View Poll Results: Which Image comic was your favourite this week?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Birthright #22

0 0%
  • Black Science #28

2 8.70%
  • East of West #31

10 43.48%
  • Green Valley #5 (of 9)

3 13.04%
  • Moonshine #5

1 4.35%
  • Motor Crush #3

3 13.04%
  • Savage Dragon #220

2 8.70%
  • Snowfall #8

0 0%
  • Southern Cross #11

0 0%
  • Spawn #270

0 0%
  • Throwaways #5

0 0%
  • The Wicked + The Divine #26

2 8.70%

Default Image Comics poll week 6 - The Quant/Qual Equilibrium

Welcome everyone, this is our weekly Image poll thread. Basically we vote on our faves and chat about comics, very simple so you should join in!

And we're back! After last week's small amount of releases didn't promise much it turned out we shouldn't have judged some books by their cover. With strong issues of Walking Dead, Invincible and especially Deadly Class (which won the poll) we were shown once again how quality is more important than quantity.

But all that goes right out the window this week with its 12 releases! Let's do this: Black Science introduces a new major character, Green Valley passes the halfway point, and Throwaways begins a new storyline. That's it? Guess so, all other series are in the middle of storyline right now so perhaps not the best moment to jump on to any current issues. However there's a lot of quality series releasing this week so let's chat about them anyway!

With no new debuts out this week, I've signed an executive order to display both of the East of West covers here. The regular cover is cool and minimal with its sparse lines; the alternative cover is in celebration of Image's 25th year as a publisher and pays tribute to Rob Liefeld's series Glory.

269435.jpg 275933.jpg

Black Science and East of West for me. Going into this week, I would have said EoW hands down.. but I actually enjoyed Black Science more this week. Lots of chatting in East of West. Which wasn't BAD by any means. I just feel like more happened in BS.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Black Science and East of West for me. Going into this week, I would have said EoW hands down.. but I actually enjoyed Black Science more this week. Lots of chatting in East of West. Which wasn't BAD by any means. I just feel like more happened in BS.
    So correct me if I'm wrong here, but judging from the last few Black Science covers it seems like that series has really veered into superhero territory? I didn't continue with it after a few issues though so I mostly thought of it as a sci-fi kinda thing where they hopped around hostile dimensions constantly.

East of West was pretty good. Definitely wish I could read the next few issues and see where this one is taking us.

Black Science really lost me. God World was my least favorite arc. Felt like a big stall in the story. Even though the last issue of that arc was maybe one of my favorite issues of the series...? Thought that was a really good character pay off. The immediate arc after that was just not... I won't say it was bad, but I wasn't in to it.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    So correct me if I'm wrong here, but judging from the last few Black Science covers it seems like that series has really veered into superhero territory? I didn't continue with it after a few issues though so I mostly thought of it as a sci-fi kinda thing where they hopped around hostile dimensions constantly.
    At the moment, sort of, yes. The current arc, definitely. But there is still most likely going to be a lot of hopping going on.

Motor Crush by default for me, although I do absolutely love it so far. I haven't had a chance to read this issue though :P
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Fantastic Member Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

Motor Crush by default. It is the only one I am reading.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Southern Cross, while still explicable to someone who's read it from issue 1, has become pretty inexplicable for someone just picking it up; a very complicated storyline to me, without sympathetic characters to carry it forward, so while deserving, it doesn't get my vote this issue.

For me, that leaves Green Valley, and I'm Very Happy to've voted for it this week; it has taken the fairy-tale legendary knights story and folded it into a remarkable surprise. And it's still beautifully illustrated and well dialogued!
    Last edited by matt levin; 02-11-2017 at 11:40 AM.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Southern Cross, while still explicable to someone who's read it from issue 1, has become pretty inexplicable for someone just picking it up; a very complicated storyline to me, without sympathetic characters to carry it forward, so while deserving, it doesn't get my vote this issue.

For me, that leaves Green Valley, and I'm Very Happy to've voted for it this week; it has taken the fairy-tale legendary knights story and folded it into a remarkable surprise. And it's still beautifully illustrated and well dialogued!
    I seem to agree a lot with matt; have not tied green valley though; its East Of West in between; still kind of weird to vote for convoluted storylines like this issue-by issue though..

Moonshine #5 by a long shot.

Voted Green Valley. Really enjoying the medieval comic.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

Damn this is tough, great issues from East of West, Wic/Div and Moonshine... I'll have to read them again and then decide.

Edit - East of West. Thematically, character wise it's genius.
    Last edited by Doughy Man!; 02-13-2017 at 11:25 AM.
    “That’s right, I’m Doughy Man! Butter is my ally, steak does my bidding! Sour cream bows down before me in total abject terror!”

East of West got my vote.

WicDiv, Birthright, and Black Science were also very good. Moonshine was okay. Didn't even manage to finish this issue of Motor Crush. It has officially been dropped.

I need to re-read East of West. Maybe I was distracted while reading it or something.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Capuga--
    aint so medieval anymore...
    took me by surprise, that it did.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet