Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Yep. I don't get how anyone can look at Nuperman and say it was progressive and then say Superdad is this huge regression. The only way that could be considered true is if you think who Superman is romantically involved with is a litmus test . If he's casually dating Wonder Woman ( which was done from time to time in canon PreCrisis it's progress. If he's with Lois Lane , no matter the context , it's automatically regression.

Now, after the last few years of the crap we got preFlashpoint, I was open to some regression if it meant getting the character and his mythos in order. However,it ultimately wasn't worth chucking away 30 years worth of stories and character development to get Grant's run, because what followed was just as bad overall as the last few years prior to the reboot. As much as I've grown to dislike the Byrne reboot and how it tossed away the previous 48 years of stories, at least what followed was a decade of strong quality and memorable stuff. It still didn't justify the reboot then but it made that bitter pill easier to swallow.

I'm not a fan of reboots in general. It was wrong in 1986. It was wrong in 2011.
    The "either/or" approach is always wrong. None of the failures of the pre-Flashpoint DCU were beyond being salvaged with the kind of writing and editorial cohesion we're seeing now. There's not ONE New 52 title that wouldn't have done just as well (in fact, I believe they would have done far better) without the hard reboot.

Superman did come back. He's currently staring in the Superman books. New 52 Superman will just end up as a part of him, meaning neither really ever left.
    My thoughts exactly.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Given that Nuperman is most likely just a creation of Oz I don't see him coming back as a main hero, but maybe in a fight with Supes or something like that... just have to wait & see I guess.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Superman did come back. He's currently staring in the Superman books.
    Uhm, no. I'm talking about the Superman that died in Final Days. His doppelganger from another timeline doesn't count as him returning. I'm not a fool.

New 52 Superman will just end up as a part of him, meaning neither really ever left.
    ie. new 52 Superman get erased from existence so he doesn't really ever left because he never existed. Good for Superdad and his fans.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 02-11-2017 at 05:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    Given that Nuperman is most likely just a creation of Oz I don't see him coming back as a main hero, but maybe in a fight with Supes or something like that... just have to wait & see I guess.
    There's less indication by the day that he's a creation of Oz. He's either half of the full Superman (the Superman Red/Blue callback), or they're the same man from different time periods. Those are pretty much the only options at this point based off the hints the stories have given. There hasn't been an indication that New 52 Superman was a creation of Oz since Johns' original run that introduced the character. And considering that was a few years ago now, to me that takes a back seat to all these new hints.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I want New 52 Superman back even if in another world where he gets to keep his life. Only then will I be picking up a Superman comic again. Superdad has been forced in and after getting used to and invested in new 52 Clark I really have no time nor energy for Mr El or White or whatever he is called. Bottomline is, I don't want to read a Super DaD right now, simple as that, and that is what he essentially has been mainly- playing dad to his kid. His Rebirth JL and Trinity adventures have been nothing worth writing home about and Rebirth Action Comics is just blah as well.

Oh the this new 52 Superman is Superdad thing. You all know he is not. There are so many stupid plot holes that DC keeps contriving that only those who don't care how Superdad stays are willing to have him usurp a whole different version and swallow it. Would you want that with Val or Keenan or Kal Ellis or KC or red Son or any other version? Wipe them out? I doubt it. DC should not interfere with new 52 either. He was created fairly. He sold books. He had his own origin and history and it is a lazy cheat to steal it away from him. It would be a real injustice if this version does not survive yet versions who can't even carry a title for months get to. Having new 52 Superman does not stop DC from allowing Superdad to have a title. People care about him just as much and I for one still consider him the most updated version that I really liked and he prob will be the only one in canon for a while to come judging by the writers on Rebirth. The same problems will continue before the reboot if Superdad steals his life. Because many of them who liked pre ne 52 are not able to write very good Superman stories and they are the ones around from Jurgens to Johns etc. When Superdad has not been playing dad he has not been in any good story in Rebirth. That alone should be a warning sign when the novelty of Jon goes away what then? How do you create a good stories around a guy who has done most everything and achieved most everything and really nothing much to learn and grow and do since according to DC he is the best and he has the best life blah blah.

I'll take the younger one with the Golden Age vibes than the safe and comfortable so called "real" one for fresh stories any day.
    Last edited by hellacre; 02-11-2017 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post

ie. new 52 Superman get erased from existence. Good for Superdad and his fans.
    They don't even give new 52 Superman a chance to come back or have a story when they wipe him out. They just cheat their way in. Talk about unfair and lazy and shortsighted. When pre new 52 ended those versions got their great send off into the sunset. You knew their stories stood and happened. This is such a awful way for anyone to start as a Superman fan if you jumped on with new 52. DC have no interest in making the Superman fandom wider and capitalizing on what they gained with the new 52 and based on recent analysis by Comic Beat and the recent Bleeding Cool stories confirming that Rebirth was not as big a hit as DC thought it would be...I can just conclude they are simply hoping retcons and new uniforms will bring in the revenues until the next retcon and relaunch and convoluted mess.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    They don't even give new 52 Superman a chance to come back or have a story when they wipe him out. They just cheat their way in. Talk about unfair and lazy and shortsighted. When pre new 52 ended those versions got their great send off into the sunset. You knew their stories stood and happened. This is such a awful way for anyone to start as a Superman fan if you jumped on with new 52. DC have no interest in making the Superman fandom wider and capitalizing on what they gained with the new 52 and based on recent analysis by Comic Beat and the recent Bleeding Cool stories confirming that Rebirth was not as big a hit as DC thought it would be...I can just conclude they are simply hoping retcons and new uniforms will bring in the revenues until the next retcon and relaunch and convoluted mess.
    I still can't believe that there is the chance that they are so unprofessional and stupid to replace Superman with a doppelganger from a dead timeline who spent 10-11 years out of his original reality. It's so dumb even just to mention it.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    Yeah,the previous version got a great send off...A year where he moped across America after two years of bad stories just to have a three page " happy ending' tag simply to push them off the stage for new 52. He ended in a whimper. Pre Crisis Superman got a proper send off. Post Crisis didn't.

I agree that they shouldn't have done New 52 Superman fans wrong in the way they did, and perhaps Rebirth as a whole hasn't done quite as well as DC hoped, but let's face it, if New 52 Superman was selling gangbusters, we wouldn't be here. Simple as that. Sales before TRUTH may not have been terrible, but they certainly weren't great and while New 52 Superman certainly did have potential,DC didn't seem to want to even try. older fans like me who were still smarting over how the previous version was pissed on the last few years but were willing to give a new direction a chance was growing impatient with all of this ' new potential.' I was waiting and waiting and 5 years in ACTION COMICS was the only truly consistent book of the lot, and only due to two writers who did do good stuff when they weren't sucked into pointless never ending gimmicks to prop up sales. SUPERMAN outside of an issue here and there was consistently crap. Only the first year of SM/ WW was readable. BATMAN/ SUPERMAN was just OK but could have easily starred The previous Superman. he was barely a non entity in Justice League until the last year when Luthor joined and the less said about the Superboy and Supergirl books, the better.i mean we lost 30 to 50 plus years of stories being thrown in the trash for mostly MORE mediocrity without the benefit of the characters and history I had enjoyed for 20 years. I finally gave up with TRUTH. If everything was the quality of Morrison, Pak and Soule's first year, you'd have a leg to stand on. But you don't. New 52 Superman wasn't as successful as you want to claim. He could have been fixed, and he should have been, but DC chose another path. Perhaps a safer path as you say, but risk without reward wasn't doing Superman any favors either.

And if you haven't read the books like you claim, you can't claim that REBIRTH Superman hasn't been in good stories. You are merely going off of like minded ' not my Superman' opinions of people who are already inclined to hate it. Many reviewers disagree with you, and most Superman readers disagree with you. Supermsn comics are getting better reviews than he's had in several years. Yes, even many who joined with the New 52. I've seen many posters here and elsewhere saying " hey, I joined with new 52, and I miss him, but I also like the current guy. I'll stick around!" What about them? Aren't they " new" fans. Not to mention many readers who were coaxed back after 5 years. Sales may not be gangbusters but they are still respectible.

Rebirth Superman will live or die by the quality of stories. If they are quality he will persevere. If not ,he and his family will join Nuperman in the dust bin and DC will do something else. As it perhaps should be. Let's just hope whatever reboot or new direction they decide on is better thought out, planned and executed than New 52 Superman.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 02-11-2017 at 07:20 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

I kept hearing about New 52 Superman being a charather to attract new and young people, but the bulk of his fans seems to be older reader that were
    a) Dissapointed with the direction of the Superman line in the last 2 years (or more) before the reboot and were hoping for a new take that hopefully wouldn't screw things up this time
    or b) Older fans that really missed a more Pre-Crisis aka "classic" take on the characther.
    About him being for younger people and having more room to grow, the dude was Superman for at least 10 years and was like 33 when he die, that isn't exactky scream young and wild.

I'm not saying that he didn't atract new people, he did, but they weren't the majority.

It's good to see some reasonable discussion on this thread, because the last time I tried to explain why I want the REAL Superman back, some people here replied with some peculiar arguments, like "decades of convoluted continuity is essential for good storytelling" or "I don't care for new readers, as long as I have MUH SUPERMAN back".
    Last edited by Thomas Crown; 02-11-2017 at 08:39 AM.
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

I very much would like to see him back, whether it be in his own new world or the current one, but that possibility seems slim to none at the moment. If he does come back, I would like to see him get a fair shake under a writer that wants to write him and would treat the character with respect.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crown View Post
    It's good to see some reasonable discussion on this thread, because the last time I tried to explain why I want the REAL Superman back, some people here replied with some peculiar arguments, like "decades of convoluted continuity is essential for good storytelling" or "I don't care for new readers, as long as I have MUH SUPERMAN back".
    Well, as far as I'm concerned, the only Superman that can be called " real" is either the Pre Crisis one or Kal-L, and frankly, I'd trade both Nuperman and Superdad for either or both of them, but that's likely never gonna happen.

As someone who has been reading for a long time,my allegence isn't to sales or a particular version but good solid stories, decent artwork and a clear concise plan and direction. The last being perhaps more important because you can build the most lovely huge and intricate castle, but if the foundation is made from lime green jello it ain't going to matter. It'll collapse. Nuperman was that beautiful house. DC editorial was the jello. Instead of putting in the hard work to build a new version of the character, they just threw crossover after crossover at him, then jumped the shark with TRUTH and fracked things up to the point that no matter even if they never were going to bring preFlashpoint Superman back or bring in Jon, there would have to be some level of timey whimmy shenanigans, mind wipes, body doubles, whatever , to get the character back to anything resembling a stable, more standard Superman status quo.

We all know the secret ID wasn't going away forever. We all know eventually Superman was going to be Clark Kent, mild mannered reporter again. It would have been nice to play with the idea of Clark Kent being outed as Superman and him trying to be that for a couple years, but TRUTH/Savage Dawn pretty much shit the bed and make sure that it wore out it's welcome to the point that people just wanted the whole thing swept under the rug by any means necessary. I think the reaction you are referring to has more to do with that.

I don't necessarily think killing Nuperman and swapping Supermen as they did was the answer, but it was either that or another sudden reboot or Nuperman altered so suddenly and drastically many of the hardcore Nuperman fans would still have been upset. I finally quit reading Superman after being on board through bad and good for 20 plus years with TRUTH. Honestly,if I hadn't heard about REBIRTH and the rumbling of a clean sharp break, from what we've had, I've would have not returned. I wasn't alone judging from the plummeted sales.

I know I keep repeating myself, but if Nuperman was as successful as some here want people to believe, we wouldn't have seen all of this. The narrative that Nuperman was doing so well and gaining legions of new fans who were in love with him until mean ol' Dan Jurgens and Geoff Johns destroyed him is false. He was doomed I think the moment Grant Morrison left with ACTION #19. It was a slow, painful death. I think TRUTH was a hail Mary pass that was so poorly bungled that it was just the final nail in the coffin and hastened his demise. It's sad, and I feel bad for his fans because I actually was one of the older fans who started out wanting to hate it, fell a little bit in love with it, then had to watch him slowly be undone to the point I started to miss the other guy during Truth, when I finally decided enough was enough.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 02-11-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Liked Nuperman's Morrison start and his increased power levels ... and that was about it. Lousy with his Superfam and his human supporting cast got butchered in favor of WW and the Justice League. If the upcoming Reborn Superman gets Nuperman's full power levels, then great.

New52 Superman is by far my favorite incarnation of Superman, and I want him back.

Fantastic Member

Oh, I can tell OP hasn't been here very long.

I don't want him to come back, but not out of hate. New 52 Superman, as was executed, should have been an Elseworlds story. The work wasn't done to rebuild the character's world like was done in the post-Crisis years - too much of it relied on all the history it supposedly eliminated to draw any kind of response, and too much of the new stuff wasn't Superman. You saw both those problems come to a head in TRUTH. That's aside from all the stories that were just bad. I'm not going to say there weren't some interesting concepts, because there were. But it was obvious throughout that there wasn't a real plan for how to do the reboot, just that they were going to do it.

The only story from the era that will carry any real weight in the future is Morrison's Action run, but even that may be only as a story, since we don't yet know how it will fit with the status quo after Reborn. The only concept that is going to linger is the Wonder Woman shipping, and honestly, that's a terrible reason to keep the character going.