Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Why are You a Fan of.........Well...........Who your a Fan of in Marvel!?

We have Appreciation Threads, Discussion Boards, Popularity Contests, we have Arguments For-&-Against certain characters; But how long has it been when we just said to one another;

THIS is why I am a Fan of This Person or That Group/Team in Marvel and Here is Why!

I felt the time has been too long since we just layed it out WHY we Like who we Like and why out of ALL the Characters and Groups that Marvel has given us over the Years, THIS is why I like THIS Person/Group the most and why I am willing to base apart of who I am around celebrating and posting about them.

So Strait Forward.......WHY are You a Fan of Who you are a Fan of and their is No limit in how many you want to talk about!

Lay it all out so those that know and don't know you why you go for this Person/Group more then any other and why they mean the most to you!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Why is Kamala Khan my favorite superhero when we have all these big namers across decades of comic runs, movies, TV shows, games, and merchandise? I have gotten confused looks from some people when I tell them Ms. Marvel is my favorite superhero, when they expect someone from the Avengers, X-Men, or Spider-Man. I thought it over a bit, and I think this is the type of answer I can give here and when I need to explain why Ms. Marvel's my favorite.

A number of factors that I can relate to. First, she's a superhero fan looking up from the bottom of the totem pole. Very fitting as I observe and fanboy all of Marvel about what could happen and what is upcoming. Secondly, while I'm not Muslim, she is representative of how one can feel different from others. From a cultural standpoint I am Filipino and American, and so I can't fully commit or be just one or the other. I'm also a pop culture nerd when a lot of the people that surround me are not. And hey, Kamala's just as much as a gamer and nerd, too.

Kamala's story as a bit of an underdog in her own right that has only a decent deck in her favor when she has these expectations to fulfill as a person and superhero appeals to me because I can relate to her in a number of ways. I suppose I see a bit of myself in her.

Fantastic Member

Well, as silly as this might sound, I connected with Havok because I could relate to the whole younger brother being in the shadow of the older brother dynamic. It's frankly something that still resonates with me. Plus, I like the whole having to work for respect as a leader angle, when it wasn't overdone, because actually earning respect even after failing from time to time seems more meaningful to me than earning it simply because you're a natural at it, which is not to say those characters don't work their asses off, either.

Also, more often than not, Havok was a reluctant X-Man, and I tend to go for characters that go against the grain, at least in Marvel.

Archangel is simply me digging the whole Horsemen of Death story, as well as the visual of the character. Nothing really deeper than that, though I wish Joe Casey did more with the businessman angle he was working in his brief run on UXM.

I have other favorites in Marvel, but those are the two I can most easily explain.

You may be able to guess I'm a Fantastic Four fan. I got involved when I saw the cartoon back in the 60s. When I saw the comic, I picked it up, but had questions.

Why was Sue's hair orange?
    Why did they call her Crys?

I caught on fast, but if I could do it at age 8 without the internet, I figure people can do it now.

I kept up with them because I fell into the hype. I saw characters who fought, won, lost, didn't get along but loved each other. This was the comic book prelude to the brilliance of Breaking Bad's breakfast scenes and Tony Soprano's views on Orange Juice pulp. The characters were humanized and we saw them through more facets of their lives than we usually did with comic book heroes.

Mighty Member

I love my four favorites for the same reasons: They're unapologetic assholes who will do whatever they have to for their people. They're also all mutants.

Namor, Cyclops, Emma Frost, and Magneto.

I find Elektra's self-destructive tendencies and self loathing to be super relatable as well as her attempts at being better/fixing things, but often making things worse for herself in the process.

Roll that into a badass assassin, one of my favorite general types of character in fiction, and I'll always be a fan.

Niffleheim

I'm a fan of characters that are stoic, have faith or a cultish bent and i'm always fascinated by characters that always resurrect. So death or communion with the dead plays a part on why characters appeal to me.

