Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    The family life wasn't earned? Pardon me, but.. how do you figure? They've been married since 1996. Marriage and a family life isn't "the end of the story" as Jim Lee once said, it's a step in the journey.

As for taking over the others' lives - I'll agree on the Lois part, that is being done in a weird way so far.. but Superman has made no attempt to take over; he's said often that they're different, even if they're ultimately the same person.

On the larger topic.. I like where things are, but I certainly would like for New52-Superman's fan to have him back as well. I know how it felt to lose "my" Superman and have the company basically take turns pissing on him on the way out, and nobody deserves to feel that way. So his fans certainly have my sympathies.
    I think he means right now.

As for me, yes I do want him back. But I think that's highly improbable and it looks like a merger is coming. Superdad is going to fully take over Superbro's life.

OP - I honestly don't care one way or another.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

DC Comics Historian

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    OP - I honestly don't care one way or another.
    My sentiments exactly to the OP. My only question would be why the hell kill him if they were just going to bring him back permanently? I think he will be back in some form as Lois basically spoke to him. What bothers me about that storyline is it reminds me of the BS we got in Infinite Crisis with Kal-L talking to Lois saying how Earth 2 wasn't really destroyed and then that never being actually touched upon.

Astonishing Member

Not really I guess. or at least it's not a major concern. Initially I was intrigued by the idea of two fairly different Superman living on the same Earth with different motives, methods, friends, and down times. The farmers son Superman and the man of the people/ cosmic adventurer contrast could have been interesting in my eyes, but 2013 forward it felt like DC was quickly trying to get N52 Superman to a sort of redux of Post-Crisis Superman and when Post-Crisis came back there wasn't a whole lot differentiating them besides marital status and Post-Crisis having a better defined history. As far as characterization goes I'm pretty good with where the character is, he at least has the general confidence befitting someone wearing the cape with the human stuff cut to a minimum and none of the mopey BS.

Though I won't lie, in 2011 I saw flashpoint as a mercy kill for Post-crisis. Dude was a ninny and after a few years of reading golden age are Superman stuff I was ready to get back to a Superman that left me saying "Hell Yeah!" with how he resolved the main conflict of the book rather than going "Well okay then." A more assertive and proactive Superman I guess.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

BANNED

Wow just thought of another crazy scenario for all of you to chew on.howaboit if nuperman came back as a ghost like new 52 Lois is to Lana,but nuperman is a ghost for superdad.Now that would be weird but cool at the same time,we could see him every issue,and in his suit,but superdad would still be superman and have his life.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    I'm going to say this as someone who enjoyed a lot of things about Nuperman but no, I don't want him back. I liked bringing back the social crusader into his viewpoint. I like the return to the pre-crisis idea of the Kents being dead. In a lot of the Pak stories, you certainly couldn't tell the difference between Nuperman and Post-Crisis Superman. They behaved in the same way. There were some really good things about Nuperman.

However, Nuperman was indicative of what's really holding Superman back as a franchise, stagnation. No one wanted yet another Superman origin but sure enough, we got one. With Grant Morrison! Yay! That makes it ok, right? People wanted a more assertive and leader Superman. Though Nuperman was younger and still learning the ropes. He was largely a non-entity in those early JL stories. Hitting the reset button on Superman was regressive. We've all seen the various year one style stories or read the various origins. New 52 just retread that same old ground. Slapping on a new relationship with Wonder Woman seemed like change for the sake of change. It didn't yield much in the way of story outside of Soule's run. So we get more origins. We get more first encounters with whatever villain. The cool Golden Age sensibilities weren't enough to make up for no new direction. What was supposed to be a big change ended up being more of the same old same old.

So while I don't particularly care for how we got here, with one Superman seeming to replace another, it's at least a return to that forward momentum. Characters have to be allowed to grow. A Superman who is perpetually single, an outsider, and a clumsy reporter will just get stagnant. Even Marvel knew that their most popular character, Spider-Man, couldn't stay in high school forever. Now Peter is a high tech business mogul with his own company and Spider-Man is still wildly popular. So exploring the idea of a married Superman with a family is actually some forward progress. It's actually a new idea that hasn't been explored in mainstream Superman comics. We have a few Elseworlds here and there or an imaginary tale. Though it was never really official until recently. Readers expect some progress. If they open a Superman comic from today and one from 50 years ago and get the same story, they lose interest. So while it may not be a popular opinion around here, Superdad is actually progress. A natural progress that the audience has come to expect and in some cases goes looking for. I personally have no desire to lose that progress in favor of going back to the reset button again. Sure, some people will say that Nuperman had some real potential. Him and every other version of Superman. The current direction is actually doing something different with the character and the stories are both popular and well reviewed. When was the last time we had that with Superman comics?
    Never really understood the 30 years of stories and progress stuff. He had 30 years but had progressed into a dullard with no particularly strong characteristics.

