Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Let's take an example - this whole Class 100 business. 100 tons sounds like a lot, right?

Take a room that measures 20' x 20' x 10'. Not so huge, eh? Fill it up with water. Congratulations, you have about 113 tons of water (metric tons, which are pretty close to Imperial tons).

Take a block of granite that measures roughly 10' x 10' x 13'. You now have about 100 tons of rock.

Block of iron 6.5' x 6.5' x 11' or so, and you've got over 100 tons of iron.

The Mutants and Masterminds RPG used to have a table of weights, using stuff to give examples. The masses of nuclear subs, battleships, aircraft carriers are astounding - orders of magnitude above 100 tons.

747 jets - EMPTY - mass somewhere between 150 and 220 tons depending on the model, and some 'Class 100' (or less!) comic book characters throw them around like spears. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Yep, I get what ya sayin', Sharpandpointies!

I was just sayin' Marvel should do better, because what's the point of an "Official Handbooks" that is, for all intents and purposes, wrong!?!

But I never saw Thor equalling Superman, or Batman being as strong as CA. Wonder Woman is stronger than Hercules, especially Marvel's version. I am not sure they exactly line up evenly. And that is OK. I was just trying to get a general idea where they all fit.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    This reminds me of Vegeta vs Metalman in Dragon Ball Super. Vegeta can't lift 1000 tons? Seems fishy.
    My personal fanon is that Dragon Ball Earth uses a completely different weight scale than real world Earth, even though they use the same words. That would explain why everyone is so shocked when Goku shows that his outfit weighed over 200 lbs, even though that should be like a regular baseball cap to someone with his strength feats by that point.

BANNED

Great lists but wish you ranked top to bottom not bottom to top it is confusing guys lol.

Just followed the general structure of your list, cos 2 of the 3 at the top of your list were Cap & Bats, while 2 of the 3 at the bottom of your list were Brian and Namor.

Kinda felt like that's how you wanted the list structured.

BANNED

Instead of making a new thread. Where does Rhino rank in this? Just read Silver Surfer #54 and loved it! Thanks and sorry Beadle buddy.

Everyone's favorite host Guy Smiley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ite View Post
    Instead of making a new thread. Where does Rhino rank in this? Just read Silver Surfer #54 and loved it!
    Oh jeez, uh, somewhere between Spidey (He's generally presented as stronger than Pete, so that's easy enough) and Thing? I'm not sure how he fares against the likes of Luke Cage.

He honestly shouldn't be able to do squat to the Surfer, who has no-sold a surprise She-Hulk punch to the face and flat-out caught the Hulk's attacks. It'd be pretty much SMvFL.
    Last edited by Guy Smiley; 02-13-2017 at 06:09 AM.

Astonishing Member

I find the idea that writers should know things about the world is a horrible concept. Why with knowledge of physics, astronomy, fighting, weapons, neurophysiology, etc. - so much of comics would be laughable. Oh, wait - they are!

Green Lantern is just an hilarious romp through scientific ignorance. Let's not forget that whenever a Class 100 brick lifts a mountain or tank - he or she is just standing on the lawn and doesn't disappear into the ground.

There's no sonic boom when they exceed the speed of sound across cities. What else is new!

I always thought Rhino was Class 70
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    I find the idea that writers should know things about the world is a horrible concept. Why with knowledge of physics, astronomy, fighting, weapons, neurophysiology, etc. - so much of comics would be laughable. Oh, wait - they are!

Green Lantern is just an hilarious romp through scientific ignorance. Let's not forget that whenever a Class 100 brick lifts a mountain or tank - he or she is just standing on the lawn and doesn't disappear into the ground.

There's no sonic boom when they exceed the speed of sound across cities. What else is new!
    I don't feel this is quite the same thing.

It's not 'this character can exceed lightspeed without any possible shred of collateral'. It's not 'weird power ring that does all kinds of BS'.

Okay, it's pretty close to 'lifting mountain' (and actually, you're wrong - if we went there, they would try to lift the mountain and come away with...I don't know, maybe a boulder or a couple of handfuls of whatever they grabbed, and the mountain just wouldn't care).

This is 'We have solidly pegged the Thing as capable of lifting 80 tons overhead. It's what we have written in the guidebook about this character! Next time in the Fantastic Four - the Thing juggles tanks!'

Which is less 'lack of knowledge of physics' and more 'basic ability to compare'. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    I always thought Rhino was Class 70
    Somewhere in there. 60-70. Ish.
    Why are we here?

BTW, re. Ben juggling tanks. At least tanks are vaguely juggle-able. IIRC, in West Coast Avengers Annual #1 (the one when Pietro had betrayed the Avengers and was fighting them all with the LMD Zodiac Cartel), Wonder Man was juggling elephants.

Yes, PETA, that's right.

Elephants.

Just for shits and giggles.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Smiley View Post
    Oh jeez, uh, somewhere between Spidey (He's generally presented as stronger than Pete, so that's easy enough) and Thing? I'm not sure how he fares against the likes of Luke Cage.

He honestly shouldn't be able to do squat to the Surfer, who has no-sold a surprise She-Hulk punch to the face and flat-out caught the Hulk's attacks. It'd be pretty much SMvFL.
    He didn't hurt Surfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Somewhere in there. 60-70. Ish.

Which is his IQ, too
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    Which is his IQ, too
    Lol.

Initially, yes. But they have been making Rhino smarter each decade.

His IQ is now 100.