That's why I love Storm, Thanos, T'Challa, Medusa, Thor, Inhumans, Adam Warlock, Daredevil, Norrin Radd etc
    Last edited by Tofali; 02-10-2017 at 01:50 PM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

I am a fan of She-Hulk for a number of reasons. She is a witty, smart, beautiful character who has a fantastic personality and sense of morality. Seriously in my opinion the best scene of CWII was her speech at the start of #0. That event really should have been She-Hulk vs Captain Marvel... Also, I love women in fiction who are strong butt-kicking fighters, and she is the perfect example of the trope. She can go toe-to-toe with the best of them. Plus I love how Jen actually looks strong, with muscles and everything. I am a bit dissapointed in how a lot of female warriors are kinda portrayed as just skinny.

Much of the above also counts for my second favorite character, Squirrel Girl. I love Carol too because of her sense of what being a hero means.

I'm a fan of many corners of Marvel. I grew up with the cartoons. DC has never been a part of my life so when I started reading comics some years ago, Marvel was my only option.
    I played catch-up for so long. Read so many comics published between 2004 and 2012 and I finally decided to start reading weekly.

I know some people will hate me for saying this but Avengers Arena was the first series I loved and it helped me get into comics evenmore. Also;

I love the X-Men.
    I love Emma Frost, Cyclops, Magik and Magneto.
    I love the Avengers.
    I love Hank Pym and Janet van Dyne.
    I love Fantastic Four.
    I love Spider-Man.
    I love so many characters.

Admittedly, I'm not a HUGE fan of the street level characters but I like them as well.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

The story and sense of adventure is what made me a fan of Marvel. My golden age is the 80s, but I love the stuff from the 60s, 70s and late 90s too.

As a little kid, I had a lot of trouble reading due to dyslexia. My cousin gave me a stack of comics made up mostly of X-Men, Spidey and Fantastic Four. The written words correlated to illustrated images proved a perfect methodology for assisting me in fostering compensatory skills. I ended up loving to read all sorts of different kinds of books, but comics (specifically Marvel Comics) remained my all time favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    So Strait Forward.......WHY are You a Fan of Who you are a Fan of and their is No limit in how many you want to talk about!
    Black Widow - Because Scarlett Johansson was a show stealer in The Avengers (2012) movie. Aside from Spider and X-Men, I didn't really care about Marvel before that movie hit.

Also, BuckyNat pairing. It was nice to see a healthy adult relationship where they support each other but still have their own lives, and where they feel comfortable with each other. It was cute the way they sometimes got to be all dorky together when they're at home.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

I am a huge fan of Pre-Disney Marvel because......... well because it was Marvel .
    It was the company that followed D C Comics for many decades until they found there
    voice in the early sixties and steadily built (perhaps) the greatest comic book line of
    books ever that would run into the 21st century.

Decades of great series from Fantastic Four and Amazing Spider-Man and Uncanny X-Men.
    and Invincible Iron Man and Incredible Hulk and Captain America.
    there was not waiting to see if a book would make it past a few issues or holding for
    trades, it was just buying the next new issue and than bagging and boarding and
    filing it away with ones large and ever growing collection all in a consistent Universe.

I am a fan of the X-Men from the 90's animated series. For a long time I couldn't decide if I preferred Superman or Wolverine as my favorite character, then X2 came out and Wolverine destroyed an entire black ops unit solo. I never looked back.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Mighty Member

I like Hank Pym because of his complexity.

I like Bucky partially because he's just cool, and partially because under all that coolness he's very much still that sidekick from WW2. He still very much wants to do good, and his friendship and loyalty to Steve is kind of inspiring for a character of his sort. In addition, BuckyxNatasha is the only adult Marvel relationship I have ever cared about and the only Marvel relationship I presently care about (Rip, MettlexHazmat/ReptilxFinesse).

I like Punisher because he is kind of a throw back to pulp comics in that he is largely anti-continuity. Punisher can get away with fighting completely new and different villains all the time. He can get away with not changing or evolving that much. His adventures can be read and understood in any order. It's a rare thing.

I like Blue Marvel because he's a character I got to watch grow. I got to watch him become a character with depth, lore, and variety. He's one of the few newer characters that have managed to stay above water (thanks Al Ewing), and I hope it stays that way.