Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (SPOILERS)

I love the first Amazing Spider-Man and was looking forward to this one but sadly, it was a mixed bag...quite a let down really.

Pros

Fantastic actions and visual effect. The action scenes were awesome, really got my heart pumping, from Spider-Man movement, creative uses of webs, Electro attacking, they were really exciting to watch.

BGM. The BGM fits the movie perfectly, especially that Electro theme.

Gwen's death. The best part of the movie imo. Even though I knew it coming, it hit hard. It was beautifully shot, from the slow motion, subtle BGM and that sound when she hit the ground. Well done.

Cons

Story. What story? From the trailers, I expected Spidey piecing the puzzles of his parents' disappearances, Electro, Harry's return until he can find the truth about the Osborn conspiracy. But what we got were a series of events that happened, just because. No central story arc linking together...and Peter just sat on his ass waiting things to happen.

Gwen Gwen Gwen. Too much Peter and Gwen moment. I love the pairing in the first movie, they were cute and natural. But this? We have Peter and Gwen moment almost every 10 minutes and it's the same old "I love you Peter/Gwen, but I can't do this" dance. The worst part is those moments were in the wrong place and could have been cut to have a more coherent plot flow. I could hear people groan when another Gwen moment showed up. This overwhelming Gwen moment lead to....

Peter Parker the jerk. All he had in his brain was Gwen (and his dad when the plot called for it), he did nothing else beside that. Peter recognized Electro as the loser he met and something happened to him. But no follow up investigation. He knew that Harry was dying, but he did nothing but rejected him twice in both identities. I know Peter's blood might cause trouble (and he was right), but the way the film showed, it's like Peter didn't even bother to try anything at all. All he had in his brain was Gwen.

As a Spider-Fan, I gave this film 7/10, so much potential...wasted. As a casual movie goer, I would give this 5, 6 top....

What a let down. I can only pray the third movie will be much much better

Yeah I was let down also, like you said the action scenes. Both villains were big let downs, a better sub plot for the villains would have helped the movie a lot. The death scene was really well done but I was so let down with the story that I really just did not care at the end. I did like the tease at the end for the Sinister Six but in the scene with Rhino shooting at the cops and all those people just standing around watching this gun fight just made no sense the cops would move everyone far away from the shoot out.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    I did like the tease at the end for the Sinister Six but in the scene with Rhino shooting at the cops and all those people just standing around watching this gun fight just made no sense the cops would move everyone far away from the shoot out.
    Yeah, I know Spidey needs crowd reaction to his return, but those people really were standing there watching a rampaging robot, not running away like they're supposed to.

But I really like Spidey's line to the Rhino, which is his only genuinely funny jokes in the whole movie imo:

"On behalf of the fine people of New York, and real rhinos everywhere, I ask you to please put your mechanized paws in the air"

Spectacular Member

I went to see it tonight, and was disappointed (Spider-Man 2 is my favorite). I don't like the fact that every single villain in the two movies so far leads back to Oscorp. The Harry plot felt rushed to me, and Norman only showing up for about 2 minutes was disappointing. How did he survive into his 60's, but Harry acted like he'd be dead in a week? Also, Peter came across as way too wishy washy to me. The last half hour was pretty good though, and I liked Electro. Plus, living in Rochester, it was interesting recognizing some spots where they filmed during the movie.

WOW! I'm surprised so many of you were disappointed. Maybe you were expecting something completely different than what you got? Because I absolutely LOVED IT! I found it to be the BEST Spider-Man movie to date, and now within my top 3 Marvel movies, along with iron Man 1 and Avengers. I was afraid there was going to be too much going on in this one, but they made it work for me. I was really attached to this movie from start to finish and the ending left a big impact on me. I thought the character development of everyone was well done (Harry was a little rushed, but I was ok with that because we got enough of him in the original 3 movies).

Sorry some of you didn't like it, but I hope that doesn't deter others from seeing it who could possibly feel the same way I did. I really got choked up a number of times throughout.

I loved Raimi's Spider-Man 1 and 2, and despite the hate of part 3, I enjoyed it. I completely understand the complaints about it and I too wish they only glimpsed Venom and saved him for the 4th, but the movie wasn't as bad as some made it out to be to me.

So going into The Amazing Spider-Man, I expected it to be crap and nothing that could compare to those, especially since it was being remade so soon. I'm glad I ended up being wrong and really liking the first one. I went into part 2 with little to no expectations other than thinking I had seen every scene with all the dang trailers they posted for it, just hoping it would be a good movie. Glad I came out of it with something I really enjoyed.

Hopefully I'm not the only one?
    Last edited by Threat; 05-02-2014 at 12:57 AM.

What about the scenes missing from the trailers. Two specifically are when you hear Norman say "We have plans for you, Peter Parker". That could be a key scene, the two were never on screen together yet. I'm sure he isn't dead.

And the other scene when Harry shows Peter that he and May have been under "observation" and that it's "the question of the day".

