Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I got into the comics because of the movies so they shape my views somewhat. Captain America; I'd always assumed was just some arrogant flag wearing patriotic blowhard with no character depth. Boy did the movie prove me wrong, the brilliant story writing and Evans' excellent performance turned him into my favourite superhero by a large margin! Unfortunately by the time I got into the comics they were just starting the god awful Captain Hydra arc we have now so until it inevitably gets retconned away it's just the movie version I like.

While I prefer the MCU to the X-Men movies the reverse is true in comics. The X-Men have hugely grown on me and even though some dismiss the current comics as not as good as the old stuff, I haven't experienced that myself and love the current iteration. The excellent characters and the handling of the metaphors for real world oppression of minorities are what drew me into the series and I am always excited to see what happens next.

Hawkeye because I've always had a weakness for characters who manage to keep up with those that have superior weapons or enhanced abilities just by pure skill.
    I like that even more when they acquired said skills out of their own free will instead of being forced.
    So that checks two boxes already.
    Furthermore: I like characters with flaw's, characters you can relate to but without them being a blank slate either.
    And last but not least: I like archery
    Last edited by Matternativ; 02-10-2017 at 07:46 AM.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Cyclops

Well for a start I like Cyclops because he isn't liked by many people. He starts off as just this kid who thinks he will always be alone and then falls in love with somebody that can empathise with him, which is probably the life story of every introvert ever. He is solid, thoughtful, tactical, and lets face it boring. I like that. When he steps out of line or acts up I am right there with him. When he drifts into what seem to be bad relationships I am again right there wishing him the best and knowing things won't work out.

That is the best thing about following Cyclops, things never quite work out. He is always struggling and never quite has a good day. When young Cyclops was brought forward I was super happy to see him. When old Cyclops died I was OK with it. Lets face, it Cyclops is stored away in Emma's head right now like The Search for Spock, so he isn't gone forever. Perhaps the worst thing about the first X-Men movie trilogy was the casting and writing of Cyclops.

I don't want to see perfect, tactical, heir of Charles, Cyclops. I want that guy that is weighed down by legacy and responsibility. The guy that makes bad choices out of sheer frustration. The guy that can't get on with his more extrovert brother and has been messed up by Sinister. He is just so tragic but strong with it.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 02-10-2017 at 08:05 AM.

I'm a fan of Sage beacuse she's extremely rational, a trait I would love to have myself! I strive to be a more rational person, so Sage is an inspiration!

That's why. Because he taught me that it didn't matter if I was stupid and ugly. Didn't matter that I wasn't the biggest and strongest. It mattered that I used what strength I did have to stand up for what's right. He got me through some very rough times and he continues to to this day.
    The Sidekicks Podcast made by comics newbies, for comics newbies.

Nova (Richard Rider) - I related to Rich because he was an awkward teen in school, and unlike Peter Parker, Rich wasn't a boy genius. Yet, no matter how badly he was treated, and how messed up his life was, Rich always tried to do the right thing.

Captain America (Steve Rogers) - How could you not look up to the man who held strong to a specific set of values that we can all aspire to? Not to mention, he led a group of super powered humans, and he had no powers!

Cyclops - Stuck with the burden of leadership at an early age, and then growing into the person who had to save all of his kind. Not to mention losing faith in his father figure/mentor, and continuing the original dream without him.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Nothing complex or philosophical reasoning about my choices. As a young kid just learning to read, naturally I was drawn to the strongest and toughest heroes which is how Thor and the Hulk became my favorites and I still remain a big fan of theirs to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I am a fan of the X-Men from the 90's animated series. For a long time I couldn't decide if I preferred Superman or Wolverine as my favorite character, then X2 came out and Wolverine destroyed an entire black ops unit solo. I never looked back.
    Same for me.
    X-Men The Animated series - the gateway for many an X-Men fan I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Cyclops

Well for a start I like Cyclops because he isn't liked by many people. He starts off as just this kid who thinks he will always be alone and then falls in love with somebody that can empathise with him, which is probably the life story of every introvert ever. He is solid, thoughtful, tactical, and lets face it boring. I like that. When he steps out of line or acts up I am right there with him. When he drifts into what seem to be bad relationships I am again right there wishing him the best and knowing things won't work out.

