Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    I second Locke & Key, Providence and Strange Embrace.

Checkout Ben Templesmiths work too.
    Oh man Providence that is some disturbing/mystery stuff, Alan Moore really nailed after the awful pool fish story.
    Last edited by mojotastic; 02-12-2017 at 08:13 PM.

Things Steve Niles has written are probably going to work depending on a person's taste. The "Cal McDonald" stuff amounts to "Private Detective Working Cases With A Ghoul Sidekick".

The new series from the old 100 Bullets creative team is a Prohibition-era werewolf story called Moonshine.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mojotastic View Post
    Oh man Providence that is more disturbing/mystery stuff, Alan Moore really nailed after the awful pool fish story.
    Agreed, it is much better. Even though there is a similarly disturbing sex scene in it, the build up to it is much longer and it's framed in so much crazy creepiness that it worked better and didn't feel as gratuitous.

I have to say, though, that the long prose sections at the end of each issue can get a bit tedious when they offer the entire content of the book again, only adding a little more context and perspective. Wondering how that will work in the collected edition.

Mighty Member

Special thanks to Carabas for cluing me in to Fatale. Currently reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by mojotastic View Post
    yep, only 5 issues but worth it.
    Thank you.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Special thanks to Carabas for cluing me in to Fatale. Currently reading it.
    Just to point it out, Fatale is not the only time that creative team has worked together. They have a pretty incredible batting average. While it's not all horror, most of it is pretty brilliant.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Well, for whatever it's worth, I've always been partial to Tomb of Dracula. The work by Marv Wolfman, Gene Colan and Tom Palmer on that book was top notch in my eyes.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I definitely agree with the following:

Uzumaki (which is Junji Ito's spiral story)
    Strange Embrace
    Locke and Key (one of the best things I've read in years)
    Alan Moore's Swamp Thing
    Mark Millar's Swamp Thing

To that I'll add:
    Gyo - also Junji Ito

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    Can I ask what the basic premise for Locke and Key is? I'm kind of curious myself as it seems really popular on this thread.
    Probably some details wrong, but basically the surviving members of a family move out to a family home in a small town after the dad is killed in an attack. When they are there there is an evil spirit tormenting them and they keep finding keys with strange abilities.

I'm trying to not give away too much. It's really really good, and can get really creepy at times. The art is a little off-putting at first - being a bit too cartoonish for the genre, but it does get the personalities across well and it grew on me.

I've been dipping my toes into horror manga lately. The aforementioned "Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service" adds a lot of comedy to the horror mix.

I've read most of Junji Ito's work and it's pretty much all good. I've tried some stuff by Hideshi Hino but my library only has one book. Umezu's "Cat Eyed Boy" is good.

The various EC reprints are great, although they can of course be formulaic, which doesn't bother me that much but YMMV. Now the Warren magazines- Creepy, Eerie, et al do a great job with the same thing but took it to another level, especially in the early days. So many great artists contributing to those.
    My mom thinks I'm cool.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Clean Room- Gail Simone (looks interesting, haven't read that, though)