighting-Savage has to want something they're trying to prevent-but my ideas just go back to generic comic book movie shit. So maybe a Hawkworld dystopia would be a better way to start it, although in my mind that still leads into Thanagarian invasion.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

A period movie (Shadow, Indiana Jones, Rocketeer)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flyattractor View Post
    Would they have "real wings" or would they just be strap on's ? Or would they do the Cheap CW Cop out and have them just DISAPPEAR when not needed?
    Well it's weird. Some interpretations say they're extraterrestrial anatomy. Others say they're artificial and work in conjuction with Nth-metal tech/implants. I think the latter might work if you make them look like a combination of living organic wings but with apparent, almost Giger-esque features interlaced through the wingspan and blending with the bird helmet and armor. Also I'd like to see a clawed gauntlet with one or two fingers having foldable, elongated, hook-like blades which serve to snatch up some poor sod (either by his/her clothes or flesh) mid-flight.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 02-08-2017 at 03:12 PM.

i saw will smith's hancock and thought, man, this plot could have been carter and shayera's..

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    i saw will smith's hancock and thought, man, this plot could have been carter and shayera's..
    I was just thinking the same thing. That ending was a blatant rip-off (intentional or not).

Mighty Member

Y'know, I'm now wondering if they should take liberties and have the movie take place in the Assyrian Empire (which was infamous for its bloodshed) instead of Egypt.

Astonishing Member

I hate the ancient Egypt origin. Can't they just be Thanagarian cops who come to Earth?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I always hated the Egyptian origin. I prefer the space cop one as it's less stupid and cringey. Legends did the Egypt origin and butchered it. It would be in the film's best interest to avoid it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I always hated the Egyptian origin. I prefer the space cop one as it's less stupid and cringey. Legends did the Egypt origin and butchered it. It would be in the film's best interest to avoid it.
    People's biggest problems with the Thangarian origin seems to be that they can't reconcile aliens who are capable of interstellar travel with them using ancient or medieval weapons. But the thing I remember most about Thanagar from reading the Silver Age Hawkman comics is that they kind of had an unusual culture. Crime on their planet was a completely different thing than it is anywhere else (I believe most of Thanagar's criminals were actually thrill-seekers who did it for fun, actually). But they also had different customs and stuff. So why not just make the ancient weapons something consistent with their culture. They could be an honor-bound warrior culture like the Klingons or something and they can prefer melee weapons because they believe it's the more honorable means of combat.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    People's biggest problems with the Thangarian origin seems to be that they can't reconcile aliens who are capable of interstellar travel with them using ancient or medieval weapons. But the thing I remember most about Thanagar from reading the Silver Age Hawkman comics is that they kind of had an unusual culture. Crime on their planet was a completely different thing than it is anywhere else (I believe most of Thanagar's criminals were actually thrill-seekers who did it for fun, actually). But they also had different customs and stuff. So why not just make the ancient weapons something consistent with their culture. They could be an honor-bound warrior culture like the Klingons or something and they can prefer melee weapons because they believe it's the more honorable means of combat.
    I never had an issue with the medieval weapons because they were made from Nth Metal. Nth Metal has plot device properties. It can negate gravity, negate magic, can make people fly, minor healing, can protect with extreme temperatures. It can do whatever it wants. A simple mace has all these properties built into it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I never had an issue with the medieval weapons because they were made from Nth Metal. Nth Metal has plot device properties. It can negate gravity, negate magic, can make people fly, minor healing, can protect with extreme temperatures. It can do whatever it wants. A simple mace has all these properties built into it.
    Actually, Nth Metal was more of a Golden Age thing. It was the mysterious "Anti-gravity metal" that the Golden Age Hawkman's wings and belt were made of and allowed him to fly. The Thanagarian Hawks used alien tech to fly. Anti-gravity belt and motorized wings that were controlled by thought. The weapons were just weapons from the Midway City museum collection that the Thanagarian Hawks "borrowed" in order to fight crime.

I guess the "Nth Metal" thing works too. It does make more sense for them to be special weapons rather than just valuable and potentially fragile antiques that were lifted from a museum collection. I'd have just made them Thanagarian weapons, but not "special" in any way except that they were made on another planet.