Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    I bet each issue will be $4.99 (With #1 and #9 being $5.99) like Civil War and Monsters Unleashed
    That would depend on the number of pages each issue is, wouldn't it?

Anyway, I only read Civil War II because it intersected with the books I read and then I kept reading it out of obligation. This time, the books I've read have changed so I might be able to avoid the story. Which is why I'm pissed off that I'm kind of intrigued by this. I've enjoyed the Nick Spencer stuff I've read (especially Standoff). I appreciate that this event seems well-planned as opposed to last second. And there's just a sense of buzz and excitement that I wasn't expecting. That being said, I have to read a lot of Spencer's work to catch up, it seems.

ETA: According to Reddit issue #0 is 48 pages and only $4.99, so they're actually discounting high-page count books, it seems.
    Last edited by Mike_Murdock; 02-10-2017 at 05:18 PM.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Incredible Member hedgehogvampire's Avatar

I'm actually pretty excited for this. I have no idea why, I have not read any of Steve's or Sam's Captain America comics or really have any interest in any of them but this event does sound cool. I hope the Uncanny Avengers are involve in this, the Human Torch is on the cover so maybe. Also that cover looks awesome, sure Storm is wearing her pre-resurrXtion outfit and for some reason Old Man Logan has brown hair but other then that this is a beautiful cover. It will be cool to see how this whole Hydra-Cap affects the Marvel universe.
    My pull list: Sonic the Hedgehog, TMNT, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Marauders, X-men, Excalibur

I am really looking forward to this. I have been LOVING what Nick has been doing with the Cap books, and frankly I think the whole HydraCap things is going to be looked back on as a classic story. Fingers crossed this event gives him a good send off. Plus it will be nice to see an event that brings the worlds of the MU together, rather then apart.

It could be interesting but I'm still feeling a bit burned from CW2 so I think it's time to make that financial stand and skip this event entirely. I also read that Marvel plans to launch some more "familiar" titles in the fall, so Ill save my money for those instead in hopes something good pops up rather than another multi-book crossover mess that ends up being little more than an advertisement for future events.

As long as OML keeps on track I'll be content for now.

I'm assuming there will be crossover books tied into the main 9 issues? I wonder how much the issue count will be?

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I'm assuming there will be crossover books tied into the main 9 issues? I wonder how much the issue count will be?
    Rumor is there won't be as much tie ins as CW2 and one shots will fill in the POVs.

Team books will likely tie in sans Ultimates, Royals, GOTG.

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    Rumor is there won't be as much tie ins as CW2 and one shots will fill in the POVs.

Team books will likely tie in sans Ultimates, Royals, GOTG.
    Thanks mreddie.

What I'm looking forward to is the political landscape that this all brings up. What led to the DoS, Rogers, being in control when he innitiated the Secret Empire and how does it relate to Donald Trump? Seeing its Nick Spencer running things, his expertise in politics has me interested on what he will say about America.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Yeah, I think Marvel isn't putting all their eggs in one basket for awhile when it comes to events and artists. While it's nice to have the consistency throughout, if you plan it right with multiple artists, it shouldn't be jarring. I think the only event that really warranted sticking with one artist, regardless of the delays, was with Ribic on Secret Wars. That needed to have him all the way through or else something would've been lost.

The line-up of artist on this is spectacular enough that you know this is going to be one gorgeous series. And if it keeps it hitting on time, all the better. I think readers feel burned and fatigued if an event runs too far past it's scheduled end date and it screws up the launches of whatever is coming after it. One of the things I like about IvX and Monsters Unleashed is that because there's no delays, the momentum of the story isn't dissipated.

