View Poll Results: What was the worst status qou for Spider-man?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Parker Industires CEO

34 32.69%
  • The Clone Saga

26 25.00%
  • Mystic Spider-totem stuff

19 18.27%
  • Iron Spider-man of the Avengers

3 2.88%
  • Other (not to be confused with THE OTHER)

15 14.42%
  • What are you talking about? Spidey is always great

6 5.77%
  • Spider-manb was never great

1 0.96%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Because Marvel wants a young Spider-Man. It's not complicated, I don't think.

Only if you obsess about it. There are plenty of readers who can let it go, including this one.

-Pav, who liked a married Peter but still likes Spidey...
    To clarify, I'm not saying that I dislike Spider-Man just because he isn't married. If that were the case, I wouldn't like many classic runs from from 1962-1987; I've even enjoyed multiple Spidey tales post-marriage. That being said, I still maintain that getting rid of the marriage was highly unnecessary (especially considering that writers since then haven't really done anything with Peter's single status that couldn't be achieved with his married status except for dating and/or sleeping with a variety of attractive, yet disposable women since then).

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Like I've said, it's new territory for the writers with RYV. We've only seen an older Peter play a supporting role in Spider-Girl, and while he did come out of retirement, he was hindered by handicaps and MJ ultimately demanded he stop again anyway. Here, Peter and MJ will be carrying on as heroes in addition to working alongside their daughter. There's a very good creative opportunity here.
    But it suggests they're not as interested in having Peter with a younger kid. Which doesn't bode well for the argument that the character can age slowly as a married father.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Fantastic Member

To be completely fair - it's a bit like pizza (or crack) .. even the really bad stuff isn't the end of the world... some of it takes on a life of it's own...

One thing I love is I'll see a post about how reading something was like the Hammertime scene (mallet meets testicles) from the Immortals - and the next post talks about how the same story was so good that they are naming their kid after it ( not sure if there really is a Max C. Lonage wandering the earth)

Of coarse there are exceptions - the ones that really seem to rile is if a story goes seriously ooc without a "valid" reason ... seems most of the nerdrage(!!) posts (myself included) have this in common...

It's kind of cool that some squiggles and paper can elicit such a strong reaction - 50+ years after it's creation

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    But it suggests they're not as interested in having Peter with a younger kid. Which doesn't bode well for the argument that the character can age slowly as a married father.
    It's probable that teen Annie has more crossover appeal for stories, especially if they're planning some kind of RYV crossover in the future, and want her to migrate over to core canon to have relationships with other legacy characters in the same manner they briefly toyed with Gwen and Miles [imagine if Miles and Annie hooked up, or if Miles met RYV Peter]

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    It's probable that teen Annie has more crossover appeal for stories, especially if they're planning some kind of RYV crossover in the future, and want her to migrate over to core canon to have relationships with other legacy characters in the same manner they briefly toyed with Gwen and Miles [imagine if Miles and Annie hooked up, or if Miles met RYV Peter]
    Question on Marvel time ... it tends to make my head hurt

So everything happens on a sliding scale of 10 years +/-

Aunt May going to see Hair, standing next to a guy in Bell Bottoms and a sweet 'fro ... that was 2007ish in Marvel time...

So Peter goes through life ...picking up experiences, memories, experiences and (gasp!) age ...

If he's to be kept younger - they make sure he has no attachments and just "reset" him earlier on that treadmill? It could take 50 years to fill up half that 10 year span ...

Is he literally reset to 20 something or does he just never move forward in his own books? or is it something else - like the Simpsons? (think Bart's been in 4th grade sense I was in grade school)

How does it work if he drops in on Reed Richards (Reed never ages .. he's always going to look and act like a dad ...) in another book?

I always pictured him as mid to late 20's/very early 30s); but kind of responsible for his age (like my folks generation - 2 kids, a mortgage, and lived in London at 24 - then did college at night; graduating at 26)

I get there is kind of a mishmash of old and new - from Norman's Brill cream hair (which Harry inherited) to the occasional pop culture reference or dated science ... but was hoping for a solid answer
    Last edited by Vixx; 07-07-2017 at 02:35 PM.

All-New Member

Brand New Day. It was Brand New HORROR times, that times...

Quote Originally Posted by Vixx View Post
    Question on Marvel time ... it tends to make my head hurt

So everything happens on a sliding scale of 10 years +/-

Aunt May going to see Hair, standing next to a guy in Bell Bottoms and a sweet 'fro ... that was 2007ish in Marvel time...

So Peter goes through life ...picking up experiences, memories, experiences and (gasp!) age ...

If he's to be kept younger - they make sure he has no attachments and just "reset" him earlier on that treadmill? It could take 50 years to fill up half that 10 year span ...

Is he literally reset to 20 something or does he just never move forward in his own books? or is it something else - like the Simpsons? (think Bart's been in 4th grade sense I was in grade school)

How does it work if he drops in on Reed Richards (Reed never ages .. he's always going to look and act like a dad ...) in another book?

I always pictured him as mid to late 20's/very early 30s); but kind of responsible for his age (like my folks generation - 2 kids, a mortgage, and lived in London at 24 - then did college at night; graduating at 26)

I get there is kind of a mishmash of old and new - from Norman's Brill cream hair (which Harry inherited) to the occasional pop culture reference or dated science ... but was hoping for a solid answer

Real official answer? It doesn't matter. Late 20's Early 30's... anywhere in there is fine. With Peter there aren't actual 'years' so much as 'eras'. There is High School, College, Post-college. The same way that they are CONSTANTLY having 16 year olds in High school shows played by actors between 28 and 30... that is a huge chunk of time that doesn't really matter in the long run. Having just turned 40 this week, it feels like just yesterday, I was just hanging out at a friends place all night playing video games in my 20's and just last week I was taking Driver's training in high school...

Sliding timelines will drive you insane if you focus too much on who the president is or the bell bottoms. The stories all happened, they were just wearing jeans and speaking in modern slang.

Simpsons is a good example, if it had the multiple eras... but each individual era could be considered the simpsons.