Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Superman is interesting because way, way early in his history he was already going like ... all the places. Stopping urban local crime in Metropolis, stopping Nazis in Europe, going to space to stop space tyrants, ultimately going extra-dimensional or higher-dimensional to stop alt-universe menaces and higher-dimensional abstract threats.

There's certainly no "area limit" on the notion of one guy who dislikes bullies and tyrants and how expansive the scope of those ideals can get. But obviously if you're having Superman go multiversal every issue you don't have much time to flesh out or develop his supporting cast who are mostly native to Metropolis. And while 'multiverse threats' are sort of 'everyday' for Superman, when stuff like the multiverse or higher power fifth-dimensional beings or even space tyrants come to town, it should definitely merit more "story" beats than just an alien lands and a slug-fest ensues.

Alien invasions start with X-Files conspiracies perfect for a crusading journalist. Multiversal infringement has all those great Fringe type things that can happen. God-beings touching down on earth to fight god-wars need some serious lead-up time (like Kirby's build-up to the Super-War).
    This.. I so much agree with this.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

I was just re-reading Superman Rebirth.

Superman (2016) #7

Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Pretty global I'd say. However, I don't think it always needs to be about him stopping some dictator. The idea that the main drive for Clark going world wide is to be some commentary on how other notions are fumbling about and need a good natured American who can punch, rubs me the wrong way as an American myself. I don't like the idea of only deciding to go to other nations in order to impose one man's specific view on it or just to show how impoverished said nation is. This being a work of fiction, that comes off as a little condescending, in my opinion.

Superman should enjoy going to other nations as both Superman and Clark, and we as the reader should get to see a more complete and less totally Eurocentric/western view of said nations (fictional or otherwise).

Why can't there be small stories where Superman helps out a budding superhero in Dubai? Why can't there be strange stories where Clark Kent covers a story about a team of Russian scientist who have stumbled onto the tomb of the first known Russian Pharaoh right under the city of Vladivostok? Or a fun slice of life story where Clark and his family take a trip to Johannesburg, and the three of them have very different and strange times? What about a story where Jimmy talks Clark into helping him make a documentary about alien sightings being reported in Benin‎, but Clark finds out that the truth is linked to one little girl, and he must decide if he wants to expose her or not?

I'm a firm believer that his cast and life in Metropolis should be at the forefront, but that fact does not stop him from being global.

So yeah, global, but with a far more open mind in regards to what that means.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-19-2017 at 03:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Pretty global I'd say. However, I don't think it always needs to be about him stopping some dictator. The idea that the main drive for Clark going world wide is to be some commentary on how other notions are fumbling about and need a good natured American who can punch, rubs me the wrong way as an American myself. I don't like the idea of only deciding to go to other nations in order to impose one man's specific view on it or just to show how impoverished said nation is. This being a work of fiction, that comes off as a little condescending, in my opinion.

Superman should enjoy going to other nations as both Superman and Clark, and we as the reader should get to see a more complete and less totally Eurocentric/western view of said nations (fictional or otherwise).

Why can't there be small stories where Superman helps out a budding superhero in Dubai? Why can't there be strange stories where Clark Kent covers a story about a team of Russian scientist who have stumbled onto the tomb of the first known Russian Pharaoh right under the city of Vladivostok? Or a fun slice of life stories where Clark and his family take a trip to Johannesburg, and the three of them have very different and strange times from one anther? What about a story where Jimmy talks Clark into helping him make a documentary about alien sighting reported in Benin‎, but Clark finds out the truth is linked to one little girl, and he must decide if he wants to let expose her or not?

I'm a firm believer that his cast and life in Metropolis should be at the forefront, but that fact does not stop him from being global.

So yeah, global, but with more of an far more open mind in regards to what that means.
    Very interesting points, man.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Clark's mostly an American guy who's stories are based around the US. That's what they've always been. Nothing wrong with him doing stuff elsewhere, whether around the world or the universe itself, but in the end Clark's about the Daily Planet, his wife, his kid, and the city of Metropolis. Metropolis is his home, the same way Gotham is Batman's, and Flash is Central City.

He's the farmer in the big city.

That doesn't mean he's "only American", it just mean you shouldn't ignore the roots of his character, and where his home is. He has the nickname Smallville for a reason.