That is the best thing about following Cyclops, things never quite work out. He is always struggling and never quite has a good day. When young Cyclops was brought forward I was super happy to see him. When old Cyclops died I was OK with it. Lets face, it Cyclops is stored away in Emma's head right now like The Search for Spock, so he isn't gone forever. Perhaps the worst thing about the first X-Men movie trilogy was the casting and writing of Cyclops.

I don't want to see perfect, tactical, heir of Charles, Cyclops. I want that guy that is weighed down by legacy and responsibility. The guy that makes bad choices out of sheer frustration. The guy that can't get on with his more extrovert brother and has been messed up by Sinister. He is just so tragic but strong with it.
    You touched on a few reasons Cyclops is my fav - mostly from his similarities to me (or maybe just how I see myself )
    Introverted hero, never the life of the party but a dependable person that people can rely on.
    Tries to do the right thing, very loyal person and makes the hard choices even when he doesn't want to.
    Comes from a hard childhood that's made him quiet, introverted & standoffish (mine wasn't really that bad, especially in comparison)
    But at the same time has made him fiercely loyal once a person has his trust.
    Then as the years have gone on and different stories have added to Scott's back story there's been plenty added to make me like him more.
    Particularly Whendon's Astonishing run when Cyclops really comes in to his own.
    Probably too much info there.....

Gambit is another favourite of mine. But for different reasons.
    Gambit was the sort of person I'd have liked to have been when I was younger.
    Life of the party, charming, care free, do whatever he likes type character, but who tries to do the right thing.
    Throw in expert thief & fighter who flirts with all the girls and you have a winner.
    While not what I want to be anymore I can still appreciate all those qualities.
    Plus as the years have gone on Remy has had a lot of extra layers added to his personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap808 View Post
    Nova (Richard Rider) - I related to Rich because he was an awkward teen in school, and unlike Peter Parker, Rich wasn't a boy genius. Yet, no matter how badly he was treated, and how messed up his life was, Rich always tried to do the right thing.
    Didn't really like Nova until the Annihilation story and afterwards.
    He really stepped up to ultimate hero status there.
    Last edited by anthony_lynch15; 02-10-2017 at 01:58 PM.
    Trying to catch up on 2 years of Marvel comics.....
    Comic Book Parody - Funny comic book stuff.
    X-Men: Drama of the Atom - An unfinished Battle of the Atom parody.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Astounding View Post

That's why. Because he taught me that it didn't matter if I was stupid and ugly. Didn't matter that I wasn't the biggest and strongest. It mattered that I used what strength I did have to stand up for what's right. He got me through some very rough times and he continues to to this day.
    Great panel and a great post. Ben Grimm rules!

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

The Fantastic Four. Probably was drawn to them because they're a family, not just a group of characters who make up a team. Family is important to me. But they're also really cool and unique.

And Daredevil also appealed to me the most because he had a liability and turned it into a positive. It didn't hurt that my first Daredevil comics were from Miller's run. That was a nice introduction to the character.

And the X-Men are my faves as well because they were outcasts and still fought for not only themselves, but also for everyone. Even those who despised them. I found that to be an admirable quality. And the characters were just amazing.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I have always been fan of Wonder Man.
    When he was reintroduced to the Marvel Universe in the mid-70's I was just getting into comics.
    I liked the idea that he was strong and fast. Nothing fancy. Your average strong man. I just liked that.
    Plus I really dug this costume.
    fdaa768e63e17220670335c02eb5f1b4.jpg

X-men is all i really care about. I read other marvel stuff and a good story is a good story, like i like moon girl. But i only truly get excited for X-men comics.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Captain Marvel: My affection for Carol was cemented during Brian Reed's Ms. Marvel run, and fortunately she's retained the same core principles under subsequent writers (at least on her solo books). Carol is...a careful balance of qualities that ought to nullify one another. She has a well-honed moral compass and never fails to act on it, but is forever self-critical to the point of depression. She's an OCD perfectionist, but also prone to dozens of vices. She's incredibly smart, but too short-tempered to use that brain properly. And she has the confidence and poise to make all social interactions look effortless, but melts into a puddle of stammering awkwardness at the first sign of affection from others. A bunch of contradictory ideas that shouldn't work together but somehow do. Ultimately, Carol is the perfect leader in my eyes: always willing to lay down on the wire for others' sake, outwardly 100% confident in her ideals, but inwardly self-aware enough to always question if it's good enough.

