BANNED

Default New 52 Pre-Lemire Green Arrow: how could they have let that be so bad?

Wow. The story was bad and as generic as could be. The character didn't seem like himself at all. The art also didn't scream "brand spanking new universe!!!!".

What a $h1tty book. And apparently Nocenti was worse?!!

I bought issue #1 of the New 52's Green Arrow and did not like J.T. Krul's writing, but I enjoyed the art by Dan Jurgens with George Pérez. Yeah, it may have been a bit more traditional/"old school", but it was crisp, clean, and didn't make the story confusing.

On the other hand, for Lemire's run, I didn't enjoy the artwork by Andrea Sorrentino. His style worked on a moody book like I, Vampire, but his Oliver Queen often looked too young to me . . . more like a guy in his late-teens sometimes than somebody who I thought would have at least been closer to mid-twenties. I only bought a few issues, but sometimes Sorrentino's art made it a little harder for me to understand the story in those issues I read.

BANNED

I'm have to agree with MajorHoy - both had their plusses and minuses, but I really don't care for that Sorrentino/Jae Lee "muddy" art.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I bought issue #1 of the New 52's Green Arrow and did not like J.T. Krul's writing, but I enjoyed the art by Dan Jurgens with George Pérez. Yeah, it may have been a bit more traditional/"old school", but it was crisp, clean, and didn't make the story confusing.

On the other hand, for Lemire's run, I didn't enjoy the artwork by Andrea Sorrentino. His style worked on a moody book like I, Vampire, but his Oliver Queen often looked too young to me . . . more like a guy in his late-teens sometimes than somebody who I thought would have at least been closer to mid-twenties. I only bought a few issues, but sometimes Sorrentino's art made it a little harder for me to understand the story in those issues I read.
    Didn't Krul right the pre-flashpoint GA book? That was actually good!

I think its a mix of no one knew what to do with the character's new status quo which reminded me of what happened to Action Comics before Pak/Kuder. And it suffered from too much creator turnaround so there wasnt a whole lot of faith in it. It would have been interesting if Lemire/Sorrentino got to do the whole 52 issue run rather than a good chunk of it.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-16-2017 at 09:03 AM.

The couple of issues Keith Giffen wrote were not "$h1ttyy" or whatever. He wrote him as a gadget based hero just like the editors told him to.
    I have no beef with Vegans

Always Rakzo

I thought that Krul's New 52 Green Arrow stuff was okay. Not as good as his previous work but far from being the worst thing that I've seen at the beginning of the reboot (Mister Terrific comes to mind). Giffen's little arc was strangely mediocre considering that this is Giffen we're talking about and I was expecting a little more creativity at least. Then Nocenti arrived decently and became boring halfway (Still was way better than every other thing she wrote for DC after that).

Lemire's run was pretty much the direction the franchise should take. A bold new direction not forced by the past that explores new territory and expands the universe and mythology of the character. Is a crime that nobody followed on that properly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I thought that Krul's New 52 Green Arrow stuff was okay. Not as good as his previous work but far from being the worst thing that I've seen at the beginning of the reboot (Mister Terrific comes to mind). Giffen's little arc was strangely mediocre considering that this is Giffen we're talking about and I was expecting a little more creativity at least. Then Nocenti arrived decently and became boring halfway (Still was way better than every other thing she wrote for DC after that).

Lemire's run was pretty much the direction the franchise should take. A bold new direction not forced by the past that explores new territory and expands the universe and mythology of the character. Is a crime that nobody followed on that properly.
    Ok yeah Mr Terrific was pretty bad.

GA just felt so.....blah. Just generic superhero fare, which Green Arrow SHOULD'NT be. Ever.

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

Better after Lemire, but as I only really care for the traditional green arrow it just wasn't the same character, poor Ollie needs a Rebirth
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

It was just kinda there which is not good I think. Just bland kinda stories.