Also, anyone pick up on the change in the scene where Spidey uses a manhole cover on Rhino at the end? The first trailer it's in his hand, but in the movie he swings it by a web:

Extraordinary Member

I actually thought Electro and Harry were too sympathetic. There was nobody too really play the bad guy except Oscorp. Which really suffered no consequences in the end.

They went a little hard on the back and forth tear jerky stuff. Which kind of took away from any emotional impact of Gwens death. Eh, not a feel good movie. I think the weakest part was the ending.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post

That was my major complaint about Raimi's movies, that none of the villains were truly, inherently bad; they were all victims of circumstance, more or less. And now it seems like Webb is following that same path. Can Sony use the Kingpin? Because these movies really need a dose of "bad guy who enjoys being a bad guy."
    I mean im saying though. Electro was this social misfit/ genius who had his designs stolen by oscorp. He's imprisoned and tortured. Goes crazy for it and hes a badguy? I just didnt buy it. Harry either up until he drops Gwen. But yeah some real villians would add some tension and raise the stakes.

BANNED

I heard there was a Stark-related easter egg in the movie. Is this true?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I mean im saying though. Electro was this social misfit/ genius who had his designs stolen by oscorp. He's imprisoned and tortured. Goes crazy for it and hes a badguy? I just didnt buy it. Harry either up until he drops Gwen. But yeah some real villians would add some tension and raise the stakes.
    I think Rhino and Venom despite short appearances are bad guys who enjoyed bad(although in Rhino is one who is going to make multiple appearances and is enjoyable as a campy villain). Electro in 3 appearances is a more sympathetic villain driven crazy(also including Spectacular Spider-Man and the 2003 MTV cartoon as well and sort of the comics when talking about his past) although I think in the case of Jamie's Electro who already had mental problems and an inferiority complex and an obsession of sorts(MTV Electro was popularity and Sally, TSSM Electro as Greg Weisman said " he's insisting that until he is cured, he IS Electro and not Max. He doesn't (in his way) want the two confused." before he became more or less Doc Ock's lackey) all it took was the little reaction to drive him insane although I hope he plays a more darker serious version of Electro and might be the first sympathetic villain who doesn't necessarily want or tries to redeem himself(Norman realizes he wasn't the most attentive father and apologizes to Harry for that and pleads with Spider-Man not to tell Harry about his secret before he dies, Doc Ock sacrifices himself in order to save the city, Sandman makes peace with Spider-Man before disappearing, Harry sacrifices himself to save Spidey, Lizard when cured tries to help Peter back up on Oscorp tower) and might actually come back in the sequel along with Harry and Rhino.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ironman2978 View Post
    I think Rhino and Venom despite short appearances are bad guys who enjoyed bad(although in Rhino is one who is going to make multiple appearances and is enjoyable as a campy villain). Electro in 3 appearances is a more sympathetic villain driven crazy(also including Spectacular Spider-Man and the 2003 MTV cartoon as well and sort of the comics when talking about his past) although I think in the case of Jamie's Electro who already had mental problems and an inferiority complex and an obsession of sorts(MTV Electro was popularity and Sally, TSSM Electro as Greg Weisman said " he's insisting that until he is cured, he IS Electro and not Max. He doesn't (in his way) want the two confused." before he became more or less Doc Ock's lackey) all it took was the little reaction to drive him insane although I hope he plays a more darker serious version of Electro and might be the first sympathetic villain who doesn't necessarily want or tries to redeem himself(Norman realizes he wasn't the most attentive father and apologizes to Harry for that and pleads with Spider-Man not to tell Harry about his secret before he dies, Doc Ock sacrifices himself in order to save the city, Sandman makes peace with Spider-Man before disappearing, Harry sacrifices himself to save Spidey, Lizard when cured tries to help Peter back up on Oscorp tower) and might actually come back in the sequel along with Harry and Rhino.

Rhino was really nothing more than a comic relief cameo, not a real character. As far as Electro goes, he falls into the same category as most of the previous villains in that it wasn't until after he got powers that he turned "bad." And that's fine in some cases, because power can corrupt. (It also makes them a pointed contrast to Peter, who gained power and became a better person for it.) But, on some levels, it sort of limits them, because (at least how most of them have been portrayed) that undercurrent of humanity/compassion remains as a leavening agent. Electro wasn't really "evil" so much as he was kind of sad and maladjusted. He was almost childlike. I'd just like to see some villains with the kind of calculating ruthlessness that comes from a long history of experience at giving the middle finger to the conventions and rules of society.

Amazing Member

Did anyone notice the time of Gwen's death..? 1:21.. the issue number of The Amazing Spider-Man comic that Gwen died. I thought that was a nice nod to the fans.

BANNED

Is there a Stan Lee cameo in this movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    Is there a Stan Lee cameo in this movie?
    Yes, at the high school graduation.

BANNED

Greatastic.