Domino: Neena's also defined by contradictions, though with her it's less a matter of them working together and more being switched in and out according to necessity. She's a cocksure, mouthy show-off when she can get away with it, but when she can't, she switches gears and becomes cautious and all-business. She can express affection and sympathy and make friends fast, but if she has to drop that and deal you some cold, hard facts of life to make sure you live to see tomorrow, she will. More than that, I like that she's on the morally ambiguous 'antihero' spectrum but clearly has lines she won't cross, and that she treats sex like it's a game that doesn't have to be a big dramatic deal all the time. Plus she's maybe the most continuity-free X-Man ever. No long-winded summaries of power switching, parasitic identity change or byzantine relationship politics needed, just drop her in the story and away she goes.

Moon Knight: Sometimes I say that if 'superhero' wasn't an actual job in the Marvel U, someone would have to invent it for Captain Marvel because she couldn't feasibly be anything else. Moon Knight is the opposite of that. There is no-one less suited to be a superhero than Marc Spector, and that's what makes his varying-degrees-of-successful attempts at being one so alluring to me. He's too naturally violent to work with anyone more principled than the Punisher. His military background - the very thing that made people like Steve Rogers or Carol Danvers ideal picks for hero work - is filled less with glory and more with redacted ops and questionable conduct that left him unfit for anything more noble than a soldier of fortune's life, and even that he couldn't do right. His reasons for continuing to stay in the game are less about the good of the public and more based on an ultimately selfish need for spiritual redemption. He spent years of his career pretending to be a cab driver to creep on other peoples' business while wearing an unfathomably ugly fake moustache. He somehow never realized that his personal pilot of many years, a man with a curly (not fake!) 'stache, absolutely darling custom uniform with peaked cap, the most outrageous accent this side of 'Allo 'Allo and a marked tendency to jump in the line of fire for Marc without a single thought for personal safety or reward, might totally be gay for him. He had one of the most understanding, self-capable, helpful and (IMO) good-looking love interests of any male superhero, and succeeded only in pushing her away time after time. And his primary source of inspiration is a spooky bird-skull-head man that typically perches on his shoulder like a leprechaun with Ralph Wiggum, telling him to burn things. Moon Knight is a walking disaster and I love him for it.

Doctor Nemesis: Thing is -

...that, basically. That's ****ing why.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

I'm a fan of Shang-Chi. More specifically, I'm a fan of what Shang-Chi could be. As someone who is ethnically Chinese, majored in Chinese studies, and lived and work in China and Hong Kong, I know how wonderful Chinese culture is, particularly Kung Fu. With Shang, I see a character who can show that authenticity and greatness in the Marvel Universe. Plus, I do feel pride that one of the top fighters in the Marvel Universe, who has earned the respect of heroes like Captain America, Wolverine, and Black Panther, is Chinese. I like how his philosophical background grounds him. This calming demeanor and attitude that he has are needed, especially in the divisive world that is the Marvel Universe. His 40+ years of history have laid a good groundwork for amazing stories. Indeed, I was rereading Avengers World #3 a couple of days ago and welled up a bit because I was so proud that a Chinese character could have such cool moments.

Last edited by Tien Long; 02-10-2017 at 06:06 PM.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

As for other heroes:

I'm a huge Spider-Man fan. He was my first comic book subscription and have loved him ever since. As a kid, I simply liked him because he did lots of cool flips and tricks! Growing older, however, I appreciated his signature qualities of power and responsibility, and never giving up even when life didn't give him any breaks.

There are a couple of reasons why I'm a Captain America fan. Back during the mid to late 90s, the Capcom's Marvel Superheroes and the Amalgam crossover TPB showed me how cool this character was. He was a peak human who could go toe to toe with Batman and pull off amazing feats. At the same time, he was simply an ordinary man in an ocean of superheroes who commanded tons of respect. He has this down to earth dignity. He was forged in the fires of World War II, but still needed. I love those Cap stories where either the villain or the circumstances say that Steve is old-fashion and outdated, because Steve usually proves them wrong, through either a well-placed speech or a well-thrown indestructible shield.

Finally, I'm a huge fan of the Marvel street characters. Daredevil is badass pulp. Moon Knight is a fist of crazed vengeance. Ghost Rider is the spirit of vengeance. Punisher is a force of nature who launches a never-ending war on crime. Iron Fist taps into my love of martial arts and history and Luke Cage has become a respected leader who's still respected on the streets.

Also, all of these characters are tied to NYC. As someone who grew up close to the area, all of these characters remind me of one of the greatest cities in the world.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."