All-New Member

Lapsed reader looking to get back into comics

I haven't read a comic in the last 5 years or so, but I actually used to frequent this forum and had tons of posts here. The last thing in comics I remember Wonder Woman and Superman were kissing/a couple, Batman was going through a Riddler arc with Snyder and Spider-Man was Superior.

I'd like to get caught up by reading the comics so I would love to hear about the arcs I should read, but also just good comics that have come out in that span of time.

I know there have been a lot of comics in that span, but would really appreciate the help.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doordoor123 View Post
    I haven't read a comic in the last 5 years or so, but I actually used to frequent this forum and had tons of posts here. The last thing in comics I remember Wonder Woman and Superman were kissing/a couple, Batman was going through a Riddler arc with Snyder and Spider-Man was Superior.

I'd like to get caught up by reading the comics so I would love to hear about the arcs I should read, but also just good comics that have come out in that span of time.

I know there have been a lot of comics in that span, but would really appreciate the help.
    Snyder's run on Batman is pretty universally praised.

As for Superman...well, let me ask: do you know what "Rebirth" is? It's the re-incorporation of certain histories, characters, and relationships that were erased by the New 52. When it comes to Superman, that meant killing off the New 52 Superman-ending the romantic dynamic with Wonder Woman-and reestablishing older pre-New 52 Superman with a family as the main Superman.

I recommend you read the first "Rebirth" arc of any character you like. I follow like 8 titles and was really enjoying each one, I've never enjoyed as many titles at one time. It's a great time to hop back on. They're currently being collected in trades.

I'm sure others can be more help when it comes to New 52's best arcs.

For Superman, I actually recommend starting from Convergence: Superman (part of the Convergence: Flashpoint Book One TPB), then the Superman: Lois and Clark mini (also collected in TPB) and Superman: The Final Days of Superman TPB before delving into Superman Rebirth.

Unless, of course, you hate pre-FP Superman and hate the idea of Superdad.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

AQUAMAN has been great, well worth the read.

I've been really into Tom King's BATMAN, and all of the Young Animal titles (Shade the Changing Girl, Mother Panic, Doom Patrol, and Cave Carson).
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-07-2017 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doordoor123 View Post

It's a good time to catch up on the new stuff as REBIRTH initial runs are being offered in trades. Wonder Woman Year One has been amazing.

All-New Member

Priest's run on Deathstroke Rebirth has been absolutely outstanding!!! I know, you're probably thinking "Deathstroke?... ummm, pass". Don't! It is so damn good!!! Action, mystery, sex, humour, it has it all!! Priest has a great storyline going, and his characterizations are spot on. Love everything in this series so far!!

And if you live in the US, have a library card, and are fine reading digital, check out Hoopla to see if your library is supported. It would help make catching up more affordable.

If you're also wanting to catch up on Marvel, I highly recommend Marvel Unlimited (app available on iOS and Android). It's a Marvel buffet of 6 months and older back issues at a very affordable $10/month or $70/year.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

You should be able to pick up any Rebirth title and jump right in. Once you have an idea of where you stand, you can dig into the New52 stuff.

Myself, I'd recommend any of the following, but I dont know what your tastes are, so take them with a grain of salt.

Superman by Tomasi.
    Wonder Woman by Rucka.
    Detective Comics by Tynion.
    Aquaman by Abnett.
    Deathstroke by Priest.
    JLA by Orlando.
    Green Arrow by Percy.

All of these books are excellent and capture the essence of the characters (almost) perfectly. If you're a fan of any of them, you'll likely enjoy the current books. A couple things you should know; Superman has a family now. Detective is a team-up book about the Gotham-based vigilantes with a fluid roster. JLA just started, also is going to have a fluid roster, and is mostly made up of C-listers along with Batman. Wonder Woman is screwing with continuity by saying that something/someone has been manipulating Diana's memories since she left Paradise Island.

And if you like stuff like Deadpool I'd also give Harley Quinn, by Palometti and Conner, a shot. It's ridiculous, over-the-top, violent, and lots of fun if it happens to match your sensibilities. But its not for everyone. The Rebirth stuff plays directly out of the New52 series, so if you're interested I'd start with the first volume of Palometti's run and work your way up to the current Rebirth run.

Other books which are decent but not mind-blowing: Nightwing, Cyborg, Flash, Justice League (JL might not quite hit the "decent" mark, actually). I hear the Green Lantern books (Hal Jordan and the GLC and Green Lanterns) are okay but I havent checked them out.

And if you liked WildStorm back in the day, Warren Ellis is re-launching the line with a new book called The Wild Storm, which launches on the 15th (I think).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

My pick right now is Titans.

For Titans:
    Titans Hunt #1-8
    DC Universe: Rebirth #1
    Justice League #51
    Titans: Rebirth #1
    Titans #1-8

No matter what you choose, however, one book you should definitely check out is DC Universe: Rebirth #1, which sets up a background arc that's being touched on in varying degrees across the DCU.
    And a 'must-get' if you pick Titans and/or Flash.

Also, JSA and Legion will both be launching soon, with hints that they'll both be out by the fall.
    DCU: Rebirth #1 will still be worth getting for those, with its appearances of Saturn Girl and Johnny Thunder.
    And the recently wrapped Justice League/Suicide Squad had a JSA villian (Johnny Sorrow) and a Legion villain (Emerald Empress).

Plus... the new Justice League of America looks to be off to a good start.

For JLA:
    Justice League/Suicide Squad #1-6
    JLA - Atom: Rebirth #1
    JLA - Killer Frost: Rebirth #1
    JLA - Ray: Rebirth #1
    JLA - Vixen: Rebirth #1
    JLA: Rebirth #1
    JLA #1
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    And if you live in the US, have a library card, and are fine reading digital, check out Hoopla to see if your library is supported. It would help make catching up more affordable.

If you're also wanting to catch up on Marvel, I highly recommend Marvel Unlimited (app available on iOS and Android). It's a Marvel buffet of 6 months and older back issues at a very affordable $10/month or $70/year.
    I also recommend Hoopla.

Use the following chart and you can read them all for free if your library uses Hoopla.
    Then pick the ones you like and go from there.

"There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.