Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

Default Superman: How global should he be?

I've been thinking, and there is something I'm curious. is Superman crossing not only physical boundaries when he flies over to Istanbul to stop a war but moral boundaries as well? where does Superman limit himself? should he limit himself to the United States only?
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Netherman14 View Post
    I've been thinking, and there is something I'm curious. is Superman crossing not only physical boundaries when he flies over to Istanbul to stop a war but moral boundaries as well? where does Superman limit himself? should he limit himself to the United States only?

Personally , comics should reflect real life ,but not reference them , so 'flying to Istanbul' should be flying to Qurac , as its an established country in the DC mythos.
    Clark should be used to react to events , he goes where needed to save lives/prevent catastrophe.

The Justice League titles reflect this for me , the JL is a world spanning title , it takes what are heroes from all over the world , Clark , Diana , Arthur and the two Lanterns (note there are no Russian GL's or such but that is a Legacy of the writing, and could have been addressed in the reboots but wasnt) and puts them in world threatening situations.

As for morally , yes Clark should get involved, but again reacting , he is not a first strike option.

(Just hope he has a proper greencard to be allowed back in).

I say global, hes an alien activist who doesn't believe in boundaries to help people which would make the UN, some Militaries and various international criminals very angry at him for breaking rules rules and no one can force these rules on Superman because hes stronger then them. Having him save all over the world is good and making enemies of various backgrounds and powers is great for Superman's franchise.

Superman and the Justice League are already global at least as far as disaster relief and damage control when there are earthquakes, etc. Meddling with world governments, though? That's Injustice Superman.

I kinda prefer Superman to be guardian angel rather than benevolent dictator.

"Live as one of them, Kal-El, to discover where your strength and your power are needed. Always hold in your heart the pride of your special heritage. They can be a great people, Kal-El; they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you... my only son."
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Superman and the Justice League are already global at least as far as disaster relief and damage control when there are earthquakes, etc. Meddling with world governments, though? That's Injustice Superman.

I kinda prefer Superman to be guardian angel rather than benevolent dictator.

"Live as one of them, Kal-El, to discover where your strength and your power are needed. Always hold in your heart the pride of your special heritage. They can be a great people, Kal-El; they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you... my only son."
    I never really saw Injustice Superman or any of the other dictator Supermen as a good example of why Superman getting more involved was a bad idea. More of strawman argument so people wouldn't ask why he isn't more involved.

When I look at something like golden age Superman I see a guy who's mission statement is relatively simple where he's just trying to save as many lives as possible and make things easier for people. Sometimes he may have to butt heads with officials or what not but he certainly didn't seem to see status as reason to backdown from a conflict.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

Never. I say global. And there's a couple aspects to the issue: the one dealt with in BVS ("The world has been so caught up with what Superman can do that no one has asked what he should do."), and the importance that he, as a fictional character, has to people outside the US. He may have been created in the US as an answer to the great depression, but he has become a global icon. People around the whole world look up to and are inspired by Superman. The values he embodies, his powers, and the wild stories he stars in are loved by people of all countries, ages, religions and social status. Limiting his presence would make people feel disenfranchised.

Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 666MasterOfPuppets View Post
    Never. I say global. And there's a couple aspects to the issue: the one dealt with in BVS ("The world has been so caught up with what Superman can do that no one has asked what he should do."), and the importance that he, as a fictional character, has to people outside the US. He may have been created in the US as an answer to the great depression, but he has become a global icon. People around the whole world look up to and are inspired by Superman. The values he embodies, his powers, and the wild stories he stars in are loved by people of all countries, ages, religions and social status. Limiting his presence would make people feel disenfranchised.
    I personally agree, I think Superman should be global. I did want to ask the question regardless though.
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

I sort of see Superman having a Star Trek like prime directive sort of code. Help humanity where he can, but try not impose his will on masses of people. He'll interfere with the powerful imposing their will on others but only to a point. These questions make for some of the best Superman stories in my opinion. He's definitely a global hero. One of the things I really loved about Morrison's take was that Superman was quick to want to help everyone everywhere and the Justice League couldn't get behind his vision. Superman should always keep a bit of that sort of feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    I sort of see Superman having a Star Trek like prime directive sort of code. Help humanity where he can, but try not impose his will on masses of people. He'll interfere with the powerful imposing their will on others but only to a point. These questions make for some of the best Superman stories in my opinion. He's definitely a global hero. One of the things I really loved about Morrison's take was that Superman was quick to want to help everyone everywhere and the Justice League couldn't get behind his vision. Superman should always keep a bit of that sort of feeling.
    Yep, this for me, exactly. You were far more eloquent than I.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

not only global but also universal

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by w8in4kal-el View Post
    absolutely!!!!!

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

I personally agree, I think Superman should be global. I did want to ask the question regardless though.
    Glad you did. I think it's an interesting topic, what with the possible ramifications of "state-level" interventions, a la BVS/ For Tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by W8IN4KAL-EL View Post
    Damn right. Those interventions I talked about above could be taken to a whole new level if we talk about entire alien civilizations instead of countries. And hey, what about "secret countries"? I mean, we could add some conspiracy-themed stuff in there. In All-Star, we saw the reptilians living near the center of the Earth, for example. Secret alien bases, hollow Earth, you name it.
    Last edited by 666MasterOfPuppets; 02-16-2017 at 10:51 AM.

I think someone on the internet said that if there was like a genocidal dictator like Pol Pot, Superman would likely swoop in to save the victims and destroy the death camps, but wouldn't overthrow the dictator himself. Does that sound about right?

Quote Originally Posted by W8IN4KAL-EL View Post
    hell this is dc, he'd be multiversal
    Last edited by FishyZombie; 02-16-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Astonishing Member

Superman is interesting because way, way early in his history he was already going like ... all the places. Stopping urban local crime in Metropolis, stopping Nazis in Europe, going to space to stop space tyrants, ultimately going extra-dimensional or higher-dimensional to stop alt-universe menaces and higher-dimensional abstract threats.

There's certainly no "area limit" on the notion of one guy who dislikes bullies and tyrants and how expansive the scope of those ideals can get. But obviously if you're having Superman go multiversal every issue you don't have much time to flesh out or develop his supporting cast who are mostly native to Metropolis. And while 'multiverse threats' are sort of 'everyday' for Superman, when stuff like the multiverse or higher power fifth-dimensional beings or even space tyrants come to town, it should definitely merit more "story" beats than just an alien lands and a slug-fest ensues.

Alien invasions start with X-Files conspiracies perfect for a crusading journalist. Multiversal infringement has all those great Fringe type things that can happen. God-beings touching down on earth to fight god-wars need some serious lead-up time (like Kirby's build-up to the Super-War).
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Superman should be global and so should be his family of supportive characters.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"