I was reading golden age stories in 08-09 and loving it and those had little continuity between them. The bigger question should be what was his characterization like, were his stories fun, was the character doing right by the title of Superman. Give me an assertive and driven Superman over a meandering and confused Superman anyday. Quite frankly, driven and assertive should be bare minimum characteristics for Superman but they were absent in the character towards the end of the post-crisis era, so yeah when your character has basically become something else I'd say that's grounds for dismissal and a hard look at what makes Superman the character that he is.
    Last edited by The World; 02-10-2017 at 05:31 PM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I never thought in my entire lifetime that could ever be a situation where Superman couldn't come back. Strange times we're living in.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Speaking as someone who was a big Nuperman fan, I've mostly made peace with the fact that he isn't coming back. The whole appeal of the New 52 was the hard reboot aspect. The idea that the entire DCU was getting a fresh start. That's mostly been thrown out the window in the last year and a half. And, yes, editorial is mostly to blame for that for squandering an opportunity to start again. New 52 was an experiment that mostly failed, sadly. And I don't think it is any one thing or one person that is responsible. I think the best we can hope for is that he and Superdad merge and he retains his memories. I hope DC gives us Nuperman fans that much at least. My preferred solution is Nuperman coming back and taking up a new identity with another team or something. Have him be the Justice League Superman. While Superdad gets to keep the main books. Or send him off to his "real" universe that just so happens to be the New 52 universe.
    Assassinate Putin!

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Never really understood the 30 years of stories and progress stuff. He had 30 years but had progressed into a dullard with no particularly strong characteristics.

I was reading golden age stories in 08-09 and loving it and those had little continuity between them. The bigger question should be what was his characterization like, were his stories fun, was the character doing right by the title of Superman. Give me an assertive and driven Superman over a meandering and confused Superman anyday. Quite frankly, driven and assertive should be bare minimum characteristics for Superman but they were absent in the character towards the end of the post-crisis era, so yeah when your character has basically become something else I'd say that's grounds for dismissal and a hard look at what makes Superman the character that he is.
    Thankfully the guy currently isn't the weak willed wimp who needed to go away.

Again though, that change could have occurred with better writing. To be fair, Nuperman could also have been redeemed with better writing and world building too. It's a shame they didn't, but it is what it is.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I never thought in my entire lifetime that could ever be a situation where Superman couldn't come back. Strange times we're living in.
    Very true. That's one of major reason I like to see him back. Superman has come back from everything.

I also wanted to know how they were going to proceed with a fully powered Clark being known as superman. What path would he take? He was seriously weakened when his secret was revealed.

Super dad getting his old life, this new fake Clark will be his gateway in. I wonder how he Nd Lois will adobt under the real personas
    Last edited by Shriveling_memo; 02-10-2017 at 06:51 PM.

I do. I have from the start. I just know its not going to happen anymore. At least not as a separate entity having his own adventures.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I did not like the stories for New 52 Superman.
    it was like D C had to show how this and the other Superman where so much alike that
    they even had the same basic epic battles and had to show them .....a gain
    but than they had to have the man cross overs between books to get the story finished
    quickly so they could re-tell another pre-Flash Point Superman story featuring
    New 52 Superman, again using both Action Superman comics and basically letting
    Greg Pak go to waste (imho).

I do like SuperMom much better than New 52 Lois Lane, and there son is far better
    to play Superboy than what I saw in the New version, a version that sucked out any
    life from its own solo series and greatly infected the Teen Titans (again imho).

I actually like New 52 Supergirl more than the current Supergirl.
    Not sure if they are actually different or the same, but (for me) New 52 Supergirl
    was fun to read and this Rebirth Supergirl book boring....... so far.

As much as I thought the new 52 Superman stories I read were a good origin story for a Superman who would become the Superman I was used to in the pre-flashpoint DCU, I'd much rather read about the Superman I knew growing up. Having him married to Lois with a son felt like the perfect extension of the Superman I was used to.

It's very much a case of liking where we ended up but not liking how we got there. I don't like unceremoniously killing off New 52 Superman and New 52 Lois like that just so my preferred versions of the characters could take their places. This Superman doesn't feel like part of the universe he lives in. He's a Superman with an asterisk next to him. I'm hoping that Superman reborn clears up his place in the universe organically.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Superman did come back. He's currently staring in the Superman books. New 52 Superman will just end up as a part of him, meaning neither really ever left.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

I want him back too, but I've just given up hope. It looks like there will be a merger of sorts but bottom line, it'll just be Superdad primarily moving forward with nu Supes history tacked on. Seriously sucks believe me but at the very least he wasn't a fake.