As for Secret Empire in general, I'm beyond stoked for it. One reason why Secret Wars was so good was because it was Hickman bringing a long-running story to it's planned culmination. It wasn't an event that just got pulled out of someone's ass, it was the pay off to a huge storyline. Likewise with this, Spencer's has building to this for many months now and has meticulously laid down the tracks for it. I thought Hickman's Secret Wars was arguably the best event in Marvel's history but I suspect this might well end up topping it.
    I love Hickman's Avengers a lot but I agree that this event might top Secret wars .I honestly feel that this event is going to be a classic .Honestly I feel sorry for everyone thats not reading Cap steve Rogers book because in their minds, they think its probably another stupid event but they have no idea at all

So with Tony already quickly bouncing back for this event, it'd be nice to see Rhodey and Bruce back as well given how crummy their deaths in Civil War II were, though I'm not expecting Secret Empire to be damage control for Civil War II's issues (or at least, not exactly).

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Is Spider-Man leading the resistance?

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Is Spider-Man leading the resistance?
    That's even more hard to believe then him being the lead of this event .

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's even more hard to believe then him being the lead of this event .
    It wouldn't be that hard to believe if Marvel would actually treat the character with the respect he's due for how long he's endured in this business and against the circumstances he's been placed in. Hell, Spider-Man and pre-HYDRA Cap are rather similar in certain respects, both being skinny nerds (Steve an art nerd, Peter a science nerd) with strong moral compasses who gained great power and ultimately chose to use it to protect and defend others in following with their consciences, becoming probably the two greatest exemplars of heroism in the Marvel Universe. The difference, of course, is that Captain America usually enjoys far greater public support and acclaim than Spider-Man does, as one is costumed in patriotic symbolism and the other has powers and a motif based on a creepy arachnid that most people are already scared of and uneasy around, so it's easier to demonize that guy than it is to do so with the other guy, not that that hasn't happened before. In spite of that, nearly every future-set Marvel story has Spider-Man, not Captain America, hailed as the greatest hero of his time period, so why not finally capitalize on that and start laying the groundwork to make that a reality? Granted, it shouldn't exactly be at Steve Rogers's expense, but if this event ends or climaxes with Spider-Man helping (Sam Wilson and Winter Soldier) undo Kobik's altering of Steve's history and restore him to his truest self, I could see that working just fine.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    It wouldn't be that hard to believe if Marvel would actually treat the character with the respect he's due for how long he's endured in this business and against the circumstances he's been placed in. Hell, Spider-Man and pre-HYDRA Cap are rather similar in certain respects, both being skinny nerds (Steve an art nerd, Peter a science nerd) with strong moral compasses who gained great power and ultimately chose to use it to protect and defend others in following with their consciences, becoming probably the two greatest exemplars of heroism in the Marvel Universe. The difference, of course, is that Captain America usually enjoys far greater public support and acclaim than Spider-Man does, as one is costumed in patriotic symbolism and the other has powers and a motif based on a creepy arachnid that most people are already scared of and uneasy around, so it's easier to demonize that guy than it is to do so with the other guy, not that that hasn't happened before. In spite of that, nearly every future-set Marvel story has Spider-Man, not Captain America, hailed as the greatest hero of his time period, so why not finally capitalize on that and start laying the groundwork to make that a reality? Granted, it shouldn't exactly be at Steve Rogers's expense, but if this event ends or climaxes with Spider-Man helping (Sam Wilson and Winter Soldier) undo Kobik's altering of Steve's history and restore him to his truest self, I could see that working just fine.
    Did Steve sell his relationship with Sharon to Mephisto ?

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

This article talking about secret empire from ign seems to imply it will In fact release on time and finish in August with the zero issue being the ninth issue and issue eight being the finale and like I assumed there is rotating artists between Steve mcviven , leniel Francis yu, Daniel acuna, and Andrea sorrentino so they can release two issues a month starting in May and concluding in August with the zero issue prologue releasing on April 19th.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/02/10...arvel-universe

Spencer since last month has been writing Steve Rogers twice monthly and that is continuing through this month March and April so I have a feeling unlike bendis with civil war ii this may actually release on time.
    Last edited by Ianbarreilles; 02-11-2017 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    there is rotating artists between Steve mcviven , leniel Francis yu, Daniel acuna, and Andrea sorrentino so they can release two issues a month starting in May and concluding in August with the zero issue prologue releasing on April 19th.
    Given the artists, this seems like it'll be a pretty jarring read in terms of art style.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja