View Poll Results: What was the worst status qou for Spider-man?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Parker Industires CEO

34 32.69%
  • The Clone Saga

26 25.00%
  • Mystic Spider-totem stuff

19 18.27%
  • Iron Spider-man of the Avengers

3 2.88%
  • Other (not to be confused with THE OTHER)

15 14.42%
  • What are you talking about? Spidey is always great

6 5.77%
  • Spider-manb was never great

1 0.96%
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Unhappy What was the WORST era for Spider-man

It was brought up in another thread that the Parker Industries status quo is this generations Clone Saga. Now I liked a lot of the Clone Saga, but it did get me wondering, what period was the worst time to be a Spider-man fan?

Edit: ... and there's a typo in my poll. great.
    Last edited by Alan2099; 02-07-2017 at 05:43 PM.

Clone Saga, hands down. Nuts to the Kaine and Reilly fans.

Depends of who you ask, many people usually point out the 90s, but in many ways that era was better than the 2000s. Hell even the Clone Saga has his brillant moments.

Personally speaking i torn between the godawfull reboot of Mackie and Byrne and the Post-OMD status quo, before somebody said something, is not for the marriage treatment in those eras, i have found some good stuff in those periods, but most of the stories that i have read have been mediocre to meh, with the occasional gem here and there.

I suppose I should give my opinion.

Out of all that, I hated the Spider Totem stuff the most. Knowing Spider-man was destined to get powers and having him interact with all these magical beings hurt the character far worse than giving him some extra tech, money, or any of that. Spider-man had retractable claws at one point. WHo thought that was a good idea?

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Why isn't sins past listed? That is hands down the worst spider man story period it's so terrible that I'd rather read the clone saga the other and or even one more day it was just so wrong on so many levels.

At least with the clone saga and the other and even one more day as bad and terrible as one more day was it at least made sense where with the sins past story of the Gwen and Norman affair didn't and it was just so wrong on so many levels and it didn't even have a reason for even existing.
    Last edited by Ianbarreilles; 02-07-2017 at 08:05 PM.

Spectacular Member AmazingFantasy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    Why isn't sins past listed? That is hands down the worst spider man story period it's so terrible that I'd rather read the clone saga the other and or even one more day it was just so wrong on so many levels.
    Well, while I agree, he's asking which era is the worst, and Sins Past isn't really an era.

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmazingFantasy View Post
    Well, while I agree, he's asking which era is the worst, and Sins Past isn't really an era.
    It kinda was it took much of 2004 I kinda see that as the really odd era of the JMS run of spider man the other half of 2004 was the other we also had Peter getting organic webbing and turning into a giant spider and giving birth to himself which was weird.

Thumbs up

The whole Mystic Spider-totem saga was pretty awful, not to mention confusing at times.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I went for Other, as in the first mistaken attempt to bring Peter Parker "back to basics" --- the Byrne/Mackie reboot of 1999-2000. Marvel should have learned from that, but it didn't, and we got another, even more atrocious attempt at resetting Peter Parker 8-9 years later. Even the Clone Saga was an attempt to reset Peter Parker, but let Marvel have its cake and eat it, too --- keep "Peter" married to Mary Jane, but send them off somewhere to live happily ever after with their upcoming baby while Ben Reilly settled in as the one, true (and conveniently single) Spider-Man. And what do they all have in common? They all collapsed on themselves, because a character that cannot truly grow and evolve will ultimately stagnate and fail, as Spider-Man has repeatedly demonstrated.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Clone Saga

The Mackie/ Byrne relaunch comes close.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

For me, it was when his "Parents" came back and were revealed to be cyborgs or something all the way through to the clone saga.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    For me, it was when his "Parents" came back and were revealed to be cyborgs or something all the way through to the clone saga.
    When 90s darkness, edginess, grimness, and grittiness just went too damn far. Thanks for pointing that one out, too.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Post-OMD Brand New Day wasn't much to write home about either.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    When 90s darkness, edginess, grimness, and grittiness just went too damn far. Thanks for pointing that one out, too.
    I lump his "I am the Spider" phase in with the clone saga, but yeah, that was really horrible.

Astonishing Member

Clone Saga,followed by the Spider Totem mystic stuff.
    The Clone Saga made me actually quit reading Spider-Man comics back then.