Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Parker Legacy, where Ben gets the shocker that the other one survived and owned the identity as Peter Parker, then he got into a drunken bar fight.

Kaine: Because for real, that guy was different from Peter Parker and edgier too.

The part that I despised was Maximum Cloneage.
    Last edited by DieHard200904; 02-08-2017 at 09:39 PM.

Ben nearly being choked to death by the hood of his costume. (Apparently he didn't learn anything by this experience though.)

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    They were actually playing "follow the leader" with X-Men: Age of Apocalypse, which temporarily halted the X-Books in progress and replaced them all with new #1s for the new reality they were depicting, and also because they didn't want Ben to become Spider-Man right away, not until they could set up a reason for him to give up the Scarlet Spider identity.
    I remember being a kid and, not knowing any better, thinking that Spider-Man comics were no more!

Despite the less than stellar quality, those Scarlet issues still hold a special place in my heart.

-Pav, who also liked Doc Ock during the Clone Saga...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    They were actually playing "follow the leader" with X-Men: Age of Apocalypse, which temporarily halted the X-Books in progress and replaced them all with new #1s for the new reality they were depicting, and also because they didn't want Ben to become Spider-Man right away, not until they could set up a reason for him to give up the Scarlet Spider identity.
    Sure, but the gimmick fit organically into the Age of Apocalypse storyline, whereas it just slowed things to a crawl with the Clone Saga.

It's one of those cases of the cart leading the horse, in this case marketing driving the story instead of drawing attention to it.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I remember being a kid and, not knowing any better, thinking that Spider-Man comics were no more!

Despite the less than stellar quality, those Scarlet issues still hold a special place in my heart.

-Pav, who also liked Doc Ock during the Clone Saga...
    I really wish Carolyn Trainer would come back. She could have easily set out to "avenge" Doctor Octopus during Superior Spider-Man, unaware that Ock's mind lived on in Spider-Man's body. Or come back to sabotage Parker Industries after Superior Spider-Man was over with, again to spite Spider-Man for "killing" Doctor Octopus. Hell, I would buy her as the "Queenpin of Crime" more than I'd buy Black Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Sure, but the gimmick fit organically into the Age of Apocalypse storyline, whereas it just slowed things to a crawl with the Clone Saga.

It's one of those cases of the cart leading the horse, in this case marketing driving the story instead of drawing attention to it.
    Which was the downfall of 90s Marvel overall, not just Spider-Man, marketing-driven events as opposed to at least quasi-organic storytelling that fit the characters and setting.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

the energy of those first few arcs.

when a creative team is excited and really pour their hearts into the material, it's hard not to get swept up along with that. everyone's work lifted (initially).
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member

I think the Todd Dezago/Mike Weiringo run on Sensational Spider-Man was a great run hidden in all the endless subplots and unending mysteries of that era.

BANNED

Every Kaine/Ben interaction scene!

Fantastic Member

Like Steward Trainer before they threw him under the spider bus

I liked that Ben had someone he trusted and figure things out with ...

Quote Originally Posted by Vixx View Post
    Like Steward Trainer before they threw him under the spider bus

I liked that Ben had someone he trusted and figure things out with ...
    Maybe there's a copy of Trainer still surfing the web from inside the internet.

I liked Carolyn, too, but honestly I was thinking earlier of Otto's portrayal - specifically in Web of Death.

Now that I think of it, that was the first comic I read with Doc Ock in it.

-Pav, who wonders if Carolyn will come back to menace Ben...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Maybe there's a copy of Trainer still surfing the web from inside the internet.

I liked Carolyn, too, but honestly I was thinking earlier of Otto's portrayal - specifically in Web of Death.

Now that I think of it, that was the first comic I read with Doc Ock in it.

-Pav, who wonders if Carolyn will come back to menace Ben...
    The first time Otto came close to redemption, saving his hated nemesis's life and even expressing sympathy and an odd sort of affection for him. Yeah, I remember that. I really wish they'd stuck with that characterization, but when they brought him back from the dead --- "back to basics" time. And yes, I am also hoping for Carolyn Trainer to come back and menace Ben, with Kaine in the awkward position of either helping an outright super-villain because he hates Ben that much now, or stopping said outright super-villain because Ben has to be punished by his hand alone and unintentionally helping Ben in the process.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Amazing Spider-Man 400 is kinda tainted by the retcons (and the necessity of it) but it is really good.

Web of Death was pretty decent, especially the DeMatteis/ Bagley issues.

I'm not a big fan of the Lost Years, but I did like the Redemption mini-series tying up the Kaine saga.

Wieringo's debut on art Sensational Spider-Man #8 was pretty great, with a clever plot by an obscure Lee/ Ditko villain.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Amazing Member

Well, then Ben taking Peter's place. He was good in this role. Really like true for Peter brother.