Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Post your first X-Men misconceptions or misunderstandings - for funsies

So the silliest thing in my case was as a kid watching the X-Men Saturday morning cartoon. I actually thought Wolverine could create electricity with his claws. Sound silly? Watch the intro again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAkL2-vh2Sk

It wasn't until I started really getting hardcore into the X-Men that I realized that was just for show. In all my years I've never seen him do anything with his claws other than slicin' and dicin' (and flipping people off)

What did you get wrong when you first got into the X-Men?

I used to think Cyclops' beam was really really powerful. As in, can easily kill Superman powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I used to think Cyclops' beam was really really powerful. As in, can easily kill Superman powerful.
    Wait...it can't? I thought he was just taking it easy most of the time...

Incredible Member

I thought Charles Xavier was a good person, a misconception from the movies, then read the comics and well...

This is most recent but, I thought Bendis' run was really goood before reading it and it turns out it was meh.

I thought the Phoenix literally made Jean immortal so I was mad when I read she was dead and didn't came back. Well, I still am.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by uebersoldat View Post
    So the silliest thing in my case was as a kid watching the X-Men Saturday morning cartoon. I actually thought Wolverine could create electricity with his claws. Sound silly? Watch the intro again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAkL2-vh2Sk

It wasn't until I started really getting hardcore into the X-Men that I realized that was just for show. In all my years I've never seen him do anything with his claws other than slicin' and dicin' (and flipping people off)

What did you get wrong when you first got into the X-Men?
    Also from the cartoon introduction, it made him look like a savage jungle man, not a Canadian.

I didn't know Jubilee was Asian and I thought she had blue eyes. I also thought Jean's true power was fainting.
    Last edited by MaddieGrey; 01-03-2017 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaddieGrey View Post
    I didn't know Jubilee was Asian and I thought she had blue eyes. I also thought Jean's true power was fainting.
    Omg ������ in TAS that was indeed Jean's primary ability.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Space Colony "Londenion", Side 1 (in-character)

Having been introduced to Cyclops in "Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends", I thought his optic blasts were fired BY his visor a la Spidey's web-shooters discharging webbing.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

Thank GOD for X'97. Cautious about "From the Ashes". Please no more Blue vs. Orange.

I thought Mr Sinister was a mutant and Apocalypse something else. It's actually the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by uebersoldat View Post
    Wait...it can't? I thought he was just taking it easy most of the time...
    Nope, it cannot kill Superman (or Hulk, Thor etc.), not easily, and not with much effort either.

He probably is taking it easy much of the time, but then he uses it on pretty weak targets too.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Oh uebersoldat, this is fun ^ ^ !

My first contact with X-Men was Secret Wars II #1, go figure! I thought that Nightcrawler was in love with Rogue, because she was badly beaten and he was like 'Mein Gott, if she's wounded...!'.

Also, my first New Mutants issues were #37-38 (the Beyonder again), and I wasn't entirely sure about Wolfsbane's gender, because her name was so weird and her look so androgynous...

I thought Morph was supposed to be a REALLY big deal in the X-Mythos thanks to the 90's show pimping him

Oh and for the longest time I thought Dazzler was canonically bisexual for some reason.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 01-04-2017 at 03:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I thought Morph was supposed to be a REALLY big deal in the X-Mythos thanks to the 90's show pimping him

Oh and for the longest time I thought Dazzler was canonically bisexual for some reason.
    I knew that. I absolutely knew that. I did not have any misconceptions about Dazzler's sexuality. Uh huh, not one bit. I absolutely knew that before this post. Yep.

BANNED

None serioulsy. From the first one I read I already knew that Cyclops was a great leader (but he was dead during this time. It was when Rogue was leading the X-Men) because Rogue was thinking something like " What Scott your great leader will do in this situation ? ". They were also the whole part with Jean saying that he's not dead and that he's somewhere, talking to Nathan saying how much she missed him etc...So I was like "Dman it, this guy should be really something" and I was not wrong

However, I thought Xavier was a great and good guy but in the end he's more grey than that (which is even better for me). Lately, I start redaing the first Uncanny and it really suprised me how Xavier was really harsh with his students almost like tyranic haha.