Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    How about a de aging of ppl and time,but total knowledge of everything before.kinda like the movie BIG with Tom Hanks,but on a total universe level.

Ppl would be pissed,and still.trying together back their lives.

I don't know
    That is actually not a new move for comics. Both DC and Marvel have de-aged characters but still maintained their full knowledge of their lives. They pulled that with the Atom back in the 90s and even had Ray Palmer join the Teen Titans, but with him remembering having been on the JLA. I'm sure it upsets some people, but its bound to piss less people off then straight up saying that everything the fanbase has read up to a certain point no longer counts.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 02-09-2017 at 08:56 AM.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Never liked the idea of de-aging DC heroes, because their age was part of the appeal.

I like that Clark, Bruce, Barry, Ollie and most of the others were middle-aged. And that the JSA were in their sixties and seventies. And that the original Teen Titans were in their early to mid-twenties. And that you had a younger generation.

There was so much diversity and legacy in the DCU, and I am really glad to see that returning.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    That is actually not a new move for comics. Both DC and Marvel have de-aged characters but still maintained their full knowledge of their lives. They pulled that with the Atom back in the 90s and even had Ray Palmer join the Teen Titans, but with him remembering having been on the JLA. I'm sure it upsets some people, but its bound to piss less people off then straight up saying that everything the fanbase has read up to a certain point no longer counts.
    "The Crossing" and teenage Tony Stark are not fondly remembered.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    "The Crossing" and teenage Tony Stark are not fondly remembered.
    But better remembered than the New 52 will be.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

But better remembered than the New 52 will be.
    Eh, not really. Teen Tony lasted, what, six months? The new 52, for all it's issues, is not as ill advised as that questionable period.In fact until it was mentioned again, I totally forgot about it. I guess I blocked it from my mind.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 02-09-2017 at 09:29 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I fail to see how Nuperman being different from Superdad doesn't make him Superman.

Superman doesn't need to be in a relationship with Lois Lane to be Superman. He doesn't need to work with the Daily Planet, a red underwear or the Kent alive in his adulthood to be Superman. What he need is to be true to the, well, "character" of the character : an alien from Krypton who helps people and is one (if not the) strongest hero there is. Is is totally different from saying "Guys, you got it all wrong, Nuperman was totally Superdad in the past, thanks to timey whimey magic stuff than nobody understand". That's terrible writing and a way for DC to have its cake and eat it too, which I find quite insulting. New 52 Superman was in love with Diana, he had moved out of the "Lois is the only woman Superman can be with", he had a different approach from the previous iteration of the character, but he was still Superman.

A different one, but Superman nonetheless.

I also fail to see how DC can hope to reconcile the things which happened to New 52 Superman with the ones Superdad did. And, honestly, isn't it totally hypocrite to have DC use Rebirth to get ride of the things it didn't like in the Pre-Flashpoint, add to it everything it liked from New 52 and call it the "everything is canon" approach ? It doesn't work that way. Either all of Pre and Post Flashpoint is canon, or is is only a new timeline designed as canon for the time being. Honestly, that's my problem with the comics in general anyway here : instead of creating new characters or at the very least new iterations of the same character, they simply try to pretend that there has been one legacy, one true timeline, when it makes no sense to do so and -personally- fail to entice me to the characters and their stories. I don't like to simply have throwback in one issue on something which happened twenty or more years ago, I can't invest in the character that way.

That's why the New 52 brought me in for comics, and why Rebirth is clearly showing me the door more and more when it comes to Superman (and clearly bit me and thrown me out of Wonder Woman) and even Batman is often on the verge of doing this.
    Aaaaaaannnd again my head keeps going to HyperTime which has literally Everything That Ever Was being out there. Wouldn't 52 just be another verse "out there" that they could use or not without all the weird in this thread?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by durabill View Post
    Sorry but I have to disagree with you there.
    The first five years of the Post-Crises Superman were Awesome!!!

I'll defend what Byrne, Wolfman, Ordway, Perez, Jurgans, Stern, Gammil, Mcleod, Grummet, Simonson, Bogdanove, etc.. did on these issues as some of the better Superman stories in the last 30 years..
    I think most people would.

I'm in the minority when it comes to what I think it was the period of Post-Crisis Superman's history that gave the best stories.

BANNED

Comics has to keep these characters young,or revert them to being young at a certain point,that's just a fact that we have to live with.

One day superdad will get the de aging treatment again,and probably have to start all over,and it won't matter how mad we on these threads get,he cant get old in comics,maybe as a elseworld,but not the main universe sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Aaaaaaannnd again my head keeps going to HyperTime which has literally Everything That Ever Was being out there. Wouldn't 52 just be another verse "out there" that they could use or not without all the weird in this thread?
    Hyper time,man that was a awesome idea,and such a missed opportunity.superboys book used it really well,man that was the good ol days

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    Comics has to keep these characters young,or revert them to being young at a certain point,that's just a fact that we have to live with.

One day superdad will get the de aging treatment again,and probably have to start all over,and it won't matter how mad we on these threads get,he cant get old in comics,maybe as a elseworld,but not the main universe sorry
    Reed and Sue Richards have been parents to Franklin for literally almost 50 years. Dick Grayson has also been a twenty-something-year-old for over 30 years. LOL. I don't think keeping Superman at the age he is currently and just keeping Jon as a child is going to be a problem for DC in the long term.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Eh, not really. Teen Tony lasted, what, six months? The new 52, for all it's issues, is not as ill advised as that questionable period.In fact until it was mentioned again, I totally forgot about it. I guess I blocked it from my mind.
    I'm just saying that New 52 is a move that's going to be looked at with vitriol and hatred, and deservedly so.

I'm just saying that New 52 is a move that's going to be looked at with vitriol and hatred, and deservedly so.
    Vitriol and hatred? That seems extreme. Mocking, sure.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Vitriol and hatred? That seems extreme. Mocking, sure.
    I think the New 52 will be looked at as just a particular period in DC'S history and nothing more. It'll be looked at as the era where the Heroes wore crappy costumes and the continuity was a bit more vague than usual. It won't be hated so much as rendered irrelevant.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

more like "divisive" than hatred. There was plenty of good and bad alike (like pretty much all eras of Supes), and I'm sure a lot of people will continue to remember it fondly even if I personally wasn't the biggest fan.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I think the New 52 will be looked at as just a particular period in DC'S history and nothing more. It'll be looked at as the era where the Heroes wore crappy costumes and the continuity was a bit more vague than usual. It won't be hated so much as rendered irrelevant.
    And Superman rode around in a motorbike. Don't forget that.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

And you'll be wrong. manofsteel is more on the right track. it will simply be viewed as an era. A shorter era, but an era. With those who liked it, those who didn't, those who don't really care. You'll view it with hatred, but you're not looking at much beyond yourself to actually claim it going down in history as you feel. And before you say it, no, your feeling is not confirmed as any sort of majority thus it holds no greater or lesser weight. Some liked it, some were ambivalent to it as well. There was a whole host of opinions, and there's no way of telling which feeling was majority or if there even was a majority. Its impossible to tally, thus goofy to even argue.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-09-2017 at 06:56 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El